The prospect of flying TAM mildly depresses me

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by excelsior, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its a terrible feeling to be.a very frequent flyer on an airline and shudder at the thought of having to fly it. I fly TAM to JFK Friday Back MIA-BSB next weekend I fly them to Paris on July 9 back July 12 All business Class

I feel mildy depressed at the prospect.

I dread the 9 gate changes early in the morning because INFRAERO is a joke and TAM has no systems

I dread the danger of the full face of TAMs incompetence with IRROPS. .

I dread the thought of missing my connection because of late first flight and then having to deal with a fashion victim type TAM employee in GRU

I dread the thought of being excluded from any op up just because Im not Brazilian and the gate agent cant be bothered to speak to me, my status nothwithstanding.(200,000 plus miles in Business over two eyars and no upgrade..ive seen pax without status cheerfully whisked ahead several times )

Dread the thjought of peeping into the rubbish bin with a piano -- the TAM lounge in GRU -- and finding even the United RCC a quantum improvement

Dread the thought of a fale conosco that brings back an incomprehensible response.
    that belongs more in a philosophy department than in an airline and knowing that I shall never ever ever be able to speak to a senior manager of this airline as they are way too busy attending fashion shows and selecting carpets

Dread the inflight magazine with silly nonsense of interest only to fashion victims and the drone about the TAM museum and nothing but nothing on how they intend improving their services or rationalising their fleet or...anythign pertinent to running an airline at all

Dread the ""yes you can pay for a comfort seat (in domestic) BUT you must speak Portuguese before we given you one and once youve proved you can to my satisfaction (ohhh you can! LIndu!) you must pay only with a Brazilian credit card and oh you have a Brazilian credit card now do you have a CPF? See thats why we dont advertise these seats because then silly foreigners like you may actually ASK for them just like you are doing Deus, why cant you just sit quietly in the seat you bought?""

And then ask myself..why are you flying with this bunch of jokers. Professional compulsions apart (and they are there) whats my choice ? A US airline? Air france which is 250 per cent more?

Oh dear... Please God get me someplace else like it used to be ...where I had a choice of classy airlines... and I promise NEVER to complain about BA Lufthansa or even THAI!

OY-JFS, zpaul, jbcarioca and 4 others like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still trying to figure out how you really feel about all of this.....:p

sobore, zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  3. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    :confused::mad::eek::rolleyes:

Lufthansa Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  4. heramato
    Original Member

heramato Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im voting you for the post of the year :) I have to get a bunch of flights with them in 2 weeks and I feel exactly like you. Is the first airline in my life where Im flying C and F and Im not looking forward to it.
    Feels more like a hassle.
    You forgot about paying a C or even F fare and having to share the cabin with family/employes which are way better treated than you. And if you have the guts for interrupting their chat at the galley because you want a glass of water you'll get that "what a pain in the ass this guy is" look from the FA. And I do speak portuguese!!!

sobore, OY-JFS, excelsior and 2 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do empathize with excelsior and heramato too. Excelsior may be more expressive than many, especially after a few g&t's, but still...

OTOH, I still enjoy TAM and have ferw of these problems. Of course I don't originate in BSB and rarely must transit GRU. Not only is it easier here in GIG but I have seen non-Portuguese-speakers treated quite well. I am not an apologist for INFRAERO, nor do I know anyone who is, including the Brazilian President, BTW.

Otherwise we will not have major carrier improvements in Brazil until we have major capacity increases and less demand increases. Despite my gripes, when the market is growing by more than 20% per year and the infrastructure is only now being improved we will not see major improvements quickly. I am sure we agree about that.

Remember the Indian airports ten years ago? That was still worse than this. However, the massive investments in Indian airports have already made traveling life far easier. Sometime soon we'll be able to say that here in Brazil, I hope!

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    amen !!!

OY-JFS and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  7. excelsior
    Original Member

excelsior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must say that in the midst of my depression, the TAM cabin crew are the best thing about the airline, in my opinion among the best in the world. Ive recently flown both TAM and SQ in Business and (if you dont mind cabin crew that dont speak english well) they are on par... unfortunately with the rest of the product, there is a huuuuuge difference on every count.

+1 on the family-employee thing; you know, that appears to be a large developing economy curse...ive seen the same on American Airlines, United, Air China Air India, South African...

And the state of GRU nothwithstanding, there are many things TAM can do to improve their slum like lounge immediately...taking down gaudy bookcases, junking the piano, adding seats, and making sure F&B supplies are up to scratch would do the job.

Also some sense of pride and ownership in the capital may help improve services out of BSB. Such seems completely absent in Brasil. You should see the Itamaraty lounge used to receive VIPs in Brasilia...ummmm!

OY-JFS likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im going to fly TAM with the family in early Feb... its going to be EZE-GRU and GRU-SSA... in cattle class. I will report how things go... but I dont have very high expectations. I will start a different thread with some info request on lounges at GRU where I can use my Priority Pass cards. Thanks

9. heramato
    Original Member

heramato Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use your Priority Pass card on United Airlines lounge. Also Smiles lounge and AAdmirals. I've never been to AA's lounge at GRU.
    In my opinion the best lounge you can get for *A members is United Lounge. More comfortable and better food than TAM's lounge.
    Smiles lounge, if not crowded, has a nice area at the back with some massage couches. Not good food. If you're travelling with kids, they use to have a small area with some toys.
    Enjoy your trip!

OY-JFS likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe the OP of this thread was right after all...