The no drama, no hyperbole post-PSS (aka post-3/3) feedback thread

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SFOtoORD, Apr 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to setup a thread to get a broad array of people's real world experiences captured in one thread post-PSS. I've read some "other" forums and while I think there are a lot of legit complaints, I think the fighting and preemptive negativity are preventing a balanced exchange of ideas and experiences.

Here is my very simple ask: Share the good, the bad and your bottom line post-3/3 impression. In addition, I ask for everyone to be open minded. If you're leaving MP to book all of your tickets on Allegiant or if you think the new UA is the greatest thing ever, its all fine here.

Here's mine:

Good
    • Upgrades - I have about 30k BIS miles since 3/3 all domestic and have only missed one upgrade. However, I've also had a lot of last minute Y fares, so I think this may just be an anomaly.
    • Aircraft - I might be the minority, but I've been thrilled with the sCO aircraft showing up on a lot of my routes. I'm happy to have DTV and power outlets in first.
    • SFO - I will say that I'm happy about the increased level of SFO flights...probably a longer term trend, but a good thing for me.
    • Newspapers - This probably also pre-dates 3/3, but I appreciate the more abundant quantities of WSJ in the clubs.
    • Catering - I like most of the mealtime catering better.
    Bad
    • Gate Agents/SHARES - I had a few challenges early on, but this has gotten better. I did have an equipment swap (767>757) on 3/5 which was a complete cluster. For now, I try to do all of my transitions on the web or at the kiosks.
    • United.com - Now that my flights seem to be posting on time its not as bad, but this site is ugly. Looking forward to the revamp.
    • Catering - I do not like the snack catering. I think I'm going to vomit if I see that cold pasta dish again.
    • Fares - Not sure if its a coincidence, but my fares have gone up a lot and I don't seem to be getting the same level of corp discount on my last minute fares.
    • Boarding - lets go back to 4-5 groups. This system is too complicated
    Bottom Line
    I think this exec team has some misses on understanding what the combined service offering should be. That being said, for me on the routes that I fly they are still my best option and I am optimistic that the airline will improve.

redwoman and scf like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    • Agree with you you on the snack, it's ok once or twice, but the chicken + cold pasta salad gets old very quick. (First time I had it the pasta was al-dente in a almost not cooked entirely way, not a good al-dente way).
    • I like the website, but then again I'm from the CO side of things. For the most part functionality has been ok sans some issues with ticketing (Verified by Visa) + a occasional seat change issue where the seat actually does change, but for some reason the online resv still shows the old assignment (until you actually check in).
    • Agree on the boarding, I'd like to see less, certainly not more boarding groups.
    • Fares have gone up, but this isn't directly because of the integration, prices are just going up.
    • My upgrades have evened out. I did have some issues first two weeks of March, but they seem to be better now. I've gotten I'd say 70% upgraded out of BOS.

redwoman likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the website issue will probably be split along the lines of where we "came from". Those of us from the Continental side of town are used to it and know where everything thing is and don't mind it. While those of you from the United part of town are used to something different and might not like CO style website.

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Website still does not show miles properly. In my case, in my favor.

5. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good
    • More flights out of SFO for less popular destinations, but places I need to go (PHL, CLE)
    • Extremely useful feature under "Flight Status" on the website: "where is this plane coming from?" THANK G-D!!!!! I HATED never knowing why my plane was late, when/if it would actually show up, whether it would be the 67I config I paid for or the POS old 777 or even worse, the ghetto bird.
    Bad
    • Lack of instant ticketing. I have a demanding job. At some point, one of my relatives might die or end up in the hospital. In other words, I sometimes need to travel right away. I can't believe it's 2012 and SHARES can't issue a ticket one nanosecond after you press "purchase".
    • Website in general is circa 1995 and search by schedule doesn't SEARCH by schedule, it SORTS by schedule, still making me waste time sifting through choices I don't want
    • Had to call 5 times for a refund and dispute the charge with my CC; whole thing took almost a month. Had to call 3 times to get the miles from the not-needed upgrade redeposited. This needs to get better
    • Shoehorning all upgrade and award situations onto a few fare codes means that we have the ludicrous situation of upgraded, paid segments being read as award travel, necessitating even more calls to UA
    • Boarding process has almost as many levels as a mafia princess' wedding cake. It takes even longer to board a 319/320 than it already did, which was already soul-crushingly ridiculous
    • No blankets or pillows in F domestic cabin. Come on, in theory those tickets cost 4 figures, even for a hop SFO-LAX. Give us a frickin' pillow and a real blanket to prevent us from looking like the frozen corpse of Mr. Burns from "The Simpsons".

adambadam and goalie like this.
  6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new washcloth size hot towels are very nice vs the PMUA shmattes

genemk2 likes this.
  7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't get this complaint. PMUA boarding had 7 groups; current UA has 9; doesn't seem all that huge a difference. I'd prefer for carpet access to be only for GS/1K/F/J.

8. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good:
    -Now fly NYC-LON, albeit from EWR
    -Financially much more stable
    -Seems to be real intent on smartening up the fleet - peeling paint is a thing of the past
    -E+ here to stay for the foreseeable future
    -Got rid of those ridiculous RCC drinks vouchers
    -Starnet blocking gone, at least for the time being

A Wash
    -Website seems stronger in some regards but weaker in others, so it's a wash IMO
    -UC snack offerings - missing the vegetables but enjoying the shortbreads

Bad
    -Use of CPU ex-LHR now attracts APD of $00s (something to do with SHARES, apparently)
    -As a 1k I cannot now sit in E+ next to travelling companion (such as daughter, great aunt) on a different PNR
    -Seems to be a much more rigid structure, so no devolved ability to help passengers out with minor favors (this sounds minor, but, for me, it was one of the principal reasons for choosing UA - I was confident that they would help me out and look after me - now I have no such confidence.
    -Likewise IRROPS handling - I have no confidence that the new UA will look after me, whereas BA and VS are required to do so. The old UA went the extra mile on the one occasion in 10 years' flying that it was needed.
    -Pricing seems to have moved from near the bottom of the bunch to higher than most of the competition.

I've not mentioned all the nonsense at check in and the gate because I think this will dissipate as the system becomes more familiar.

Finally, I'm ashamed to admit that I went with UA initially because, for its elites who effectively were buying their own tickets in economy only, it offered more bang for the buck, and I was willing to trade that for its rough edges (and there were many). About 3 years ago it became ridiculously generous and we all should have known it had to end at some stage. I hope that we are seeing a transition to a much more professional outfit which treats every passenger with the respect they deserve (and yet still keeps something special for its regular customers). If such an airline evolves, then I will keep flying with it. If, however, we end up with an airline which treats its occasional customers badly and its elites not much better, then we are all in trouble.

9. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good

· Still seeing (in fact a recent increase) of R/RN availability 330 days out on TATL routes
    · Continued turning of upgraded aircraft with lie-flat and E+
    · Cinnamon rolls for breakfast :D

Neutral

· Website, like lhrsfo said, some better features (like searching for W V fares and mixed carriers) but no instant purchase (still don’t get this one in the year 2012)

Bad

· Still haven’t got my 1K card mailed to me (same address in the past 3 years I got my 1K card sent to before). Tired of calling about this anymore, the newUA wins (well, actually looses)
    · Still many reports of ToD’s domestic and HoD’s on international trumping waitlisted UG instruments (and I’m not talking about buy up fares or CPU's).
    · 1Kline has really changed for the worse, 1Kvoice is history, which probably breaks my heart more then anything.

I am one who made a decision to take a break from the newUA right now. I’m not saying I’m leaving for good, just after next month's flight I will take 6 months off and then evaluate.

I have the luxury to purchase personal international tickets 330 days in advance, thus I can still score on R space. But for business, I personally just can’t handle the current situation with international UG’s right now so all business trips for the next 6 months will be on *A. As I said, just want to take a break for a while and hope a compromise is met between selling all UG’s and saving a few seats to UG using instruments.

10. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:

11. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same problem. Holding the old UA 1 K for 10 years and never received my 2012 1K credentials. Never changed my address. I called and called .... they promised ( it was sent out, it was requested again and sent out ) .... at the end the NEW Mileage Plus is a big mess. Apparently they really don't care about 1 K customer any longer.

The last MP agent told me very rudely, " if you so eager to have your new 1 K card in your wallet,
    why don't you print out a paper copy 1 K card from our website". Nice going, really great customer service.

At the end I might take a break for 6 month as well .... after all DL is expanding rapidly in the
    NYC area, at JFK as well as at LGA.

12. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened to no drama, no hyperbole?

13. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    and differ
    And different- shaped taller CO glasses as well!!

14. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one seeing this font? This is just ridiculous.

15. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One pet peeve -- the GPU use on domestic flights (especially on the PS and Hawaii flights) is supposed to be free of fare restrictions, but neither the website nor agents can get it to work on certain flights. Means the GPUs aren't as useful.

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I can categorize as good/bad, but here are some observations (some contrary to reports).

Agents (particularly sUA) were having real problems immediately after 3/3. This seems to have smoothed out significantly and in the last several weeks I've had zero cases of "I just don't know how to do that."

IRROPS handling as a 1K seems totally unchanged from pmUA. I've had three cases of significant IRROPS over the past month and in every case have gotten exactly what I asked for/needed. I will say that it requires a bit of patience/sense of humor sometimes as pmUA UClub agents fight with SHARES, but it gets done eventually.

I have had it with this m$#therf%^cking snack plate on this m$#therf%^cking plane. The chicken is bad and I don't want the pasta. Would kill or die for the fruit and cheese plate back and would literally hump someone's leg if we could get a real cured meat and cheese snack.

ssullivan and KenInEscazu like this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Being first sent my premier silver credentials under my old, dead, merged account (but one that was originally linked to my MP account, but then merged into an older OP account prior to 3/3). Given that I got the newer account early enough, seemed like a waste of $. A couple of weeks later, I did get the correct one, but then last week, I got a general member package for the first MP account. That was a real head-scratcher.

2) As documented elsewhere (and reported to United), my failure to get an upgrade resulted in a phone call going into an infinite loop.

3) Verified by Visa problem when trying to buy an SK ticket resulted in the itinerary never being ticketed. I then booked it on SK. Same issue had caused difficulty ticketing our Christmas tickets, but we then bought the tickets on another card. Not everyone will have that option, though.

4) Thursday night's p.s. flight, they failed to call pre-boards despite the fact that the GAs had told the three of us, each of whom had gone up to the GAs individually so they'd know we needed to be called.

Misplaced Texan, RRK, did you fail to see the "no drama, no hyperbole" in the thread title? C'mon.

18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Real world experiences post-3/3:

Operationally:
    1) Flight with CO crew CLE-SFO on 3/4. All fine. Note: I had booked this on CO and my CO status was GM because of an integration glitch between my accounts, I didn't get E+, but I frankly can't recall if there was any non-exit E+ on this plane (I think there wasn't, though).
    2) p.s. round-trip 3/21-3/24. All fine. Since E+ was non-optional, no data on E+ benefit for silvers.
    3) p.s. round-trip 4/26-4/30. Not calling pre-boarding on either segment. Outbound plane had no power in my row. On the outbound, RPU didn't clear; it was returned about 4 days later to my sponsor's account, long after the window to apply to the return segment. See E+ note above.

Aside from the RPU not clearing phone call going into an infinite loop (reported), I haven't really seen any issues that were significant to me.