The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Kalboz, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket is a former Six Senses Sanctuary that underwent a US$2.3M refurbishment and opened late last year with 67 villas under 20-year management agreement for Starwood. A recent article in the British Independent reviews this property.
    [​IMG]

sobore, IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, we've been back to California for a month now ... yes, it would've been nice to meet you. I finally met TRAVELSIG, LIH Prem, and at least six other MPers/FTers some I have known and met with many times over the years including FTer lovtofly3. It was disappointing, however, not to see Sean (thepilot), Dr. HFH, and Kwai (dsquared37 on FT) during this trip. Maybe it is time to start our own Ongoing Thailand Meet a MPer Thread in the Thailand branch.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore and uggboy like this.
  5. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not yet ... but just booked 3 business award seats (plus an infant ticket) on a JAL flight to LOS (land of smile) departing 9/4 using AA miles. We will try to make it to this Naka Island but I doubt it as I have two kids in tow plus I lost my SPG Platinum status ... we will see how it goes!

And you?

7. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    No...after I stayed at the LM Koh Samui and didn't like the outdoor toilets, I was told I'd like the outdoor bathrooms even less at Naka. So now I'm conflicted. It was on my bucket list...and even the picture I choose for my SPG membership card..but I'm not sure about the bathroom. But the photos your friend posted (and you shared here) are amazing!

Maybe in October I'll give it a try for 2 nights and see how it goes.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was there (on free nights) and wouldn't go back. It is NOT a great place with young children. The grounds are large and hilly. You can call for a buggy (I didn't) but walking with young ones can get old quick. The beach is not great (or safe since there is really not much area where boats don't go except very shallow areas), littered with debris. Food is VERY expensive and IMHO not worth the price and you have to pay $100 each to get off the island - to a place where there is one over priced snack bar and nothing else for miles.

The outside toilet would be a pain with young ones (again IMHO). It might be romantic for couples but really isn't a child oriented property.[/quote]

Kalboz likes this.
  9. willski

willski Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since anyone this thread has been active but as I'm going this coming weekend, I'll try and make a contribution!

I'll be going with the girlfriend, so will post updates as to impressions and thoughts for a nice, quiet weekend away. The aim of the trip is just to relax and do nothing, so we will see how that goes :)

TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.
  10. willski

willski Active Member

Status Points:
    Been slightly busy so couldn't update but below are some brief impressions. Overall, had a great time and would definitely contemplate going back for a long weekend, although for a long stay I would consider branching out to the main island itself (especially if children are in tow).

Stayed for 2 nights 3 days with the girlfriend, so definitely more of a romantic/couple orientated getaway than a family holiday. We had arranged for a pick-up at the airport (after a short flight from Singapore) but upon arrival at the airport there was some difficulty in finding the designated staff; this was more to do with the fact that picking out signs amongst the crowds of people was a tad difficult. Nonetheless after a phone call and a quick wait, we were whisked to the marina in a BMW (5-series for those curious), and from there a very short speedboat ride to the main island itself.

The arrival at the long pier was quite impressive, and first impressions were very good. There was a Korean member of staff to welcome us all well which was an unexpected surprise (us being Korean/ethnically Korean). Bracelets were given, and a gong was struck to 'welcome' us to the island, a brief experience I rather enjoyed, and from there we travelled by golf buggy straight to our room where check-in was done very efficiently and warmly. A welcome letter in the room was written in both English and Korean; a small gesture that I appreciated. All in all, impressions from the airport to the room itself were very good.

Personally, I liked the room very much. We were in Villa 9 which was fairly close to where all the main facilities are located meaning only a quick walk or very short bike ride was needed. This was convenient as for the villas more on the other side (unsure what numbers), walking to the main areas would take a relatively long time (although buggy service is provided if asked for). The villa was spacious with both indoor and outdoor lounging areas, and I personally liked the outdoor toilet and showers. The interior had a rather rustic charm to it, and I warmed to it.

Two bicycles were provided and herein lies a minor criticism (although it may just have been bad luck): our bicycles and some of the replacement had problems (e.g. non-working rear brake, rusted chains etc.) that caused small inconveniences. I'm sure this has to do with the weather, and when requested they were replaced extremely quickly. Nonetheless, using the bicycles made navigating the resort a cinch and a short ride to the neighbouring fishing village was also enjoyable.

The pool was great and the beach nice, although the sand is not of the fluffy white variety and a bit more 'hard'. There were no lifeguards, so those with young children should take care. Service was attentive (will come back to this later) and really we couldn't have asked for more with regards to just lounging around and relaxing. I liked the gym a lot - good enough selection of equipment for a nice workout. It was completely empty in the morning, but got fairly busy in the late afternoon.

We tried both restaurants, the bar, and room service as well. Breakfast was very filling and made me sleepy. Of the two restaurants I enjoyed Tonsai (the more casual) much more than 'My Grill', although neither are of the super high-end cuisine that you might find in some of the great city-hotels in the world and cost-performance could (and for the price probably should) be better. The food did not detract from my experience there, but if improved the memories would have been that much better. Room service was actually the most enjoyable meal I had there.

We went to the bar both evenings to watch the sunset and it was gorgeous, although in all fairness I assume sunsets in an island locale are hard to mess up. Cycling home after some drinks was interesting (!), and the library had a selection of DVD's and books for the guests. I'm generally not a huge fan of resort gift shops, but I quite liked the small one they had there.

Service was great throughout our whole time there and any request or minor question was answered quickly, efficiently and warmly. Many of the staff greeted us by name despite our very short stay, and we felt completely at ease during our time there.

As we were there for only a short while, we were more than content to lounge around, with the odd jaunt by kayak or cycle. There were some other water activities available (windsurfing, jet ski) as well as lang-based ones (e.g. yoga, thai-boxing etc.), and what seemed to be a decent and varied range of activities and trips to other islands that could be arranged.

We wanted a relaxing weekend away from city-life and that is exactly what we got. We would (and will) consider going again, although we do want to check out other places as well. Staying for 10 days or so at this property could be a bit long I imagine given the more limited variety of activities and food available (inevitable given the location). I'm sure it could work, but repeatedly engaging in activities would mean expenses would ramp up.

All in all, had a relaxing and enjoyable stay enhanced by the friendly staff. A very nice weekend away :)

AroundTheWorld and Kalboz like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This resort is on sale for limited time: http://exclusives.lc.com/Naka-Islan...ffers?language=en_US&IM=PP_LHN_SOP_US_LC_3714
    [​IMG]