The Park Lane, London?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by eightblack, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading to London this weekend and have a rate of £150 all in per night (incl VAT etc) for the Park Lane. The hotel seems to have mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, but I want to stay at a SPG property as I need to build up status again (having been a Plat before, many years ago).

I managed to book a Family & Friends rate at The Savoy for £222 plus VAT - but I'm having second thoughts now, given that you need to queue to get into the bars etc.

The Savoy will probably work out double to The Park Lane, (and I know they may not be comparable) and I have stayed at the Savoy prior to the renovation and loved it) but I'm thinking I'd rather use an SPG property.

All suggestions/advice welcome...

2. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Park Lane without status is painful. You will probably end up in a tiny room that really needs to be renovated. They treat plats really well though. I always get a great room, mostly suites. The bar is nice but not very happening. There is a nice coffee shop with bakery items right outside the hotel when you make a left, cheaper than eating in the hotel. A few years ago I stayed here when the Russian dissident Litvinenki was poisened in London. Two of the the Russian suspected of killing him stayed here and two of the rooms were of limit for a few months for radioactive decontamination. Just make sure you do not end up the two rooms on the 8th floor to the left of the elevators (when you exit the elevator). I was sitting at the bar the day this happened and got a bit concerned when uniformed people with geiger counters and then people in hazmat suits entered the hotel and I couldnt get back to my room for four hours on the far ennd of the 8th floor. They kept the champagne flowing for free though so I didn't complain.

3. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest a stay at the Park Lane would cure any urge to stay at a SPG property again! If it is simply going to be a bed for the night, stay there and put the 100 quid savings towards meals/drinks. Sticking with SPG I'd be tempted to try the new W which would price out similar to your rate at the Savoy - (I don't think it would be better than the Savoy though).

4. Astrophy
    Original Member

Astrophy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it just got bumped up to a Cat 5!

marcwint55, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always had great stays at the Park Lane. Love the location. Love the character of the property. Still, others have had less happy experiences. It seems to me status counts, and probably expectations too. Great breakfast, by the way.

My biggest issue has usually been my difficultly understanding the 'english' spoken at the front desk, which is really ironic since, it is England after all...

Cheers,

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Savoy without hesitation unless you really want to be on Park Lane.

7. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I echo the above note that without status you could end up in a dark and tiny room with no view of anything beyond another outside wall of the hotel. Even as a Plat, sometimes they'd start me off at one of these, and I'd go downstairs to complain and to ask for a better room. Of course, I was always choosing one of the cheapest prices. The way to overcome this is to choose to pay for a higher-rated room, but your price will increase.

Another alternative to the W would be the Le Meridien Piccadilly. You could choose to pay for Club access, thereby getting a nice breakfast and evening food, and they frequently run promotions for extra points to stay at that level. Further, it has a great gym and a terrific pool.

8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, Le Meridien continues to be the best "value" in terms of Central London SPG properties. The lounge not only serves breakfast, but also an afternoon tea/snacks service, and almost-a-meal in the evening. W/o status, you might pay bit extra for the access, but the "extra" paid would likely be comparable to what you'd pay to eat/drink in that area of central London anyways.
    As for building up your SPG status whilst in London, effectifve combination of both overnight- and very cheap "day-use" rates out at the Heathrow properties (Sheraton Skyeline, Sheraton Heathrow) can give quite a boost to your stay credits total. They're just down the street (Bath Road) from each other, via a free public bus. Example: Overnight at Sheraton Skyline, then next morning, check in/check-out on a day use rate at Sheraton Heathrow. Another example: do that dance on arrival, and again pre-departure, and you've nailed 4 stay credits for less than what you could pay for one night at the W, and not a lot extra of your time.

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One huge advantage of the Park Lane is location if you have Hyde Park Corner as a locus of activity. The Park Lane is not the greatest Starwood choice but I have had my London office at 7, Old Park Lane a 30 second walk away. There's also Shepherds Bush Market if you like the restaurants a pubs there.

For almost any other purpose I would pay an extra 50 to stay at the Savoy. It is wonderful now and they like Plats too.

IDGflygirl, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are currently at the Park Lane, where we have lovely view of the park. We had originally booked a two-night award stay but on our way to the hotel discovered that the M-4 was closed down, which could make getting to Heathrow and making our flight tomorrow morning a little dicey so we decided we would switch to the Skyline Heathrow. Upon checking in, the clerk told us that they would not refund our points. She walked over to her manager and he, without even looking at our status or reservation, confirmed that they would not return our points for the second night. When we got to our room, we called the Platinum Concierge and they fixed it up for us. That is great because we really like the Skyline Sheraton at Heathrow and can just jump on the FREE bus to Heathrow in the morning and be there in minutes. We love those free buses.

Good things about the Park Lane:

1. Location
    2. Fabulous pillows
    3. Amazing bathtub
    4. Thick fluffy robe
    5. Huge towels
    6. Best water pressure ever

Negative:

1. No coffee/tea service in room
    2. No Club Lounge

We do, however, have free breakfast and will report on that later.

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you could have stayed at the Park Lane (if you really wanted to:) ) rather than spend the night at the somewhat crappy Skyline and taken the HEX in the morning but then no free breakfast and the HEX is not free either.:D

marcwint55, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely - Hotel Hoppa is a total waste, especially if staying on a property along Bath Road! :)

Skye1 and marcwint55 like this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay elsewhere and do a mattress run for SGP nights unless you feel comfortable sleeping in a closet.

rwoman likes this.
  14. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here many times when I can use P&C, am Gold and have had many different rooms and have switched too (when the door hit the bed and portable heater) to central air/heat room on lower floors w/higher ceilings. The rooms are bigger than the W rooms but a bit tired but still comfortable king room w/good sized bathroom. Good location to walk 15mins to a variety of sites and good tube options -green park or Hyde park corner. funny sad but true moment -on fourth stay wandered across the street thru park and realized that buckingham palace was right there all along!

15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    newbluesea writes:
    We actually like the Skyline Heathrow a great deal and consider the HEX another London transportation rip off, right up there with the $16 a mile taxi rides we have been quoted. The regular train costs half as much and only takes 5 minutes longer. I would rather walk and give the money to a beggar than take a London taxi. There really is no excuse for their outrageous fees.​

16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose one can make silly cost comparisons ad infinitum.:rolleyes: Why not just save all your money by staying at home?.

I can only presume on your European trips you only stay at hotels which grant free breakfast and have your dinner in the Club lounge... breakfast in a top class hotel now thats what i call "outrageous".
    But then why only just only engage in rationlization relative to the London transport system? One can find hundreds of thousands of items that cost too much and/are cheaper elsewhere blah, blah, blah. That $10 glass of Italian or French wine only costs about 5 cents to produce.. what a rip-off....now I wont even bother to mention a dinner in good restaurant.:)

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey newbluesea- it is an interesting discussion- I think Punki has a very good point though about HEX considering Heathrow connect gives you the same thing for 50% less money. We need this type of advice to make sure we get the most fair deals we can out there!

18. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh my, somebody sounds like a bit of an unhappy fellow. Why are some frequent flyers so testy?

FYI, I also save money by taking the free bus instead of paying 4£ each way for the Hoppa. Even worse, we gave away our Lonoon metro day passes to a young couple who were headed back into London for some late day sight seeing, further contaminating them with our money-saving habits.

TRAVELSIG and canucklehead like this.
  19. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you’re looking for That Other Bulletin Board (TOBB), where put-downs and snarkiness are the de rigueur. We try to keep that sort of thing away from MP. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with what somebody writes, but we try to keep it less vitriolic.

TRAVELSIG and canucklehead like this.
  20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I discovered the bus and the Hotel hoppa raised their prices, I also use the London bus to get around.

As for using the underground vs HEX, I try to find a HEX coupon (which appear more frequently) and make use of it when they do show up -- if not, the Underground is perfectly acceptable. A taxi seems too much, even if it not my dime!

NJUPINTHEAIR likes this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way to go Punki!

And please keep sharing your tips- very much appreciated.

canucklehead likes this.
  22. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The HEX is a rip-off. I've gotten a taxi from mine to LHR for just a bit more than what HEX charges (when needed at times when the HEX isn't running, etc.).
    The Picadilly Line of the tube is dirt cheap, but does seem like it takes forever to get from Terminal 3 to central London (really about an hour, but "feels" longer).
    The M-4 (road to heathrow) had been closed for some time, making taxi/car-hire options out to Heathrow a bit of a gamble (unless one's taking the Picadilly Line on the tube all the way out there).

The other el cheapo in-town option is the Aloft, by the Excel Centre, yet not ideal for a lot of the touristy stuff people want to see in central London, nor ideal for a late evening arrival or early morning depature at Heathrow.

23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    heathrow connect is much better value than the HEX.

Aloft location is not great unless flying out of LCY in which case quite good.

24. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree TRAVELSIG. The Heathrow Connect is every bit as nice at the HEX, costs half as much and only take 5 minutes longer. Go figure.

I guess if you were in an all powerful hurray the HEX might make sense, but beyond that I don't get it.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess the herd has spoken:D

Connect runs every 30 mins, HEX every 15 mins.
    One can always find 20-25% discounts for the HEX so the saving is around 4-5 GBP over the Connect what a big deal?:rolleyes: