The Mobile Experience

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Wandering Aramean, Oct 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the extra "stuff" now makes load times much, much worse. Also, much harder to navigate through the forums with the floating toolbars and sponsor flag at the bottom.

The "New Posts" search is still several taps away rather than just one, though at least it is now available.

And, quite frankly, the mobile experience was never particularly good. Given the huge emphasis on that within the House of Miles I expected to see significant improvements with the relaunch, not a solution which is the same or marginally worse.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    We'll be coming out with a custom app that will make mobile navigation better, but for now I'd recommend bookmarking New Posts and/or saving that page to your home screen if you often use it frequently.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just use Tapatalk.. Repeat repeat repeat

[Sent from my Tapatalk enabled iPhone]

4. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of that - Tapatalk just fixed the issue we were having with updating the app, so the InsideFlyer branded one should be out soon as well.

ACMM likes this.
  5. Denny
    Original Member

Denny House of Miles Staff Staff Member

Status Points:
    This is what I was referencing in another thread about enhancing the the UI to add things to make it better.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I had used Tapatalk in the past, then used the native MilePoint app. So will be happy to use a new InsideFlyer app when available. But honestly have really started to enjoy the Tapatalk app again. Any port in a storm :)

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    First off let it be known that I like to access websites through mobile safari not an app.

On the mobile site top right login option with the person icon there is no option to stay logged in. So I have to login each time. Thanks

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering does your app get more use than the mobile (or full) websites via mobile devices?

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also I think this is site wide but I miss the red notifications.

10. Denny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The InsideFlyer app is a branded version of tapatalk. The milepoint app was too before the rebranding. So you should be happy with the "new" app, it's just a branded / colored version of what you are using.

11. Denny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I personally am a mobile Safari person vs using an app. I just like that control and the site is designed to work great in mobile safari and not require an app. The app is just a supplemental option that you can install and view InsideFlyer on vs Safari. So you should be good.

We are currently working to add some UI fixes and adding some better functionality to the site in the next update coming up the beginning of this week most likely. This I believe is part of that fix. If not, it will be coming soon after. Sorry about that not being there by default at launch.

iolaire likes this.
  12. Denny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They are actually there, we just turned them blue. They are right there under your name in the top right of the site in the notification center bar. This is the stock functionality of Xenforo with our site styles over it. We are already planning in this coming update to turn them back to red to allow the reader to notice them vs our blending in blue versions. Sorry, as always, we love the feedback and evaluate how and what to fix each week and work on those things. So keep an eye out for a color change on those soon.

iolaire likes this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great, sometimes it sounds like the app is supposed to solve all the mobile issues, glad to hear that the html site is still evolving.

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am curious. Why do you prefer mobile browser to a mobile app?

15. Denny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can fluidly control the mobile experience in a moments notice to solve issues vs submitting an app and waiting for that update. It's just web vs app. I don't mind apps and like using some things on my phone as an app vs a site though.

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an admin I can see that. I was looking at it from the point of view of iolaire and a user

17. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    I use my browser for most sites with good mobile skins. Not the biggest fan of having a bunch of apps.

On the flip side (as a different kind of admin) I actually use the app more for the forum. Notifications that lead me right to the feedback forum are convenient when I'm not in the office.

ACMM likes this.
  18. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also on the mobile site the "read all" button on the "mark all posts read" popup is black on black (but the cancel button is white), so its a bit confusing.

Mark likes this.
  19. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Thanks @iolaire - it's the same issue on desktop. It's supposed to turn black when you hover the mouse over the "Mark All Posts Read" button, but it's just doing it automatically instead (and doing the same on mobile).

Thanks for the heads up!

iolaire likes this.
  20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for fixing this!

Denny likes this.