The one thing I hate about Kiva

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by TravelBear, Jul 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had ~$175 in credits. I set some countries for auto lending as one my own personal goals is to lend to all countries listed on Kiva. Nigeria was on that list, but not any longer as I got to make 7 loans to Nigerians! (OMG this almost sounds like one of those scams lol) Not what I really had planned. Now, in order to have money available for other loans that are on my country list I have to either wait for payments or put more money in the account.

Am I missing something in the auto loan area that will actually limit the number of loans to a country that is on that list? If not I guess I will either keep less money in my Kiva account or just not use the auto lending feature. For now I am removing any countries from the auto lending list….not that I have enough credit left to lend at the moment.

MissBurrill, canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  2. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a slightly bad interaction between the auto-lending feature and the fact that many Kiva loans repay at almost the same time of the month, thus causing you to have no funds for most of the month and then a lot of funds all at once, giving the auto-lending feature the ability to make many loans all at once.

I would say that the auto-lending feature wasn't intended for the purpose you had of "collect them all", but rather for the purpose of somebody who knows what countries he or she wants to focus their lending efforts on. However, given the "game-ification" of many online sites and the apparent effectiveness of badges, etc. (Milepoint itself is a great example), perhaps it would behoove Kiva to implement something that explicitly helps you in the "collect them all" endeavor.

MissBurrill, canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a great idea. I am not sure if it could be implemented but certainly something you could suggest. Kiva does have social badges, but given that the personal lend page has more information, they may consider expanding some of their features. The one caveat is that the tech staff are often stretched thin with maintenance and ongoing development commitments.

MissBurrill and YULtide like this.