The new fare classes or how AC is wrongly perceived to tighten the screws

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Oct 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I am reliably told that the new Tango buckets just announced do not, or will not appear on, International flights. They are for NA flights only. AC will clarify in due time. As for the Latitude fare "increases" the % of people buying those fare buckets beofre the rise in price was well below 5% because the Z fare are almost the same.

A lot of what AC does to fare buckets are for better integration with other *A carriers. There isd no intent to "punish" any whiners or bottom feeders as many have been falsely led to believe.

Details to follow from AC. So everyone can now calm down:cool:

Wageslave and tomh009 like this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm ... maybe my YYZ-EWR-YYZ milk run will become Tango instead? Certainly not as painful there.

For me, the biggest problem is the current Tango offering to Asia, as the delta can be quite substantial. (And Tango fares are still available for tomorrow's flights, so can't avoid them by just waiting later to book, either.) The games we have to play ...

Anyway, thanks for the update, let's see what the final outcome is.

3. here's an update that was sent to someone from AC:
    Some items that we want to clarify for all of you:

• Introduction of Tango fares on flights between Canada and Europe, Israel & South America. We introduced Tango fares to these markets on October 16, expanding upon a change we made last year to introduce these fares on flights between Canada and Asia & Australia. With the introduction of Tango fares on these markets, we have also transitioned booking classes T, L and K from Tango Plus to Tango on all international flights between Canada and Europe, Israel, South America, Asia & Australia. Note that booking classes T, L and K will remain Tango Plus for flights within Canada, or between Canada and the United States & Sun markets (Mexico, the Caribbean & Central America).
    • Maintaining your upgrade and mileage accumulation eligibility for reservations prior to October 16. With this change, in order to maintain your eUpgrade eligibility, the international reservations (including any connecting segments) of Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members booked in classes T, L and K prior to October 16 were rebooked into a Tango Plus class. Note that this rebooking should be completed by the end of the weekend. Additionally, all Air Canada Top Tier and Aeroplan members will earn 100% Status Miles for these international reservations made prior to October 16.
    • Introduction of Tango fares on flights between Canada and the United States. We have introduced Tango fares to the U.S. at even more competitive price points; however, these fares are only available on leisure markets (as pointed out, mostly for travel to Florida, Hawaii and Las Vegas). We have been double-checking to ensure that fares have not been incorrectly filed on other markets, and it appears that everything is working as expected. Note that, in an improvement versus today, Tango fares on flights between Canada and the United States will earn 50% Status Miles, as opposed to 25% non-status Aeroplan Miles.
    • Issues with our Display Fares Eligible for Upgrade Feature. With the introduction of these changes, the Display Upgrade Eligible Fares feature was inadvertently impacted. We are still encountering some issues with this feature which we are working to fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, however, as always, if you are eligible to upgrade from any Tango Plus fare based on the Top Tier status you hold, you can book with confidence on aircanada.com knowing that any fare you pick in the Tango Plus column will be eligible for an upgrade with eUpgrade Credits, even without using the Display Upgrade Eligible Fares feature.
    • Changes to Latitude fares. One of the changes that was introduced this week on aircanada.com was the removal of our special, web-only Latitude fares. Based on your feedback, we will be reintroducing them from early next week. In the meantime, later today you can expect to see Latitude fares in price ranges to which you are more accustomed in key markets so that you do not need to wait until Monday for new reservations.
    This is an update as to where we’re at right now. Should anyone identify additional discrepancies, don’t hesitate to identify them to us via PM and we will review them.

4. AC's marketing group blew this one as they were not ready to go "live" with the changes but they inadvertently got released before final approval and last minute changes.
    So everyone can now calm down and start breathing normally again.

5. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sent to someone? You lifted it word for word from FT in this post and the least you could do is credit the source correctly.

antirealist likes this.
  6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes: is right. You repost something verbatin and say it was "sent" to someone and when called on it you cite someone else's repost that actually does cite the orginal location where AC wrote it.

antirealist likes this.
  7. Caught in the web of fantasy again I see and dancing out of tune as usual.....:rolleyes:

• Issues with our Display Fares Eligible for Upgrade Feature. With the introduction of these changes, the Display Upgrade Eligible Fares feature was inadvertently impacted. We are still encountering some issues with this feature which we are working to fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, however, as always, if you are eligible to upgrade from any Tango Plus fare based on the Top Tier status you hold, you can book with confidence on aircanada.com knowing that any fare you pick in the Tango Plus column will be eligible for an upgrade with eUpgrade Credits, even without using the Display Upgrade Eligible Fares feature.
    • .....................................................................................
    This has become far too typical with AC's IT and marketing group and only engages some of TOBB terrorists to heightened fears and delusions that bottom feeding and cheating the system might not be possible any longer. What a soap opera.

8. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's obvious to all you are the only one out of step with the reality of where the AC Top Tier comments were made.

antirealist likes this.
  9. :p

10. rabu

rabu Silver Member

Status Points:
    I m surprised why you didnt post this important bit of info in the FT thread, since it has a higher viewership...

oh ..wait... I m not :rolleyes:

tcook052 likes this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FT? What's that? :eek:

guinnessxyz likes this.
  12. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you please clarify this? How does this square with your previous quote: Introduction of Tango fares on flights between Canada and Europe, Israel & South America. We introduced Tango fares to these markets on October 16, expanding upon a change we made last year to introduce these fares on flights between Canada and Asia & Australia. With the introduction of Tango fares on these markets, we have also transitioned booking classes T, L and K from Tango Plus to Tango on all international flights between Canada and Europe, Israel, South America, Asia & Australia.
    Are you saying that they won't publish anymore international fares in the T,K,L buckets?

antirealist likes this.
  13. I just did some dummy bookings to Asia in Tango and none of them came up. The fare bucket I mostly saw was "N". Knowing AC's ability to not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time with regards to their marketing and fare pricing I would suggest that another "clarification" will follow.

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asian routes have had Tango fares for at least six months.

ACMM likes this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw Tango on flights to HKG in January 2012.

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP has a distinguished record of posting unacknowledged material in violation of others' copyright.

As for the initial post on this thread, he is totally incorrect. Tango fares are indeed being applied widely, including now on major US sun destinations. Why post incorrect and misleading information?

tcook052 likes this.
  17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean by paying the lowest T+ fares and thus keeping our own money in our pockets when purchasing AC fares that clearly give us these benefits, we are cheating the system? How does that work? That AC has decided mid-year to change those rules has led to a legitimate uproar by those who have followed the rules in good faith. Seems 90% of those here and on FT are wrong be feel betrayed by this "change without notice" and you are right.

18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I won't quite say "betrayed" but certainly "disappointed" and "disheartened".

antirealist and ACMM like this.
  19. I think AC understands they screwed up by making changes that could affect peoples' status next year but as usual they will wait to see how much damage, if any, there is to their FF loyalty base. The tightening of screws is a direct result of people like one who posted above you breaking every rule in place years ago by using all sorts of loopholes to benefit themselves and an army of followers. When these loopholes were closed these same people were screaming like stuck pigs saying the airline was cheating them while at the same time wondering what would happen to their AE accounts if AC went into bankruptcy. In other words it was not simple consumer advocacy but in effect a way of cheating the system. They thought that getting the cake with icing, strawberry topping and ice cream was due them for the price of flour only is my way of explaining the behaviour. We all try to pay less for things but only to a certain level. I will at least pay for the cake and icing and hope to get the strawberries and ice cream thrown in.
    Its an interesting social study that someone should undertake some day about people who say they are ethical and honest except when it suits them to to use unintended loopholes in getting around some rules.

In any event I rest my case on this subject;time to move on and deal with the realities of looking for an upgrade to HKG on a T+ fare. ;)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again you seem to have this bizarre belief that being economical and following the T&Cs of fares is somehow dishonest? What rules were broken? The T&Cs of T+ fares were clear and the benefits attached to them equally so. Knowing such things does not constitute breaking rules. Breaking rules is changing them in mid-stream, invoking "subject to change without notice".

And of course, by posting what you did, you clearly implicated the FTer who AC hired because he was the king of work-arounds.

BTW what is the purpose of a BB like this or FT if it is not to exchange tips on how to maximize benefits? It's not to spend hours reading the inane egocentric posts by the likes of Parnel aka T.Q. aka guinessxyz. Had you bought your ticket on UA or AA, you'd have been able to confirm your upgrade when you booked, not playing Aerolotto 7-days out, and running into the zero'd out R lockdown! I've already confirmed my upgrades to Asia for the first quarter of next year...and paid half of what AC's current T+ fares are.

antirealist likes this.
  21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    How AC deceived and continues to mislead us...

From the new Altitude web page (still there):

Tango Plus
    Booking Classes U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L and K

From ACTT on FT: "We have also transitioned booking classes T, L and K from Tango Plus to Tango on all international flights between Canada and Europe..."

tcook052 likes this.
  22. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, typical AC IT mistakes. Still waiting for those new and improved better and lower T fares...