The Manhattan Club - when it all goes to hell!

Discussion in 'Timeshares' started by Steven Schwartz, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We own two Starwoods (Scottsdale and Mission Hills) and one Marriott (NJ). About 5 years ago, we purchased resale at the Manhattan Club and loved it. Great location, large suite with two full baths, decent furnishings (well, barely) - it was a great deal for us. We purchased one of the original package which entitled us to 3 weekends over the year.

Worked great for two years. Call a few months in advance and book whatever you wanted. Annual fees were about $1,400. Very pleased. New ones were going for near $40k and we paid $17k.

All began to change after the second year. The fees began to raise dramatically (they are now $2600 per year!) and all of a sudden, it became nearly impossible to get a reservation. At the same time, rooms were available on many websites for less than the prorated cost members were paying! There has never been an adequate response from management. In addition, the board, after all these years, is STILL controlled by the developer. There are three owners on a board of seven people so he continues to do things to benefit him rather than the members.

There is a Yahoo group and the membership has grown from 150 a year ago to almost 400 now. People want out even if they have to give it away - they fees are crazy and they can't get a reservation. People have stated that there are NO MORE DATES AVAILABLE THIS YEAR!

We love our Starwoods. The Marriott was our first purchase and was a mistake but we have done well trading into other Marriotts with it. But this is the worst situation I have ever seen. Fortunately, I sold it on eBay about 20 months ago - for $1525! But I continue to read the board and I am relieved that I acted when I did as current owners cannot even walk away and the Manhattan Club won't take them back - even for free!

Newscience likes this.
  2. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had heard stories about this a while ago so I am glad to hear you got out when you did. $2600 in fees and no availability is inexcusable. I hope the current owners file suit or find relief in another way.

Newscience likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why is it the board still controlled by the developer? Has it not sold out in these years? Seems very strange.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. The bylaws state that as long as he has unsold units, he retains control of the board. And you can be sure he will ALWAYS have unsold units.

Newscience likes this.
  5. alpanaparida

alpanaparida New Member

Status Points:
    We have moved to India - and usually try to book a room (we have a junior suite) 2-3 months ahead of time.
    we never get a reservation. This July - I said the same, called and persisted - they gave me one room night.

This is the first time I have gone to MC in 7 years - even though we travel to NYC every year.

The place is seedy and run down. The club flloors are not redocrated (the hotel floors seem to be),

I have had so many nights lapse and we keep paying every year.

This year - they have given us the option to pay 2014 fees and walk away. We are considering doing that.

Unless - the forum has the appetite to engage in a law suit. Would be happy to be a part of that - as we truly feel ripped off.

Newscience likes this.
  6. BobLitwack

BobLitwack New Member

Status Points:
    I'm an attorney with an Estate that has a time share with The Manhattan Club. I'm trying to get a copy of the By-Laws or other rules governing the time share. Basically I'm trying to find out if we don't pay the annual fee can they go after someone for the fees or do they just get a lien on, or ownership of the time share unit.

Newscience likes this.