The Palmer House Hilton - Chicago IL

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Sweet Willie, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had a stay (as HHonors Diamond). AAA rate of $93.

Was upgraded to 23rd floor (top floor), nice large room (non-suite).

Bed/linens/pillows were luxurious/comfy. Bathroom was small, had a building pillar coming up to right of sink, so one had to stand on left center to use sink. Thankfully I had shaved earlier or else this would have been a slight pain.

It was nice being on top floor so it was an easy stroll down the hall to the lounge area. Free waters/sodas/coffee. In the evening there are a couple hot bites to have. Best I thought was the meat perogi.

Breakfast in morning was ok, only hot items were the oatmeal & coffee, otherwise some fruit and baked goods. The flat, unattractive scones were actually quite good.

Self Park was $42, I used a website www.spothero.com
    which allowed me to pay only $23 for parking in the Hilton garage. Also, spothero customers are guaranteed a space even when garage was full (as it was when we pulled into the garage at 6PM) EDITED TO ADD: one does NOT get in/out privileges with Spothero.

Mrs Sweet Willie & I went to the Balance Spa. The massages were quite good. What I didn't like about the spa was that there isn't a transition room where one can relax in a robe pre-massage. We sat in this brightly lit area, in uncomfortable upright chairs.

I really like the Palmer House's location for activities in the Loop or at Grant/Millennium Park.

Palmer House Hilton
    17 E Monroe
    Chicago
    www.palmerhousehiltonhotel.com

MX, desamo, PointsCashMiles and 4 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip on spothero!

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto +1 and the great review.

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Palmer House will forever be off limits to me. It was the site where my board certification test was administered for both written and oral boards. (I passed both). The stress oozed out of the walls. It may be nice as you described but just couldn't stay there again.

anabolism, mo26, Sweet Willie and 2 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here regularly for a year or so quite a while ago, and once a few months ago. The slightly quirky character of the place is an attraction for me, as Sweet Willie points out with the bathroom. Were I to return to this area I'd probably stay here again. The location cannot be beat if you're doing things in The Loop.

Sweet Willie, uggboy and sobore like this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty cool. I've been paying the 42$ on my past stays. Thanks.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd never heard of this either - definitely going into my notes for the next Chicago trip.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, just one more piece of info on SpotHero, one does NOT get in/out privileges with Spothero. (I added this to the review)

It is a pretty great service, I've saved $ on other parking as well.

uggboy, sobore and PointsCashMiles like this.
  9. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 42$ for the Hilton - we didn't get in and out either way.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed but I just didn't want some arse bitching at me if they wanted in/out w/spothero.

11. emwitty

emwitty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great writeup. Palmer House is sure nice. I'm sometimes there for stay-cations, but never at such a great rate like you guys manage to get. There used to be a Trader Vic's downstairs, and I miss it dearly.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  12. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, we can find something else for that :D

I notice looking it up, it lists two different garages as the "hilton" garage? If you search for Palmer House. None in the photo look like the one I've used?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know a Chicago based HHonors member that got $59 rates at beginning of this year, crazy cheap ! I too miss the kitsch of Trader Vic's!! By the way, if anyone in Chicago is looking for a great tiki bar, head out west to River Grove to Hala Kahiki www.hala-kahiki.com and don't forget to let me know you'll be there, it is 10 mins from my house.
    I figured!:) The garage I used w/SpotHero was on Wabash, west side of street, 60' south of Monroe. Signage (small) stated the garage was for Palmer House guests only.

14. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a really good rate for a downtown hotel! One of my best friends from Louisville got married in the Palmer House, so I've got some pretty fond memories of watching the wedding while sneaking into the bar at times to catch the Cubs-Marlins playoffs from the early 2000's. I don't have fond memories of the outcome of that series though.

mo26 likes this.
  15. cjl425

cjl425 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great hotel! My current customer requires me to travel to Chicago a lot. I always stay at the Palmer. You can't beat the location and the amenities are amazing. One of the nicest gyms I have seen in a hotel for a long time.

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stay at this place off and on, and have been to a few conferences there (nothing nearly as stressful as secretsea18's boards!)

Being such an old and large hotel, the rooms vary widely; some are tiny and closet-like, with a window right into another room. Others are more standard rooms, but many are odd in one way or another. The larger rooms can be quite large and nice, and many have two bathrooms. In my opinion, the hotel has a lot of charm, especially if you get a larger room with a nice view.

The executive lounge is not large, it's right off the elevator, and breakfast gets quite crowded and has has been noted has limited offerings.

I've had success getting the hotel to match rates at nearby properties. (I've never been able to get the ORD Hilton to do so, and they are often more expensive than the Palmer House or the downtown Hilton.)

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear your memory of the hotel is so scarred! Congratulations on passing your boards.