The Possible Explanation for an Odd Airplane Photo That Went Viral This Weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-airplane-photo-that-went-viral-this-weekend/

[​IMG]

An alleged photo of a man wrapped in a thick plastic bag like a package went viral on Reddit this weekend, subsequently being picked up by a number of international news outlets, and some believe they have found an explanation.

While it was originally speculated that the man, described as an Orthodox Jew, sealed himself off to prevent touching someone of the opposite sex, others claim it was to act as a barrier in case the plane flew over a cemetery.

“This has nothing to do with women,” Reddit user thenewyorkgod wrote. “He is a cohen,’ descendant from the high holy priests of the temple and they are not allowed to walk into or fly over a cemetery, which would render them impure.”

Users linked to an Israeli news article from Haaretz on the issue, stating El Al airlines had “decided not to allow ultra-Orthodox Jews of priestly descent (kohanim) to seal themselves in plastic bags – normally used to transport cadavers – when flying over the Holon cemetery after take-off.”
    As a compromise, the airline redirected a number of flights to avoid the cemetery, saying allowing passengers to fly in sealed plastic bags would pose a safety issue.

Read More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-airplane-photo-that-went-viral-this-weekend/

GoodBoy, iolaire and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing, thanks for sharing, haven't heard of this story before. Let's me thinking about religion and travel.

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a position of pure ignorance - why is the sealed body of the plane not sufficient? If he's breathing in that bag, it's just as sealed as the plane is (meaning there are air holes/leaks).

Is this a symbolic gesture only, or is there some religious doctrine in judiasm that specifies that the individual must be "separated" from his environment vs. the entire vehicle?

Note: I'm NOT attempting to take this into an off-topic religion vs. superstition discussion. If I saw this, completely uninformed, on a US airline? I'd be VERY worried that the subject was about to disperse some chemical, etc. into the plane.

GoodBoy, ella and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it just one cemetery that matters or any cemetery during the flight?

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike Reed and GoodBoy like this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike Reed and GoodBoy like this.
  8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The correct way to say this is Ko haine.

GoodBoy likes this.
  9. i think that's the more reasonable and pragmatic decision, personally i'd be put off seeing a passenger wrapped up in a plastic bag like that, and certainly wouldn't want children or vulnerable people (those with special needs) to be exposed to that with the possible disastrous, and potentially fatal, results if they attempted to emulate that behaviour.

MX likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of:

sobore and GoodBoy like this.
  11. the latter category?

12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see that fellow wearing a seat belt over his "costume" either. The airline should not have approved it.

GoodBoy likes this.