The Many Mysteries of Air Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/the-many-mysteries-of-air-travel/?_r=0

Technology and air travel have always gone hand in hand, and they’re only getting more intertwined. From security at the airport to the rules about using electronics in flight to the final resting place of the plane’s toilet contents, airplanes and tech are a constant source of conflict, passion — and questions.
    If you’d like the answers, I highly recommend Patrick Smith’s new book, “Cockpit Confidential.” Mr. Smith is a pilot and blogger; much of the book’s format and contents are on display at his Web site, AskThePilot.com, or in the archives of the “Ask the Pilot” column he wrote for Salon.com for years.
    But as a frequent flyer, I’d much rather have the book, which is a far more comprehensive book of questions and answers about airplanes, airports, airlines and the psychology of flying. Here are some excerpts — factoids that every flier should know:

“Turbulence scares me to death. Do I have reason to be afraid?”
    A.
    No. “A plane cannot be flipped upside-down, thrown into a tailspin or otherwise flung from the sky by even the mightiest gust or air pocket. Conditions might be annoying and uncomfortable, but the plane is not going to crash.”

“If all of a jet’s engines were to fail, can the plane glide to a landing?”
    A.
    Yes. “There’s no greater prospect of instant calamity than switching off the engine in your car when coasting downhill. The car keeps going, and a plane will too.”
    “I understand that planes can jettison fuel. Is this done to lighten the load for landing?”

Read More: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/the-many-mysteries-of-air-travel/?_r=0

2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading this book now and enjoying it quite a bit. He's pretty opinionated, but gives a seemingly complete account of events and situations.

sobore likes this.