The New American Announces Senior Leadership Team; Milepoint Friend Maya Liebman On The List

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Jun 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    American Airlines and US Airways continue to make important progress in our merger to create the world’s best airline. This morning, we announced the senior executive team that will lead the combined airline following the merger’s close – bringing us one step closer to the vision of becoming the new American Airlines.

As previously announced, Doug Parker will be Chief Executive Officer of the combined company. The rest of the senior leadership team includes:
    • Scott Kirby: President
    • Elise Eberwein: Executive Vice President, People and Communications
    • Bev Goulet: Chief Integration Officer
    • Robert Isom: Chief Operating Officer and Chief Executive Officer of US Airways, Inc. post-close
    • Steve Johnson: Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs
    • Derek Kerr: Chief Financial Officer
    • Maya Leibman: Chief Information Officer
    • Will Ris: Senior Vice President, Government Affairs
    These senior leaders all have outstanding industry expertise and experience, and have distinguished themselves as consistently achieving strong business and operational results throughout their careers. This team represents not just the best of both companies, but what we truly believe is the most capable management team in the industry.
    I'm personally very happy to see Maya's name up there. She's one of the most approachable travel executives I've met, and seems keenly focused on getting things done. I was kind of expecting that they would announce who's running the loyalty program. I suspect that decision is already made, just not publicized.

zpaul, Tenmoc, MX and 7 others like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their current positions:

Scott Kirby - US Air, President
    Elise Eberwein - US Air, EVP HR/Public Affairs
    Bev Goulet - AA SVP, Chief Integration Officer (former VP of Corp Development/Treasurer)
    Robert Isom - US Air EVP, COO
    Steve Johnson - US Air EVP, Corporate/Gov't Affairs
    Derek Kerr - US Air EVP, CFO
    Maya Leibman - AA SVP, CIO
    Will Ris - AA SVP, Gov't/Regulatory Affairs

Final score: US Air 6 (including Parker), AA 3 (with two positions that shouldn't be needed one the two companies complete the merger and operate under one certificate). Draw your own conclusions...

basiface, zpaul, Tenmoc and 5 others like this.
  3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    No surprise there but still worth noting how tilted the new line-up is towards US. We'll see what happens to the loyalty program. That's what I am most interested in.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I commented on that in my blog post this morning. I strongly suspect it's going to be US but I'm still rooting for Suzanne.

zpaul, alfagirl, DCA Rob and 2 others like this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll do that when I see what's out there.

I have to believe that Parker and the new group have learned a lot from the UA debacle.

zpaul and Travelsavant like this.
  6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Parker has experienced many debacles on his own. Maybe they will go back to selling a soda on the flight and getting rid of bonus miles -- like he did before he reversed it at US.... Good luck with Parker at the helm. I don't think it will be a positive thing.

zpaul, Mike Reed, Philphactor and 3 others like this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can hope so, but I doubt it.

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    "So, Sir Arthur, do you feel that you've learned from your mistakes?"

"Oh, yes, certainly. I feel that I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm certain that I could repeat them exactly."

(Peter Cook & Dudley Moore, The Frog and Peach).

zpaul, Mike Reed, mht_flyer and 4 others like this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone is surprised that a majority of these leadership positions are taken up by former US Airways leadership. The question I have is whether they will try and run the combined airline the exact same way they ran US or if they have to come up with a slightly different formula since they are no longer the small fish in the big pond.

I think a smaller carrier can get away with experiments (like charging for sodas) but the bad PR and loss of customer trust that comes with these experiments with a larger airline could have a much bigger impact than they would have seen at US. Hopefully they update their fudge factors under the combined entity.

zpaul, mht_flyer, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  10. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad Maya made the list & hope Suzanne survives the merger too. Heck, hope we all do!

zpaul, Tenmoc, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  11. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they will keep AA way of royalty program instead f US.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard US Airways dba American Airlines.

The US Airways model is profitable so why wouldn't the leadership run AA the same? I expect they will prioritize profits and reliable operations over everything else.

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping US would have taken over the website. The new AA webiste has been a disaster. Every AA customer I have sat next to in F on an AA flight - doesn't like the new website either. This includes high powered lawyers.

14. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Proof that the new AA is on the right track.

15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not surprised in the least, but I am saddened. Actually, I'm surprised that as many as 3 AA people made the final cut.

To me, that's not in question. They are definitely going to run the combined airline more like the way US is run than the way that AA is run. To me, the question is how will the changes be rolled out? All at once, or little by little?

I'm glad Maya made it, and I hope Suzanne makes it, too. But even if she makes it, will she be allowed to run AAdvantage the way we enjoy it now, or will the higher ups at US force her to devalue it?

Travelsavant and MX like this.
  16. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    We already know the answer. :( Decreased competition usually spells a worse deal for the customers.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  17. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    What did the leadership look like in the US/America West merger? Probably pretty close if I had to guess.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I supposed to interpret this as the management of the loyalty program not being a focus of the senior management team?

Juanefny likes this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No... but with Delta de-emphasizing Memphis, my central US short-haul connection availability is [unfortunately] firmly cemented in DFW and ORD. :/

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are msp, dtw, and atl that much worse than mem for your purposes?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think decreased competition is the reason things may go downhill (from the perspective of an AA FFer), but rather the mindset of Dougie and his attitude (and that of his people) regarding the place, role, and form of a frequent flyer program.

In the short-term, that's probably true. Short-term (say the first year or so), they're going to be concerned with the nuts and bolts of combining the airlines and getting them to operate as one. In the long-term is where I see the risks.

What about UA (IAH and ORD)?

mht_flyer likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought conventional wisdom was that loyalty programs are where airlines reliably bring in the profits. Seems odd to me to nt name a senior management team member responsible for such a high visibility position.

23. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no doubt that they are running AA more like US. What I was trying to get at was to what degree will they run it like US. Exactly the same? Only partially? If partially, which parts? That is what I am waiting to find out... particularly when it comes to seat configuration, charges and the FF program.

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did not list any one in sales or marketing in the ELT so probably this is information that will be added later or is still in decision making status based on integration planning which is quite a large project.

25. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    But more stability to the industry and a better deal for employees who have had to face many reductions in pay and benefits, if not lost outright through Chapter 11 proceedings. Within the US the new "big three" will still have the likes of Southwest and JetBlue to keep fares down and be competitive on some routes, even from their fortress hubs. In this case, particularly, there is very little duplication on routes and US and AA don't compete in many cities, this is truly a complementary merging to create an airline that can better compete with UA and DL, themselves the result of significant route consolidation by gobbling up CO and NW respectively.

I've not flown US all that much but have had a few segments on both domestic and international flights. I was impressed by the international lounge at PHL and also by the domestic ones at CLT. Snacks are much better than the free offerings in the Admirals Clubs. The drawback in F domestic is that it is UDU for all elites so the cabins are always full (no empty seats which is something I like about AA). So adopting both of those across the AA system would be a benefit to Club members as well as all elites. That said, its business class seats on its 767s are the pits and make AA's almost seem like F! However, I believe the new seats on the 330s are similar to what AA is installing so we've unlikely to see a rollback of the refurb program on the 772s and international 767s.

I agree US's FF program sucks. It sells too many miles too cheaply and has degraded the program to the point that most STAR carriers strictly limit awards to US members. And of course the top tier SWU upgrade opportunities are a far cry from AA's 8 a year! But as noted above, it offers UDU to all elites not just those at the very top.

Suppose I've digressed into another thread speculating on the future, but I do so only to suggest that not everything US's management has done is all that bad and if brought over to AA would be a net gain (save for the FF program and 100K elite benefits which with AA are the best in the business ).

I was an optimist about the CO/UA merger and while some things did improve (MP is still a pretty good program) I moved over to AA because the front line service/attitude at UA was lacking even for a 1K. My experience with AA has been extremely positive on almost all accounts and ExecPlats are still treated much better than 1Ks at UA. But time will tell...I'll still keep a positive mindset until we actually see what this team is going to present us with.

austin_res and LETTERBOY like this.