The Outperform Recognition program

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://united.com/outperform

Outperform Recognition Program frequently asked questions

What is the Outperform Recognition Program?

This is a new service recognition program that rewards eligible United and United Express employees who provide excellent customer service. As part of the program, eligible MileagePlus members may submit up to five e-nominations per nomination period through the United mobile app available on Apple and Android devices.

Each period, we will select 16 employees randomly from the pool of submissions. If the employee you nominated wins, you win too. You could win a voucher for two roundtrip United First® tickets, valid for U.S. travel, excluding Alaska and Hawaii, or two roundtrip United Economy® tickets for international travel to anywhere that United flies. Other customer prizes include frequent flyer mileage awards in amounts ranging from 10,000 to 75,000.

What’s the timing for the drawings?

The first nomination period is June 1-September 30, 2012, and the sweepstakes drawing will take place in October 2012. Additional nomination periods and associate sweepstakes drawings will be held each quarter thereafter for so long as the program is continued.

How does the program work?

You may submit up to five e-nominations through the “Outperform Recognition” screen on the United mobile app, available through Apple and Android devices. When you see excellent service from an eligible United or United Express employee, you may follow these steps to nominate the employee for an Outperform award:

Navigate to the Outperform Recognition screen on the United mobile app.
    Enter your account or username, along with your PIN or password.
    Confirm your profile information.
    Fill out the brief e-nomination to share the details of your experience.
    To complete the submission, you will need some basic information from the employee you wish to nominate. The required information includes:

The employee’s first and last name.
    The last four digits of the employee’s employee number.
    Your submission will be entered into the random drawing. If your nomination is selected, you will be notified by phone, email and/or mail.

Can I nominate an employee on united.com or over the phone?

No. All e-nominations must be submitted using the United mobile app.

Do I have to be a MileagePlus member to participate?

Yes. If you’re not a MileagePlus member and would like to enroll, you can do so now. There is no cost to join. Once you are a member, download the United mobile app and start nominating employees who provide excellent customer service.

What are the prizes?

For each nomination period, the following prizes will be awarded to the eligible MileagePlus member who nominates a winning employee:

Grand prize: Two international United Economy roundtrip tickets or two United First continental U.S. roundtrip tickets
    1st prize: 75,000 miles
    2nd prize: 50,000 miles
    3rd prize: 20,000 miles each for three customers
    4th prize: 10,000 miles each for 10 customers
    Which employees are eligible to be nominated for an Outperform award?

The following groups of employees, below the vice president level, are eligible for nomination in the Outperform Recognition Program:

-Employees of United, or any corporate affiliate of United, including but not limited to Mileage Plus Holdings, LLC.
    -Employees of United Express carriers, including Expressjet, Cape Air, Chautauqua, Colgan, CommutAir, GoJet, Silver Airways, Mesa, Shuttle America, SkyWest and TransStates.

Am I eligible to participate in the Outperform Recognition Program?

All MileagePlus members are eligible to participate in the program except members who live in: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, France, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Peru, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Venezuela, the Canadian Province of Quebec and any jurisdiction where this promotion is prohibited or restricted by law.

How many nominations can I submit per nomination period?

You can submit up to five e-nominations per nomination period.

Can I win an award more than once during all nomination periods?

Yes, but you can only win one award per nomination period.

How will I be notified if I’ve won an award?

We will contact you by phone, email and/or mail.

Where can I find more details?

Read the Official Rules on the United website.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this sounds like an awesome program, and I hope our own sfogate gets well-deserved recognition.

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting! I think this is a great promo. The app update is already available so folks can start now. I just hope employees don't object to providing info like the last 4 digits of their employee number.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow gotta love when companies, employees and customers can all enjoy a virtuous cycle

5. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an interesting idea. I do want to know how they would like to award those outstanding employees.

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boo! Not available to those of us without smartphones capable of downloading apps! Boo!

(now off to pester UAInsider)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    See the URL -- http://united.com/outperform

I couldn't copy/paste that page from my IPad for some reason, so I grabbed the FAQ instead.

8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Downloaded the United app update today.....

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made my first nomination today for a PBI employee that went above and beyond.

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to be the nasty crepehanger naysayer here, but it seems to me this is really "small time." They're going to reward a whole four employees per month (16 per four-month period) with 64 employee bonuses totalling $375,000 per YEAR for exemplary performance? As against the entire employee base of United AND its Express carriers. That seems like a piddly number compared to all those employees (even if you figure the ratio after they get rid of 1,300 in Houston, hehheh!).

And the program seems tailored for company convenience. You have to ask the employee both the first and last name (if it is like other airlines, some employees prefer not to give the last name out). Then you have to jot down a four-digit code the employee gives you. And you have to have an app on your smart phone. All this takes out the workload at UA from having to look up which flight attendant Lori was on flight 620 from ABC to XYZ, and also telephone CSRs from having to take information over the phone from customers. Maybe that's efficiency, but it also takes the wind out of the sails on this program, in my humble opinion.

And they don't evaluate which of the entries are really reward-worthy, instead apparently just having a random selection from all the Tom, Dick and Harry entries submitted regardless of reason.

Other airlines have had programs which were more customer- (and, at least I thought, employee-) friendly than this one is. If I were a UA employee, I don't think I would be overwhelmed by the tiny number of 64 awards per year.

Don't get me wrong -- if I were a UA regular CUSTOMER I would enter. Big odds notwithstanding, free miles are free miles and free trips are free trips. But I also wouldn't hold my breath.

End of naysaying rant.

harvson3 likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gee, you sound like a Flyertalker! :)

The previous UA recognition program gave the lucky winners a free movie rental or something like that. Essentially nothing really of value and no motivation to do better than you'd otherwise do anyway. This program reminds me a bit of the Freakonomics podcast I recently listened to:

http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/11...-be-the-answer-to-americas-poor-savings-rate/

While the $50k grand prize may not be life altering, I think for many front-line workers at UA it would be a significant amount of money. Yes, it's a lottery among those who get credit, but what would you prefer -- 1/100 chance of winning a pizza or movie rental or 1/5000 chance of winning $50k?

That I agree with. It's too much hassle for the customer.

That seems fine to me. Difficult to evaluate an incident based on a very short description. And I think it makes sense to not just look for and reward the most amazing cases of customer service. Not everyone has the opportunity to provide that.

How do other airlines handle this?

mht_flyer likes this.
  12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an AA flyer, I was very conscious last night of the dangers of coming on a UA forum and screaming, in effect, "my bankrupt airline is better than your formerly bankrupt airline," so I left out the AA comparison. With AA, the company snail-mails the elites coupons which you hand to the affected employee and they turn in for prizes. The system has been around for years, but has come and gone as the airline has had various cutbacks and then folks have clamored to bring it back. I do not know what the prizes are/were and whether each coupon begat a prize, though by the employee turning them in (the employee needs to fill out the ID number, etc.) there was notification to the company that the elite thought the worker "done good." I do know that the mere handing of the coupon gives/gave the employee instant positive feedback on the good deed, and the ones I have handed out seemed to be treated as something well worth getting, or maybe they were just trying to be nice. The younger, newer employees seemed to be most grateful, in my experience. Perhaps with UA's system the mere asking of the four-digit ID number ending will also be positive feedback, but the employee will never know for sure if it is passed on to the company when the passenger is allowed to turn his electronic device back on after landing. And I am not sure the company will keep track of how many times each employee has been nominated (how many 'attaboys') -- the way the rules read maybe there is just a drawing every four months for prizes. With AA's system, the passenger does have to jot down the reason for the compliment, and in my experience the employee quickly turns the slip over to read what was said. I do not recall if there is any incentive in this for the customer like with UA's system, as I don't use the coupons for that purpose. Maybe some other AA customer knows that. I used to be a Continental "Gold" flyer eons ago and at that time that airline had something in place like the AA system. And no, I still don't use the "Flyer Talk" site!

gobluetwo likes this.
  13. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it may lessen the work load but how many times have you gotten amazing help on the ground where someone can't just look up a FA from your flight? Great service is good, but people really going above and beyond can easily and more recognizably happen on the ground.

The fact it is putting an incentive for the submitee is going to keep the program going. I am sure almost everyone here has complained to UA and gotten something for it, but how many have sent in an email say about how great something was?

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Naa, don't be shy... I think comparisons are quite useful.

What you describe sounds like the old UA system.

I think both approaches (mobile device and paper coupons) have their pros and cons. It's cheaper for UA to use the app. No mailing of dead trees and non-elites hadn't received them anyway in the past. But then it excludes everyone who doesn't have an iPhone or Android phone. Maybe a webpage could be provided as an alternative. Or printable coupons.

The reason I threw that in was that the reaction to this new program over on FT was very negative. :)

But I was joking. Our Your posts don't actually sound like FT posts.

kansaskeith likes this.
  15. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only have two data points, but when I mentioned it to the FAs on our Saturday flight, they knew all about the program, and offered us their names and employee numbers on a napkin for us. In their eyes this is a really good thing for which they were excited about - so I can take 2 minutes to fill out the form on my phone and submit it.

The good ones will be aware of it and provide the info. Trust me. :)

16. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's about having options. You can still call or write in after the fact and the mechanism to find that particular employee and recognize them is still in place (as far as I know). This offers a different option to do the same thing while not causing additional overhead for customer service staff.

I always like more options rather than less.

17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is interesting, and a good idea. Nice to see an electronic implementation of it, although it would be nice if there were a way to submit a nomination manually. I'll definitely be downloading the app (to my iPad - don't have an iPhone or Android phone) and using it!

UA had this "system" in place, also, in the form of Going the Extra Mile (GTEM) certificates. I always forget mine, so I've on occasion just filled out the relevant info on the back of my business card and handed it to the FA, telling them that this was in lieu of a GTEM for the exemplary service they provided. They've always appreciated it and a couple said they'd pass it along to their manager jsut as with a GTEM.

Given COFlyerCLE's experience, seems employees do know about the program. However, it would be weird to just ask them for the last 4 digits of their EE ID without any other context. I'm sure most, if not all, folks would tell they WHY they're asking for it! Do make a good point about it potentially not getting submitted, though, if the passenger forgets or whatever. But how many times have you wanted to compliment the employee with a certificate, but did not because you didn't have any with you?

Given the automation, should be easy enough to track in their system. In fact, it'd be foolish if they did NOT build in that functionality.

Same with UA's old and new (outperform) systems - have to include a comment on how the employee provided good service.

EDIT: Also, what is a crepehanger??? That's definitely a new one for me!

kansaskeith and Scottrick like this.
  18. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The employee ID number is a hangup. I had one of my best inflight services recently and went as far as getting the purser's business card to make sure I could acknowledge her. This was the first day of the promo and since I was inflight I couldn't get the full details from the app. But the card doesn't have her ID number, so I'll have to write an email like normal. No contest entry for her.

19. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think she gave you her card for the contest, but rather to seek an entry of a different sort... ;) :D

20. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    One consideration is that this may favor ground staff and FAs working flights where there is wifi... Less likely to collect, save and enter data after a flight. But during it or while waiting for one? Not a problem.

21. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too!

22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope not. She looked older than my parents.

23. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL, I am glad that happens with UA pursers too! Reminds me of a long-haul on an AA 767-300 the day before I turned 60. The person sitting next to me "ratted" on me about my birthday to the purser, as she was serving us. The purser looked at me and said "Congratulations. But I'm five years ahead of ya, fella."

24. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO the big question on this is whether or not it sticks in the company culture, or if it's a one-off that pays out some cash and then goes the way of Silver benefits. If it has staying power......

25. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Inherently, this is a good thing to have. As mentioned above, this covers times when you would like to give a paper certificate but forgot them.... but you never forget your phone. In addition, this allows you to give recognition to employees who you may interact with but not in person.

The rewards motivate the employees to excel to receive nominations for a potentially large bonus and at the same time, motivate us customers to nominate the employees to ensure that their achievements are recognized.

Could there be improvements like having a webpage linked into the same data base for the contest so those w/o a smartphone can be involved? Sure. However, there are numerous examples of contests and promotions that target a subset of the total population... this is no different.