The New SkyCouch - Coverage and Reviews

Discussion in 'Air New Zealand | Airpoints' started by eightblack, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    sobore likes this.
  2. upgrd

upgrd Active Member

Status Points:
    Although the product is nice, the pricing still seems high. On some dates I am seeing two economy class tickets for $2300 total compared to two tickets with a "skybed" for $4300. Seems like buying the extra seat should only bump the price to $3400 or so.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having a bit of a play with the NZ website, it looks like the fee for the third seat on the SkyCouch can vary a lot - between NZD 400 and NZD 1,100 seen so far on AKL-LAX-AKL. There doesn't seem to be any obvious rhyme or reason to it, as this fee is added on to a standard economy base fare that's been the same for every day I've looked at it ($1,075 each way).

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it depends on booking class and skycouch availability.

5. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd prefer business.

6. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we'd ALL prefer business!;)

The skycouch is at best a 5 foot long, slightly wider, not as comfortable business class seat.

Still, its nice to see someone trying to innovate in Economy class travel.

sobore likes this.
  7. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they're trying to get a feel for what people are willing to pay for the skycouch by toying with the pricing? It's a novel concept but in the long run I don't see it expanding beyond NZ. At least not in a 10 abreast configuration with such narrow aisles.

8. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno. 10-abreast is becoming annoyingly more common. This makes me deeply grumpy.

9. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely only if you're seated there!

Jeff

10. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alas, the life of an itinerant journalist-cum-choral-singer does not always enable a business class trip... nor high-season premium economy! ;)

adl73x likes this.
  11. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked a one-way flight for two of us LAX-LHR and was offered the option to upgrade to a sky couch, essentially buying the third seat in a row, for about 60% the cost of buying another entire seat as separate ticket. I didn't go for the offer, but it did lead me to believe that the load factor on the flight would be light as I assume the pricing corresponds to the expected ability to sell the third seat as a single ticket. I reasoned the price for the incremental seat would be very similar to the upsell of the sky couch if the flight were expected to be full.

In any case, when I went to choose my seats, the seat map indicated only 6 seats available in all of coach! I know I shouldn't trust the seat map to indicate availability, but this did leave me a bit confused since I expected far more seats to be available Thoughts?

savydog likes this.
  12. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    After having flown on the above mentioned flight, I can confirm that economy was indeed sold out on this flight so either I'm misreading the situation or someone on the Air New Zealand revenue management team needs to retrained. Several parties around me had opted for the sky couch, including a family of four that included three full price passengers plus a lap child and one woman who opted to take the three seats to herself. I'd imagine the single passenger buying a sky couch is not a common occurrence as two separate flight attendants tried to move her to a single seat in the middle of the aircraft to make room for more passengers. To her credit, the passenger protested and enjoyed the luxury of three seats for one all the way to London.

Has anyone on the board opted for the sky couch? If so, what are your thoughts on the value after having taken the flight?