The Recline and Fall of Western Civilization

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingBear, Feb 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...are_a_terrible_idea_and_should_be_banned.html

As a (mostly) non-recliner myself, if reclining seats disappeared, I would do just fine. How about everyone else? I do like the idea of the slight recline built-in, to make it seem like no more is necessary.

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    non recliner here as well.

On a flight from DFW-TUS. we were unfortunate to get the seats in front of the Exit row. Mapwife always takes the window. That seat does not recline. Immediately after takeoff, the girl in front of her reclines the seat completely back. Then proceeds to sit sideways in the seat to talk to her boyfriend. We did point out that mapwife's seat did not recline and that the seat back was crowding her. The girl ignores the request to move the seat up.

(If I had known about the sneezing trick then, I would have had mapwife and I develop severe allergies for most of the flight)

bez7 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife can reliably produce a sneeze attack if fed a peppermint candy. I haven't used that to my advantage yet, but I am generally prepared with little mints in my backpack.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hardly ever recline, unless the seat in front of me reclines which forces me to. If economy had more space then I'd recline more. 6'2" mrsbez is crammed in econ and reclining seats end up hurting her, but few are ever kind enough to raise their seats...but that just means that they endure a 'bumpy' flight :)

Mapsmith, Scottrick and skyvan like this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I routinely recline my seat when resting and generally don't ask permission of the person behind me to do it. I don't generally feel discommoded by the person in front of me reclining either. To me, the seats are meant to recline and having both yours and the one in front of you recline during a flight is just part of the package.

skyvan likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too routinely recline my seat when in first class or economy comfort. Not sure the last time I wasn't in economy comfort or first class but when I am in coach if the person behind me seems to be tall I usually ask if they're okay with it as being a tall person myself I sometimes warn the person in front of me that if they recline the seat may not actually go backwards as my knees are already jammed in to their seat in the upright position.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find myself less comfortable when my seat is reclined. Spending that much time on a plane, the last thing I want is to be slouching for several hours. But... if the person in front reclines, I usually have no other choice. My biggest reason for flying UA is to get E+ and keep my seat upright regardless of what the guy in front does.