The Lufthansa Flight From Hell! What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by OneSweetWorld, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know what you are thinking..............here is another person blowing a bad experience out of proportion. I think it is a valid complaint, but let me know what you think.

So I was coming back in Lufthansa 747 business class (seat 2K) from Mumbai, India to Frankfurt. The plane was scheduled to take off at at 2am, which is when most flights to Europe leave from India.

Boarding was done with 2 separate jet bridges, 1 for economy and 1 for business and first class. I went through the business jet bridge and turned left as soon as I got in, as my seat was in the nose of the plane. I put my stuff in the overhead and took my seat. Everything was fine until I saw a mosquito. I took a swat at it and thought was the end of it. Then another mosquito flew by, so I took my head out of my magazine and to my surprise there were literally hundreds of mosquitoes in the cabin.

I dont know if you have ever been outside and you are swating at one mosquito, how annoying that is, now imagine 100+, and no that is not a exaggeration.

I suspect that because the jet bridge wasn't as close as possible to the plane, and that it was dark out and the inside of the plane was lit, is the reason why there were so many mosquitoes but Lufthansa flies this route everyday, so you would think they would be prepared for this because I doubt it is the first time this has happened. All the business class passengers were in disbelief that such a situation was happening and the worst part is that the flight attendants did not say sorry about the mosquitoes or even mention anything about them. They were just carrying on like nothing was going on.

My phone doesn't have video capabilities or I would have taken a video of all the passengers swatting the bugs, but I did take a photo of a lady across the aisle wrapping herself in blankets in a feeble attempt to protect herself from the mosquitoes.You probably can't tell but if you look at the couples face, they are not happy.

And then of course, as soon as the plane door closed, we were trapped on a 8 hour flight to FRA with hundreds of mosquitoes. And this is not a joke, when we got to FRA and they opened the door, I saw with my own eyes some mosquitoes fly out.

I fly to India a lot, and this has never happened to me and I understand that bugs will be bugs, but what really annoys me is that the flight attendants acted like this was no big deal and that there was nothing they could do. If this was Lufthansa inaugural flight on this route, I could understand that things happen but when they fly this route every day at the same time, I just don't understand. There are so many solutions to this problem and they had none. You could have even put a mosquito net over the door while we boarded and I think everyone would have been fine with it. Or bug spray for people who needed it would have been a step in the right direction. This can't be the first time there have been tons of mosquitoes in a plane on this route. This experience was literally like living out "Snakes On A Plane" but with mosquitoes.

Not that I would wish this on economy class passengers, but the reason why people pay $5k+ for business class is for comfort. Swatting at mosquitoes and getting bitten alive for 8hrs is not my idea of comfort.

I am thinking about writing Lufthansa a formal letter because by the end of the flight I was severely bitten and I thought the whole episode was ridiculous but I am not sure who I would even address such a letter to. Thoughts, opinions?

Attached Files:

thewinchester likes this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds terrible. I would certainly write a calm letter about it, that's the kind of thing that would make me switch airlines.....

3. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry. Mosquitoes rarely carry passports and without them they would never get past German Immigration.

4. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airport takes part of the blame in this I would believe. Write a formal letter to them and you should hear a reply soon I hope. I am just surprised they never sprayed the cabin (something which is standard on all flights I have taken from that part of the world and the middle east).

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen mosquitoues on a few flights as well- practically anywhere with a tropical climate actually. Did you ask them to spray the cabin? Typically they will do so on request. The First Class mosquitoes on the other hand are driven to the plane and picked up and taken to the First Class mosquitoe holding area.

Oli20, Rambuster, deant and 5 others like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty bad flight. :( I guess a small bottle of repellant in one’s carry on would be a wise idea. Protect yourself when the airline chooses not to.

OneSweetWorld and jmrich1432 like this.
  7. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for everyone's help, I have submitted a complaint to Lufthansa, I will report back on what happened.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  8. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only been to India a few times but I have had the same problem everytime:
    Early AM departures, plane door open for ages under full lighting: result is Mosquitos all over the C cabin!
    This is not something unique to LH but all airlines are affected by this.
    I had this on LH, OS, BA, etc ex-DEL!

I have my personal solution though : I don't go to India anymore ! [​IMG][​IMG]

OneSweetWorld and Oli20 like this.
  9. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, who knew? How annoying, and mosquito bites are too. I would never think to be sure I had repellant on board-it would be something I'd leave behind to make my carryon lighter, especially on the way back...I'm glad I read this post as I'm taking my 1st trip to India in Oct. I will def. carry a small bottle with me.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that although repellent helps, it doesn't totally prevent bites. In many areas of the world, a mosquito bite can be serious because they transmit disease.

deant likes this.
  11. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    this could be it, the moment when indian polio resurfaces on the continent.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think polio is spread my insect bites, is it? Malaria, of course, is a different story.

13. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    After reading this post, I'd agree that a fair, factual and respectful complaint letter to the airline is warranted.

And given the ticket class, discomfort caused, and the potential health risk to pax, I would consider the letter serious enough to be addressed to LH CEO Christoph Franz.

Now the letter won't get to the CEO, but it will land on the desk of the people who are delegated to handle his correspondence that warrants real attention and follow-up. If done correctly, there's a good chance you'll get a considered response, the promise of follow-up action, and not that you've been asking or expecting it - an offer of compensation or gratitude.

Another tactical point with complaints you address to this level, if the feedback circle is not properly closed within six months (as in they've not kept you in the loop as to how it was resolved) - make sure you follow up. Take the reference number from the correspondence, write to the officer who handed it originally (or CEO if not know), and specifically request follow-up feedback.

This acts as an additional reminder to the company that you are watching, and that you're concerned enough about the issue to ensure they've taken steps to prevent it from happening again.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  14. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good advise from thewinchester~

15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mosquitos don't fly Y ? ;)

k2o likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    No- they all have UA SWUs.

OneSweetWorld, Counsellor and milchap like this.
  17. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If anyone was wondering, LH ended up giving me a measly 4k CO miles. I have a ton of UA/CO miles, but will make it a point to never fly LH again even if it is in First Class and is free.