The Peninsula Hotel Shanghai

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Kalboz, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read this review of The Peninsula Hotel Shanghai and you might change your summer plans to include a trip to China. The first new building to be constructed on the Bund in 60 years, The Peninsula scores a perfect 10 in just about every category. Here's how The Globe and Mail describes it:
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz for posting. I have not yet stayed in the Peninsula- however some of my colleagues have and say good things about it.

Personally, for location and logistics-when I need to be in Shanghai central I now stay at the JW or the LeMeridien- neither is that great and definitely not luxury so I just choose between the two on price or promos- in Pudong, the Horizon Club at the Shangri-La in the newly rennovated tower is fantastic.

A lot of the "big name" luxury properties in Shanghai really disappoint- the Four Seasons, while having a good physical plant is really not very good, the RC is distinctly mediocre [although worth noting that when it opened it was THE only place to stay in Shanghai], The Fairmont, while beautiful, has had very inconsistent reports on service, as has the Park Hyatt Pudong and don't even mention the St. Regis- this is not (yet) a city with a service culture- if that changes those of us who frequently travel to Shanghai will be really happy indeed.

I would also be curious on anyone who has visited the newish Jumeriah in Xintiandi- the "expat magnet" area of Shanghai that has many very famous restaurants and the nice little lake.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the Peninsula is not convenient for using Shanghai's extensive and growing subway system. It's at the far end of the Bund, which seems to always be crowded, although it's much better since most of the road construction has been finished. (Some building renovations seem to be ongoing.)

4. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What was going to be Jumeriah in Xintiandi is now going to be an Andaz, set to open late this year. Its sister building (originally slated as a Conrad) has opened few months ago as a Langham. Although I did not stay there, I did visit the hotel and saw a regular guestroom and a suite. When I visited 2 months ago, not all rooms at Langham have opened.

Shanghai has a number of interesting luxury properties, although I have to say service is not yet up-to-par with major world cities. I recently stayed at the newly opened Waldorf Astoria and found it bland and characterless with hit-and-miss service.

I find Peninsula, Park Hyatt and Puli are very handsome hotels, while Four Seasons and St Regis rank among the bottom of the 2 brands.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where will you be on November 11, 2011? According to Feng Shui masters, November 11, 2011 (11.11.11) is the most auspicious date of the 21st century, a moment when the pillars of heaven and earth will be in balance. To celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime occasion, The Peninsula Shanghai is rolling out two exclusive 11-themed special packages. Don't forget to fete this unforgettable date! The Peninsula Suite 11.11.11 offering includes:
    • a one-night stay in a Peninsula Suite with a personal butler
    • round-trip airport limousine service by Rolls-Royce
    • 24-hour use of a Peninsula Shanghai Rolls Royce Phantom
      1,111 roses arranged inside the suite
    • 11 types of chocolate
    • a 111-minute treatment for 1+1 in The Peninsula Spa by ESPA’s private suite
    • American breakfast for 1+1
    • a deluxe hamper filled with 11 gourmet items from The Peninsula Boutique and 11 different light snacks
    • 11 cheeses
      11 types of liquor
    • 11 bottles of mineral water to share with 11 family members, friends or colleagues in the Peninsula Suite
    This package is priced at RMB 111,111 per night for a minimum stay of two consecutive nights. The Deluxe Suite 11.11.11 offering, priced at RMB 11,111 per night for a minimum two-night stay, includes:
    • a one-night stay in a Deluxe Suite
    • round-trip airport limousine service by Rolls-Royce
    • a deluxe hamper filled with 11 gourmet items from The Peninsula Boutique
    • 11 types of chocolates
    • 111 roses placed inside the Suite Daily
    • American breakfast for 1+1 a 111-minute spa treatment for 1+1 in a private spa suite at The Peninsula Spa by ESPA.
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.