The other British Airways Visa 100k offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sharris503, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure some of you have already seen this on flyertalk and I am surprised no one has brought it up here so I thought I would pass it along for those who have not seen it.

If you go to BA's website and go through the steps to purchase a ticket you will be prompted to apply for a BA credit card with a 50k bonus after first purchase and another 50k bonus on your anniversary date. The annual fee is $75. There is no minimum spend required, so you get 100k miles for $150. I just finished applying for the card and the best part was I didn't have to buy the ticket!

Here is what I did. I "purchased" a one-way refundable economy ticket LAX to LHR on 11/6/12, the price was $1886. I filled in my passenger information and clicked the "yes" boxes to receive special offers. I checked the "no" box that I am not a current member of Avios (which is true). I then submitted that information. On the next page I am asked if I want to apply for the 100k offer and use the credit to pay for the ticket. I clicked the "yes" button. I filled out the application and was NOT instantly approved. I was then prompted if I wanted to pay for the ticket using a different card. I then closed the window on my browser. I will call the recon line in a few days.

Based on the flyertalk thread I think a couple of things are worth pointing out. It would appear that the ticket you "purchase" needs to be less than $2k and the people who were instantly approved said they still were able to avoid paying for the ticket. Just in case I applied for a refundable fare. To do so when you search for a fare click the box that says "flexible conditions." As always YMMV. Good luck I hope this works for others.

rharrigill likes this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if not being an current Avios member is a requirement to be offered the card?

Were you asked if you currently have a BA card or was there language stating that the offer was only for new BA card holders?

3. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure on both questions. I think on the flyertalk thread there were people who are members that got the offer.

4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please update us when you call. I am very tempted to do this and have been able to see the offer every time I put in a booking. Still not sure I am ready to pull the trigger yet.

5. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this today, and got the 'we can't approve your app now' message. I called reconsideration right away, and they told me to call back on Friday (basically, they told me to give them a couple of days). I think I should be able to get approved, since it's been 3+ months since my last Chase app and I could move credit from my other personal card, and I really want this one for the possibility of getting a chip and pin card (someone on TOBB said that you could apply for a PIN to use this in Europe).

I'll update later this week!

6. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've already got two Chase cards, and have had each account for over 5 years. Don't really need another. Would Chase transfer one account to an Avios account, giving me the advantage of the sign up bonus?

7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will still need to apply for the card so you can always cancel one of the older ones, however, that could impact your credit score so I would suggest asking if there is a no fee option for one of those cards and keep it open.

8. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought this was Chip and Signature? So if you wanted to add a PIN you would have to call into Chase?

I would NOT risk your BA account, especially if you have a healthy Avios balance, for the extra 100k.

If you don't have a lot of Avios then it might be worth the risk and the experiment so the rest of the community can know the deal!

Fine Print "3" on application page...

9. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you think that means its only for new Avios accounts or if I have a previous Avios account without the credit card attached I should still be in the clear?

10. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    If you are new Cardholder you are in the clear. I think the wording is meant to prevent people from applying with same BAEC account for a 2nd Chase card.

As well as give them the liberty to lock down a 2nd Avios account of somebody who previously had the Chase BA 100k offer.

But if this is your first time getting the BA Chase you should be fine.

11. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called this morning and was approved no problem. They moved some credit around from a couple other cards and I was good to go. I'm pretty excited I think this deal is the best credit card offer out there right now.

12. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    Congrats on the new card. I am glad it worked for you.

I personally love the Avios program and have so far written an 8-part write up breaking down all aspects of the program; award cost comparisons, long vs. short haul and hidden benefits of the card.

Welcome to Avios and I hope you enjoy using them for your trips!

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there's no risk to your Avios account. The only issue is whether you're eligible to receive this card (or at least the bonus) if you are an existing or previous holder of the Chase B/A credit card. Presumably the answer is no, you're not eligible, but it never hurts to ask. This could be a technically different card that's being offered.

14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats. So, just to be clear, you've never had the Chase B/A card before, but you do have other cards with Chase active at the moment?

15. sellthesedownfalls

Status Points:
    Someone in TOBB's thread about this card said they read that you can call in to get a PIN for the EMV chip. I can't verify this at all, I'm just hoping it is the case at this point (and I'm hoping I can get the card!).

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  16. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    Depends if Chase/BA recognizes you. It seems that if you use the same account and not create a 2nd Avios account you may have trouble getting this offer.

I know somebody on TOBB who called Chase and asked if they would qualify for this new offer. They were told Chase had no record of their previous BA Card account tied to their SSN. They had card in 08/09 and cancelled it 09.

They applied for the card and were approved but has not yet gotten the card. We will see if that person gets the bonus or not.

Somebody has to be willing to take the plunge for us to find out the answers.

17. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    People over on FT seem to be happy with their results so far. Is it worth taking the plunge?

18. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    If you can't make the $20k spend for the other offer, I would think so.

19. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, this is my first time applying for the BA card and I am new to Avios. However, based on the flyer talk thread it would appear that people who already were a member of Avios were also getting the offer. If you play around with bookings and the offer pops up I think it is safe to assume you are eligible, unless you've had a prior BA card in which case you may be SOL unless they consider this a different card.

20. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to quote myself but I just had a thought on this point. Maybe Chase does consider this a different product. The annual fee is lower and I don't think this card has the smart chip technology that is in the $20k min spend offer. So who wants to be the first person to apply for both? Maybe wait 30 days and go for the other card? I must say I am somewhat tempted. I would be willing to focus all my spending on one card for a year to have 225,000 Avios points (that's 9 trips to Hawaii). Plus you have a built in excuse when you are asked why you applied for both, "I thought the other card had smart chip technology."

21. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    I could have sworn there was a photo of the card with the chip on it for both offers.

I thought they both mentioned the Chip as well.

22. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the app to pop and you are right, picture of card is the same. Bummer. Oh well, too good to be true anyway.

23. sellthesedownfalls

Status Points:
    Ooooh, happy dance! My app was approved and I'll have the card in the next two weeks. I also spoke with a CSR about getting a PIN number assigned to my EMV chip so I can use it at train kiosks when we're in Germany this summer. She said 'no problem!' and to set it up when I call in to activate my card. :D

24. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if you can get chase to "bump the bonus"? I got the $20K deal just the other day and I like this better.

25. TheTravelAbstract

Status Points:
    People have had trouble doing this because it is matching offer details and not a different bonus amount.

Depending on the Agent you will get resistance. Keep calling until you wear somebody down.

Doesn't hurt to ask. But don't tell them we can get the deal without buying the Ticket, that would be bad.