The new E175

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tommy777, Jun 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks

I just took my first ride on the new E175 yesterday and wanted to write a couple of lines about the experience.

I was flying DCA-ORD and my original flight was delayed by 2 hours because of late incoming aircraft, so I rebooked to the earlier flight, which was operated by Skywest and the new E175

New planes are nice and it looks great. 4 rows of First, which gives the aircraft as many First seats as the A320 and 4 more F seats than the much larger A319.

As I rebooked and did standby, I was lucky to even get on and had to settle for 21C. The legroom is actually really good even all the way in the back, that's the only positive thing with the slim seats.

I've already tried the Recaro slim seats in Europe many times on at about 10 different airlines and for those who have tried them, there are various versions and comfort can be ok, but at the end of the day, the Recaro seats are not made for rides up to 6-7 hours like we can see in some cases in the US, like a 319 ride from IAD to SAN. The Lufthansa seat is ok for up to 2 hours. After 2 hours the seat cushion is just not think enough. BAs new seat is actually a lot better and I did a 3 hour flight recently and it was ok.

But the Skywest E175 seat is something completely different. The seat cushion is about the same thickness as the Lufthansa seat. You'll start to feel it being uncomfortable two hours in. It was to be expected.

But that's not the main problem. The seat back part of the seat is the thinnest I have ever experienced. It's pretty much instantly uncomfortable. If you feel the seat back part, it's not more than an inch thick, if that.

And it doesn't end there. The seat only goes up to where my neck starts and I'm only 6.1. If I lean back, my head rests on hard plastic making it extremely uncomfortable. I could not rest my head back at all, I ended up leaning forward the entire flight. If you are taller than me, it's going to be one uncomfortable ride.

My back is not the best and after a total time of almost two hours in the seat, I my neck was sore and I woke up the next morning with a tweaked neck.

Sorry, United. Another swing and miss. This seat is absolutely the worst I have ever experienced. Plane sure looks pretty, but IMHO, avoid at all cost.

I will try the F seat in a couple of weeks though, maybe some of you have already

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, the E-175 seat is not Recaro. (The Airbus A320 and A319 on UA are the only planes with Recaro seats)

Thanks for the write-up though! I am on an E-175 next week on ORD-AUS.

3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown the E75 F seat and it felt and looked just like the older E70 F seat, with the new seat cover design on it. It was fine, comfort wise.

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm sure F is better, but coach had absolutely no headrest, and no padding on the seat back.

Yeah, I know it's not Recaro, sorry for not making it clear in my post, but it's still made slimmer to give more room, so I was just comparing it to what I've experienced in Europe

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the E175 seat is the same as the new CR7 seat I am sitting in now... They're rock hard.

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new CR700 seats are absolutely miserable for me, even in F. Granted I have back pain and some kind of muscular condition that hurts most days, but I can sit in an old F mainline seat all day without ever feeling the least bit uncomfortable. Ditto for the seats on the E90s that AV and CM fly.

I was really looking forward to this, but this is not good news at all. I can carry my Tumpur-Pedic seat cushion, but the new carry-on rules make it questionable as to whether or not I'll be allowed to fit it into something that I can take on board. I am big time bummed out to hear this, although can't say I'm a bit surprised.

7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's face it, no airline in this country is installing comfortable seats in Y these days. I've flown new slimline seats on UA, WN, DL, and AA. They're all pretty awful.

bmg42000 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL has slimlines on their mainline planes? I had no idea.

But yes, they're all going that direction. I just wonder how uncomfortable they have to become before people say "nope, no more"

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, and more are coming as they retrofit.

I don't think we're there yet. Lose another inch or two of pitch, however, and I could see that start to happen. Then again, there are some who simply want cheap passage from A to B and they deal with being uncomfortable to make that happen.

Hartmann likes this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL was installing some Weber (now known as Zodiac) slimline seats in their 738s 4-5 years ago. They're not as slim as some of the current generation, but at the time DL started installing them, they mentioned that they were getting an extra row on those planes because of those seats.

11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the new design for the next Y seats:

[​IMG]