The Oddest Checked Luggage I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Dec 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    While checking our one piece of luggage (Kim, Lucas and I shared one bag) and getting Lucas' boarding pass for our current trip to Louisville & Nashville, I was amazed at what I saw at the counter to my left. One man was trying to check some of the oddest items I've ever seen.

We were at New York's LaGuardia Airport (LGA), about to fly for the first time with Southwest Airlines.

Southwest might have one of the most generous checked baggage policies out there. They allow two checked pieces of baggage per ticketed customer. The maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches.

I think we all expect to see people checking various kinds of luggage, an oddly taped shut box or even a surf board on occasion.
    However, the gentleman to my left was trying to check two 50 pound dumbbells!
    [​IMG]

At first I thought the guy worked for the airline and was checking the scales for accuracy but this was not the case. He really wanted to check his dumbbells!
    If interested, find out more on my blog HERE

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once watched a person try to check in a motorcycle at YEG......I was running late so I could not stick around for the continuation of the discussion.

MLW20, LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What??? that is definitely crazier than dumbbells!

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either he shelled out some $$$ for that one, or his two wheeled friend never made it in the air.

MLW20, LETTERBOY and milchap like this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I left the chap at the next check in counter, the agent was discussion fuel/oil in the motorcycle......:eek:

I regretted having to clear security asap.....I often wondered about the final outcome......and I suspected that no way was Air Canada was allowing such esoteric checked luggage.

MLW20, LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much for the accuracy of the scales if they registered 50 lbs dumbells as 52 lbs.

MLW20 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strangest that I have ever seen was back in the early 80's in DFW checking in two Tires for his car. That was it.

MLW20, hulagrrl210 and milchap like this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always thought that the airlines knew the scales were bum so they'd give you a few extra pounds. At least that is my experience with SWA in the past.

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw a few tires on the luggage carousel in Tbilisi.

Though if I recall correctly, you can buy a fridge right after immigration in Colombo...I'd like to check it empty, and claim it was full of mango lassi later on...

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some years back I was in Bamako (Mali) on business with a colleague. Having completed the meetings we came for, we wandered through a handicrafts market there in the capital, and my colleague fell in love (?) with a nude torso of a female carved from ebony. The torso was from knees to neck, with arms reminiscent of the Venus de Milo.

Anyway, he insisted on buying it. Now, ebony is a very dense wood, and the torso was about 30 inches in height, so it was rather heavy. I wondered aloud how he proposed to get it back to Europe, and he answered that he thought he'd buy a large suitcase, stuff "her" inside, and check the suitcase.

We went shopping for a suitcase, and managed to find a large one there at the bazaar. As the torso was truncated, it was sort of box-like in shape, but not entirely so since it was a representation of a rather curvaceous person. We did, however, manage to get it stuffed into the suitcase and got the suitcase zipped. The suitcase now was sort of wavy rather than flat.

At the time I was Platinum with Flying Blue, and as a Plat had an extra baggage allowance I had not used on the trip down, so we checked the suitcase under my ticket.

We arrived at our destination in Europe and went to the carousel to await our luggage. The suitcase happened to be one of the first ones on the carousel, and I was somewhat taken aback to observe that while in transit the suitcase had suffered a "wardrobe malfunction" with respect to the zipper, and a portion of the contents was "spilling" out. As the suitcase majestically made its circuit, with a rather voluptuous ebony breast proudly protruding from the zipper, I handed the claim check to my colleague and told him that if he wanted it, he would be the one to claim the suitcase and carry it through customs.

He did -- and at last report still has the carving.

Scottrick, LIH Prem, MLW20 and 5 others like this.
  11. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha this is amazing.

Mapsmith and MLW20 like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking fitness equipment isn't that outlandish. The guy likely just wanted to ensure he could get his workouts in.

Mapsmith likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or that the baggage handlers get their workouts in.

Or that he gets money's worth from WN.

Mapsmith likes this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Torso probably would have raised some concern in the Xray machine the TSA uses for baggage. Might even get an interesting page in the airport. "Would the person with the Female Torso in their bag please pick up the white courtesy phone?"

Counsellor likes this.
  15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love it!!:D

Mapsmith likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has a line item in their baggage fees listing for antlers; it comes from the legacy CO side of the merger. If they bothered to put in a policy on it that makes me think it has happened often enough.

Mapsmith likes this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see checking antlers as all that unusual to be honest - pretty sure that most if not all of the major airlines have provisions for them. I also am almost certain that legacy UA would have had an antler policy as well.

People fly places, shoot antlered animals, and check the meat and antlers for the return fairly routinely.

Mapsmith likes this.
  18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    From United's terminal 3 at SFO:

[​IMG]
    Baggage Claim by Deirdre Saoirse Moen, on Flickr

Mapsmith likes this.
  19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite bit out of the baggage policy is this one:

"Surfboards and wakeboards will not be accepted during an excess baggage embargo when no excess baggage is allowed. Exception: Surfboards will be accepted to Costa Rica during an embargo period."

FlyingBear and Mapsmith like this.
  20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is it's from its previous HQ in Houston. Texas is an interesting place.

LETTERBOY and Mapsmith like this.