The Lufthansa Crane debuted 93 years ago today.....

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On February 10 1919, Deutsche Luft-Reederei, a precursor to the modern Lufthansa carried its first passenger from Berlin to Weinmar. The significance of this even is that the Lufthansa crane as we know it made its debut at this time as well and would be barely changed in nearly 100 years. I went deeper into this historic event on a blog post today commemorating the special day, including diagrams of the early fleet of biplanes that marked the first "heavier than air" commercial aircraft operations by a German aviation company.

flyer_o likes this.
  2. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice

It has indeed had a long and rich history. Still a very german airline....... their was only a brief time that the crane didn't adorn the tail of the aircraft....... but was located elsewhere

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    there was a period of time they didnt have a choice........Reading through the history of the 30's and 40's and the "theft" of the airlines by the "powers that were" was eye opening.

4. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knowledge is power, and I pride my self on knowledge of the Airline industry.... as well as history in general