The Next $10 Billion Industry Ready For Disruption

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Nov 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to an interesting article over at techcrunch, it's airport car rentals.

I disagree with some of the points, especially how things are "not fundamentally better" for members of some rewards programs, but I would agree that there's room for improvement there.

They highlight both Flightcar (where you leave your car in the lot and get paid if it's rented out) and Silvercar (a single-model, on-demand approach) as some of the contenders currently trying to disrupt the status quo.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/24/airport-car-rentals-please-god-someone-make-them-not-suck/

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen how some people treat their rental cars and there is not a sufficient amount of money ( in realistic terms) that would convince me to let someone I do not know rent my car.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    People are just plain pigs generally and often even non-smoking cars end up reeking of smoke.
    Besides I drive a manual shift I so would have to be stark raving lunatic to ever consider this.

This is one idea IMHO thats going nowhere.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

There are probably far more that would be willing to be couchsurfing hosts than hand the keys to their car to a stranger.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The disruption will be cities in the future where you are not required to have a car.

I love working in Copenhagen, Bangkok, London, and even Manhattan- where a car just doesn't make sense. That is the way to the future and a disruption that will be most welcome.