The new norm for carry-on baggage?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by chef4u, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying DFW- CLT-YYZ yesterday. Flight is very full. 15 minutes prior to boarding, the GA announces that if you are seated in sections 4 and 5, do not expect any overhead bin space, so please consider checking your carry-on, no charge. This was not a gate check situation. Baggage ended up being checked all the way through, no charge. Down side is the waiting time at YYZ for the bags to arrive. So...is the new norm for sections 4 and 5 to be sh#t out of luck when it comes to carry-ons ? Is the solution better policing of carry-on baggage limits, or are they actually overselling overhead bin space? Just askin' .

gregm and blackjack-21 like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happens often when we take the CO...oops, UA E145's from YYZ to EWR. They try to get me to gatecheck my old flightbag but when I show them it fits into their sizers (albieit tightly) they USUALLY let me bring it on board. One time the gate agent handed me a blue carryon tag which I didn't attach as we boarded, and the FA tried to stop me, insisting my bag was too large to fit in the overhead. I offered to prove to her it fit, and if it didn't I'd then gate check it.

Bottom line, it fit and I kept it with me on the flight. We recently bought a new soft sided fightbag, and I've checked it's dimensions against all the major carriers lists. Should easily fit AC, AA, BA, DL, UA, and others, and I'll be happy to show them their lists and my flightbag's dimensions if needed. Enough of the BS already! :rolleyes:

gregm likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happened on a few recent flights, and I do not agree with how it was handled. Just because you are stuck boarding last does not mean should waive your "right" (probably not the right word) to carry a bag on with you. Im all for bag sizers and enforcement of carry on sizes. For smaller planes, I understand if bags just wont fit, but those boarding last should not lose out on keeping their bag with them becuase those who board first carry on takes up too much space.

blackjack-21 and gregm like this.
  4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they continue to charge for checked-in bags, this problem will either persist or continue to get worse. Hopefully it gets back enough that airlines will consider alternatives. For now, it will probably be the status quo.

Counsellor, blackjack-21 and gregm like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is. Happens all the time on my flights (MD88 &90s.) GAs announce a very full flight and ask for volunteers to check carry-ons free of charge.

traveltoomuch and blackjack-21 like this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same announcement (explicitly mentioning Boarding Groups [Zones] 4 and 5 and offering checked luggage without fee) was given yesterday on my RSW-DCA US Air flight. I think some did take advantage of the offer. Overhead space was tight, and people were "poaching" space over other seats more so than I remember being usual.

Maybe it is the new normal. Probably should have been anticipated as a consequence of charging to check luggage, which would have the effect of increasing carry-ons. And few people want their carry-on to be taking up legroom under the seat in front of them, so the urge is to store it overhead if possible, even if it would fit under the seat. Accordingly, I'm not persuaded that stricter enforcement of size limits would relieve the situation entirely. The fact is that you simply can't store three pax "legal-size" carry-ons in the overhead above that row.

I would suspect the reason for the "targeting" of Zones 4 and 5 is twofold: (a) they board last, after earlier pax have poached available space, perhaps over their assigned seats, and (b) if you're in a "free bag" category (elite, branded credit card holder, etc.) you're almost certain to be in the earlier Boarding Groups, so if you're in Boarding Group 4 or 5 the odds are the complimentary bag check would be attractive and save you money.

Sometimes those of us in Boarding Group 1 or Priority boarding don't fully appreciate the problems late boarders face . . .

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    blackjack-21 and chef4u like this.
  7. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is the new normal. At least half of my flight mention there is no hope for group 4 and 5 and to please check the bags.

8. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been in place for years, 30 people in zone 4 and 5 need to check those bags to their final destination as soon as they get to the gate so we can depart on time. Usually people in these zones only fly 1-2 times a year and know nothing about it.

9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish this were the new normal. What I'm instead seeing are claims that "we're already out of space" when, in fact, there is still some space left. I don't like it when gate agents lie.

It's been explained as "our computer estimates when the bins will be full...", which is fine, but please at least admit the possibility that the estimate might be off.