The Making/Start of a Myth...Demonstrated

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by NYCUA1K, Mar 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some 3-4 years ago at TOBB, several posters came forward to report that after receiving their HHonors elite membership card with the normal 1-year extension, they unexpectedly received a second elite status card that gave them what appeared like a 2-year status extension, and the apparent reason for this extra-T&C largesse was that they had gotten the 2nd status card thru the AMEX Surpass. Thus was born the myth that one gets a 2-yr status extension on the Surpass.

Here is a simple demo that this was just a misreading of the situation. Late last year, I obtained the Platinum elite status in Hyatt Gold Passport through the Chase United Club visa card, for which I received a Hyatt Platinum membership card early this year with an expiration date of 02/14 -- the normal T&C-stated yearly status duration. Then last month I applied for the Chase Hyatt visa card that comes with automatic membership in Gold Passport at the Platinum level and is good for as long as one has the Chase Hyatt visa card. Yesterday, I received my welcome packet to Gold Passport that contained another Hyatt Platinum membership card, but this one is good to 02/15. Did I get a 2-year status extension? Hardly. It is easily explained (even self-explanatory), but we'll leave it at that, without further commentary...:cool:

HYATT PLAT.png

thepointstraveler and GoodBoy like this.
  2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take the bait.
    So, this makes sense, given that you applied for said new credit card which grants Platinum for as long as you have the card.

My confusion works like this.
    2011 : Apply For and receive Surpass.
    Receive gold card good through 2013. - This makes sense, CC offer was for a year from issuance, and since status expires in February the only way to make it a a year is to make it a year and half.

2012 : Spend 20k on said Surpass Dec 2012.
    Received Gold Card through 2014.
    Again, one year from Jan 1st 2013 is Jan 1st 2014 which means Feb 2014 is a valid expiry.

2013 : Received Gold Card good through 2015 when 2013 original gold card was set to expire.

No new status gifting cards. I have not yet hit 20k for 2013.

newbluesea likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went over this ad nauseam, and if I qualified on the Surpass, I would be able to get "2-year extensions" forever. It is all a matter of timing as well as of the CC company and the loyalty program being out of synch. It depends on when the credit card company finishes processing the membership or yearly charges to see if someone qualified on spend and then reports it to the loyalty program. If it is after the expiration date of the current year, then one gets the rest of that year for free (this is true for all frequent guest programs, I think; it is certainly true in the case of HHonors and Hyatt), then the one-year of status starts right after the next expiration date.

Concretely:
    I applied for the Hyatt Card in February 2013 but processing of the membership did not complete until March 2013 (i.e., after the current expiration date of 02/2013), so I got the rest of 2013 for free until 02/2014. The status that I just earned on the Hyatt card then starts right after 02/2014 and ends a year later on 02/2015. That is still a one-year status.This would have been the case if I had applied for the Hyatt card in June or November 2013. The status expiration date would have been 02/2015, but it feels like two years when one qualifies in mid-March (especially right after receiving a card that expires in 02/2014) and gets a freebie until next February, when the actual status earned starts...and lasts for exactly one year...like T&C say...;)

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am with how yours worked ;)

So your postulation RE surpass is that because AMEX doesn't push the info to Hilton until feb/march it turns into 23 months or so of status?

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. If you wish to get what appears like a 2-year extension on the Surpass, you must requalify at the very end of the year, which would push AMEX processing well into the following year making it appear as though status was earned in the new year instead of in the previous year. But note that nothing guarantees that this will work like clockwork because it is not a feature of the program; it is a bug due to the fact that there is an extra way (the AMEX way) to qualify that is not in or controlled by HHonors T&C.:)

anabolism and Muerl like this.