The new LH / OS Business Cabin NEK

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by LFCorsten, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa’s short and medium-haul fleet undergo cabin revamp

The figures by themselves are impressive: Lufthansa is installing some 32,000 new seats on more than 180 aircraft in its short and medium-haul fleet – within the space of just one year. This will create a new travel experience and ensure greater passenger comfort. Thanks to the new, ergonomically shaped seat with its slim backrest, passengers will now have more than four centimetres extra legroom. As part of the new inflight service concept, passengers travelling in Economy Class will again be offered snacks such as muesli bars and chocolate, even on domestic routes.

Have you tried the new NEK? What are your experiences?

2. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Impressive that they can reconfigure their entire short haul fleet within one year, but need 5 years to refit C and F long haul !
    That's clear evidence of their priorities.

totti and oliver2002 like this.
  3. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    6 or more seats in the cabin makes revenue. I was told the seats refinance until end of 2014 only by saved fuel and selling more seats.

4. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, that's fast. TG plans to reconfigure all of their current planes until 2022 :D

Rambuster likes this.
  5. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's of course easy to quantify - if you can sell all of these new seats. Only then is the calculation correct.
    With C and F it is difficult to quantify the loss of future pax to other airlines in premium cabins, due to an inferior product.
    I am pretty loyal - or at least used to be, but even I now purchased an EK F ticket.
    I'm already curious at the experience. Perhaps it will be a good alternative in future?

rofra and flysurfer like this.
  6. Additional seats bring more money as previously mentioned -- new C and F seats require more space - meaning less seats and less money. :)

7. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many seats did LH sell in F or D full fare??

8. Probably enough of them - or else they would have upgraded faster. :)

Ok. Upgrading C and F seats is also likely to require more work, as it is not just ditching one set of seats for the next, there would also be quite substantial electronics works required. Also, not sure if the maintenance schedule of interconts makes it harder to fit the upgrade in.

9. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    But they may allow reducing the weight. And if they have upgraded IFE, LH can save money on catering, since everyone would be raving about the IFE anyway.

And do the new LX C seats really take so much more space than the ones on LH?

asmithLHR likes this.
  10. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    depends on the AC type. OS wants for their Boeings the LX seats.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Rambuster- indeed I was debating this last night with some of my colleagues who also fly quite frequently.

The big issue with EK is the middle of the night connections to SE Asia.

The "bling factor" seats are really just that- however they are great for working or sleeping in as opposed to making sure you get a shower on the plane.

A number of colleagues I know are moving more business to where they can get a real flat bed in C. I don't mind the "slippery slope", but I have had a few jabs i.e. "You still flying LH? Why do you do that?". Anyway I like the LH longhaul C- the new Y cabin shorthaul I really don't like the loss of the closet- this is very poor. Also on the A321, there are not nearly enough washrooms in Y, and they pulled the one out in front of row 11, so now Y passengers are continually in the C cabin for the washroom.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    After a couple of more flights with the New Economy Class- a few points:
    1) FA's are seriously upset about losing the closet. Passengers are complaining in C that they cannot hang up their coats.
    2) The new catering concept is very good- IF and only IF you are on a serious starvation diet. FRA/VCE for example gets yogourt, a "corn cereal" bar, a tiny muffin, and something that I am not sure what it is, plus a half cheese sandwich on rye bread. The sandwich is unedible- good for your dentist only (revenue generation for her/him). The muffin is so small you may miss even seeing it. The corn cereal bar is disgusting.
    3) The seats are actually quiet uncomfortable- I really wanted to believe what I read about customers preferring them- not the case. Also the table tray is gone in the middle- which is too bad as it was very useful for holding drinks.

On the positive side, the colours are nice, and apparently there are 4 cm more knee room due to the contour of the seats.

For economy, the product is OK.
    For business, this is one of the poorer products in Europe now.