The Raintree Cafe - Honiara

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by MissBurrill, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    There aren't many places in the Solomon Islands where you can enjoy a pizza. I think the best place is the Raintree Cafe.
    Thursday 25 June 09 038.JPG

This waterfront property looks out to Iron Bottom Sound. When I was in Honiara I would relax and enjoy a banana smoothie and a pizza. The service is rather slow but the pizzas are great. We would phone ahead with our order but they often take well over an hour for pizzas to appear. They appearently only turn on the pizza oven when they get pizza orders.

I always had a vehicle so I had no issues getting there. If you're game catch the White River bus there. Otherwise grab a taxi (negotiate the fare first). One word of warning (at least for us girls) which one of my friends learnt the hard way. Go to the toilet before you visit! They have a toilet which is very basic by our standards. I'll leave it to your imagination.

It only wants to let me post one photo. More to follow....

2. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    The view.
    IBC.jpg

3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love that the definition of most roads in the Solomons is a loose collection of potholes going in a particular direction.

It is impossible to speed.
    Malaria is an occupational hazzard deemed more acceptable than the depressive side effects of the anti-malarials.
    The pace of life is ambling.
    The place is unfailingly beautiful.

4. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to see another person who has visited and loves the Solomon Islands too.

5. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does MissBurrill dive?

Maybe I can route a NZ fare via Honiara some time. :)

6. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    MissB doesn't live in the Solomons, but did a couple of years ago. I just wanted to add a restaurant review from somewhere unusual.

It's a few years since I've dived. My friends who dived there loved it.