The Perfect Storm

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by chef4u, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waiting for Hurricane Sandy to arrive. Still have no idea when it will land, but I'm flying out of EWR on AC Sunday night. AA has posted news about changes without charge, but nothing from AC as of yet. Any insight or suggestions? Should I contact AC, or wait til they post something?

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You pretty much have to wait if you want a free change. Sunday night you stand a decent chance of things still going OK out of EWR.

boondr and chef4u like this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

Still no definitive news about the NYC area :eek:

4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This morning, I booked a hotel in Hartford, Area. After the storm last year I had no power for a week. So I'm planning ahead. This morning at 6am booked two rooms best available fully refundable for Monday to Thursday next week, for $93.00. Went back tonight to modify the reservation, and the cheapest rate is now $204.00. I love it!

Jett Rink and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would have booked it as 4 individual nights, just in case they don't let you modify the reservation. Otherwise seems a smart play. Then again, no guarantee the hotel will have power. :oops:

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live perilously close to water in southern CT. We typically lose power for 1/2 to 5 days when storms like this come.

We're evacuating to midtown Manhattan this time. High enough ground that it won't be flooded (not even in zone C), and the power rarely goes out in Manhattan. People who went to the Stamford and Greenwich hotels ended up dark in some of the recent prior storms.

Jett Rink likes this.
  7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah my mistake I should have booked each night separately.

8. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called AC this morning. Even though the website said changes without penalty as of Monday, they were able to put me on an earlier flight tomorrow, no charge. :)

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC has postings on its site now for Monday and Tuesday. I'm getting in from IST on the UA flight tonight but too late to connect to the last AC flights to YYZ or YUL so overnighting. Have already changed to an earlier flight tomorrow morning but since my original itinerary is EWR-YUL-YTZ (max out the mileage, same $79 base fare) the site would not let me change the destination to YYZ though, so just booked me on an earlier set of flights, albeit with a warning on the EWR-YUL flight about its possible cancelation. Will call AC when I get to EWR and see about getting on one of the two morning non stops to YYZ. Both flights have 9s in most economy classes and the seat map looks pretty open. J is wide open on both flights. (UA has cancelled all its flights to/from YYZ tomorrow and Tuesday.) On Thursday I was fogged out of YTZ and had to have AC put me on the non stop ex-YYZ which they did. Rebooked into Y from a T+ fare, so used an upgrade (yes, just 1) to sit up front.

10. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, for those who care :rolleyes:, I made it out of EWR on AC765 (now back in YYZ :)) . Flight was overbooked by four, and lots of people were trying to get on earlier flights ex EWR. Let the insanity begin!

canucklehead likes this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

Glad you got out before the storm moved in. Trying to think in my head if I forgot anything when I left the apt on Fri (not returning til Sat). Looks like it may be a doozy on the Eastern Seaboard and into Ontario!

12. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny thing is...when I left EWR there was no rain. Seems like it's worse here in YYZ

13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrived at EWR tonight at 7:30 and concur, the weather's fine...about 60F, light winds, clear visibility...and just about everything tomorrow is cancelled...as many flights tonight. Tried to get onto the last AC flights out but they're full and were boarding when I got to Terminal A ticket counter. After landing and while waiting for our gate to clear of the outbound plane, called AC and discovered all tomorrow's flights are cancelled so got myself onto the first flight out Tuesday. But if the storm arrives tomorrow, it's unlikely to clear by Tuesday. Will spend the next hour checking out my options like taking Amtrak back to Toronto, or down to Washington or Baltimore and flying back to YYZ from there. Haven't checked the weather forecasts yet either, so will get settled into my room at the CP and explore my options. Ah, the perils of MRs on separate tickets.

BTW dropped by the PD counter in Terminal B and they wanted $1200 to fly out tonight. I can have a nice couple of days in NYC for $1200!

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Amtrak is mostly shut down in the area, too. Good luck!

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. So I discovered. As the MegaBus. Will rough it out at the CP EWR for another night or two. Went through this with the last big typhoon that hit south of Shanghai watching from my perch in the Royal Meridien. Opened an Amex insurance dossier so now just waiting out AC to cancel tomorrow morning's flight I am booked on and find something for Wednesday afternoon which is when I expect EWR to reopen. Rain and winds have finally arrived in the last few hours though earlier ceiling and visibility was still clear enough to see the towers of Manhattan...in addition to the empty gates at A terminal where AC's gates are (so I'll know when they've actually got something here). Now the ceiling is low and airfield foggy. Of course the current forecast of the storm path takes it over Lake Ontario just east of Toronto so EWR may open but YYZ could shut down next!

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are things holding up at EWR? The airport is closed so far but it appears that power may be back on now?

YULtide likes this.
  17. A friend of mine was at a Holiday Inn in Sarnia,Ont last night and the roof over his room blew off. They immediately closed the hotel and he had to go find a room at another hotel.

18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had no wifi for the past few days, nor power at the hotel until yesterday morning. Flights started up yesterday afternoon at EWR. I went over around noon for my AC flight to YUL (the only one AC had scheduled) and even the UA Club didn't have wifi. The terminals were pretty devoid of passengers at that hour and it was quite eerie to see EWR so empty. And to look across from my room over the past couple of days and not see any aircraft at all. First flights in were just after 8a, as I watched four freighters land and taxi to the FedEx and UPS terminals. First scheduled carrier plane arrived just past 10a, a UA 757. Then through the morning one by one UA planes started to return though mainly widebodies that had flown out to Europe and Asia on Sunday night. Lots of international flights on the board but hundreds of the domestic flights showed "cancelled". When I went through TSA at A Terminal it was devoid of anyone but staff. Was told I was only the third passenger they had processed yesterday morning.

I've been through about six confirmed flights that have been cancelled but AC has been good about rebooking me on the first "next flight" out. At the moment they've put on an extra section to YUL, and have one flight to YYZ. Am on the YUL flight this afternoon around 3p, connecting on to YYZ. My T+ ticket is now showing Latitude, so upgraded both segments for just 1 eCredit...instead of 6. Without power, I had been rationing the use of my cell phone (the hotel system was knocked out) to call the SE desk every time I got a text message advising of a "schedule change" meaning another flight was being cancelled. The agents have all been helpful in getting me onto the next flights.

It would be nice to get home this evening, though since we got power back yesterday I have been able to see on TV the extent of the damage and what the people who live here have to face, and continue to live with for quite a long time in the future. I also appreciate the staff here at the hotel who have much to deal with beyond keeping us happy. (It was a bit of a relief and joy yesterday to see a couple of children at the EWR terminal decked out in Hollowe'en garb, and also back at the hotel in the evening.) And despite it all, I've not encountered tempers flaring. People have pulled together and been very helpful to one another.

YULtide likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LGA expected to open this morning with a single runway operating under VFR. Should be interesting.

21. New York City Flights Resume: LaGuardia, Newark, J.F. Kennedy

October 31, 2012 – With the re-opening of all three New York City area airports: LaGuardia, Newark and J.F. Kennedy following their closure due to tropical storm Sandy, effective Thursday November 1 Air Canada and Air Canada Express will resume scheduled flights to LaGuardia, with arrivals and departures at the airport starting after 09:00 ET, in addition to its full schedule to Newark and J.F. Kennedy airports. Air Canada began operating a limited schedule of flights to Newark October 31.
    Air Canada and Air Canada Express resumed their normal schedule of flights on Wednesday October 31 to/from: Philadelphia, Boston, Washington National, Washington Dulles, Baltimore, Harrisburg PA, Providence RI and Hartford CT.
    As the full schedule of flights gradually resumes to New York City area airports, Air Canada will make every effort to operate larger aircraft than originally scheduled in order to accommodate as many customers as possible, and get them to their destination as soon as possible.
    To facilitate rebooking for affected customers, change fees have been waived for flights to/from New York City area airports until Friday November 2. Customers are strongly encouraged to consult the latest information online at www.aircanada.com and rebook themselves online using our self-service rebooking tool in order to avoid longer call centre wait times.
    We thank our customers for their patience and encourage them to continue consulting Travel Alerts at aircanada.com for updates.

22. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like AC flights from EWR are running without cancellations so far -- but other airlines (include AC codeshares) are still showing a lot of cancelled flights.

Hope you get home today!

YULtide likes this.
  23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, home at last! EWR-YUL on an A319 and YUL-YYZ on an E190, both in the comfort of J. The adventure is over for me...but will play out for quite a long time for millions down there. UA is still not up to its full schedule, mainly because its regionals are not flying all that much yet. There were dozens of CRJs and E145s parked on the tarmac around A Terminal but the boards showed lots of "cancelled" to smaller cities. Crowds were unusually light in that terminal (probably because so few UA regionals were flying) and there were open seats on many of the AC flights. However, it was most confusing because the departure boards were showing the AC Regional flight numbers instead of the AC extra sections that had replaced them. And online, half the operating flights to YYZ and YUL didn't show up on the booking engine, but did on the mobile listing of operating flights, nor did they show on Expert Flyer.

24. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Landed in LGA last night and it was very quiet!
    Jetbridge smelled pretty musty and damp!

Noticed cots set up in front of the LGA MLL this morning. Lots of disposable pillows and sheets and a few people who may have been stranded because of the storm.

YULtide likes this.
  25. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suspect these may have also been for staffers who couldn't get home for various reasons too.