The problem with editing a post

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by torbster, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    More a potential problem really:

I could make a post like "hit 'like' if you dig vanilla ice cream!", a bunch of MPs with a sweet-tooth would like. I could then go back and change my post entirely to, lets say "like this post if you support Mubarak!". As far as I can see, there would be no trace of my original post, the likes would still be there - but the ppl who 'liked' wouldn't get a notice that the post they liked (but may not like so much anymore) had been changed.

If you lose likes when you edit a post, it might dishearten ppl from correcting/maintaining/improving their content, and thats no good.
    Showing what was edited in the post itself could make it long and chaotic to read in some cases.
    Simply marking the post as "edited" would give no information as to what was written before the edit, but it might work as a link to display what the post looked like before the edit, which is maybe my favorite solution of the ones I can think of just off the top of my head now.

It's not a big issue, but I think we should discuss it before the 'official' opening, and before it turns into a problem..
    What's the best way to handle this?

Chimpy, SC Flier and barelyelite like this.
  2. These are really good points. But this is not a pay or membership site, so some features are not exactly as important.
    Wiki is great for showing edit history. Being that a post is predominantly the poster's content, they should not need to show everyone what they changed if they have the right and ability to do so. Alternatively, it has its usefulness as you pointed out.

I like the idea that likes are LOST :p

3. jeff3380
    Original Member

jeff3380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    further problem - when i edit a post, it doesnt update the bottom to say "edited on ___" - it leaves the original posting time. so you wouldnt know it was edited.

Chimpy, Travelman and kenbo like this.
  4. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Torbster, I liked your post. Please don't edit it now! :p

lin821, Chimpy and torbster like this.
  5. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    no editing = site death.

no master threads, no stickies, no updating of any information of any kind.

6. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also suggest that "Last edited on date/time" be added to the post.

Of course, the current quote function, while great in that you can delete sentences to reduce the length of the quote, could be abused and the person doing the quoting could easily change what the person actually said .... but then hopefully the maturity level of the users of these forums would hopefully keep them from even contemplating such actions or hopefully others wouldly quick take action against any user who might abuse the quote function.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    there is no "last edited" here with edit history for OP/mods to look at? wow.

edit history is extremely helpful for OP sometimes, and is the only way mods/admin/etc can prove anything.

Pete likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes, that is simple and solves the problem.
    By the way, you might want to edit your post and change "editted". [​IMG]

AmericanGirl and Chimpy like this.
  9. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    And since there's no record of edits, you can claim you had it right all along!:p

10. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course i had it right all along ... all of you must have changed it while quoting me just to show what could be done by mischievous elves :D

AmericanGirl and barelyelite like this.
  11. jeff3380
    Original Member

jeff3380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    hey those elves cost me a lot to employ. and they prefer to be called short people.

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  12. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could the credit for the likes be retained by the OP but no longer displayed if they existed prior to the edit time?

torbster and Gargoyle like this.
  13. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well said! Surely one option would be to just let things be the way they are as well. Personally I don't really think this would be a huge problem either, if somebody wants to abuse a forum like this they'll usually find a way to do so anyway. But it's always good to get a discussion going and see what other people think, and it usually brings out other good topics like the ones jeff3380 and Travelman points out. :)

cockpitvisit and Travelman like this.
  14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The problem with changing like points is, how does the system differentiate between fixing a minor typo and changing the entire meaning of the thread? The difference between "I love Mubarak" and "I hate Mubarak" is just a matter of changing three letters. The difference between "I like isle seats" and "I like aisle seats" is four letters.

Chimpy likes this.
  15. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the difference just one letter - not four letters ... just the letter "a" before the word "isle"?

Anyway, your point is well illustrated.

lin821 and Gargoyle like this.
  16. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    No surprise. He's an artist. [​IMG]

I figured that my proposal was better than nothing, though I felt that this flaw was clear. I remain mixed in my opinion about liking posts vs. quoting them to give a thumbs up.

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never make a tyypo anyway [​IMG]

lin821 and cockpitvisit like this.
  18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I could have found a closer example, but the isle/aisle issue is like fingernails on a blackboard for me. World travelers should know the difference!

jackal likes this.
  19. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to like your post until I realised you were probably going to change it to "like this post if you support Australia" or something like that.

20. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the problem I often noticed. An edited post (for correcting a mistake, as it is the case here), remains quoted with the mistake. I suppose it depends if the change happened before or after the quotation? Example:

• 744 Original Member

charlilo said:
      I'd say be a mouth... Ambassadors have no power in the real world. They are the mouth of their country. Whose mouth will our ambassadors be?​
      But we at least get some kind of diplomatic immunity right? Like being able to crash to the front of the check in and security lines, get our luggage first and not be held accountable for our actions?
      It would be the ultimate DYKWIA experience. The ambassador just flashes his/her MP badge, like those lame Southwest commercials re: baggage fees.​
      [​IMG] [​IMG] GOLD -----|----- You'll find me on [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, your last sentence may hold the key to one possible solution. This may not be something the MP admins can do, but I assume MP is poised to become an 800-pound gorilla in the XenForo world and thus has substantial pull over the development of the software.

What if an alert were generated if a post you liked has been edited? It would show up in the alerts tab, which most MPers seem like they do review. If I were to see an alert that said, "A post by XXX that you liked in the thread YYY has been edited," I could then review the edit (perhaps the link could lead to the edit history, only accessible by the link in the alert so as to protect edit history content from other prying eyes) and choose whether to unlike the post.

Also, I do think there is value in showing an edit timestamp, but I do like (and take lots of advantage of) the short grace period that exists on FT. I'd like at least the same thing here.

Gargoyle and AmericanGirl like this.