The logistics of "RPUs"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kansaskeith, Mar 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just notified that I am now "Premier Platinum" based on 76,314 PQMs in 2014, plus a "Met" Chase Credit Card waiver. Also got a notice that the physical card and booklet take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Being a newbie at this level, with no booklet I tried to scout around online for an answer to my question, which as of now I am not easily finding. How do the RPUs come? Do I get physical certificates in the mailed packet, or do I redeem them online, or do I call the Premier Desk when I find an itinerary on which I'd like to upgrade? Also, what has people's luck been in redeeming them on transcon "p.s." routes and/or Houston - Hawaii? Do they work with any published coach fare? Thanks.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    RPUs should be in your united.com profile. Nothing physical.

When you want to redeem book a trip and then go to the "upgrade" area of the reservation. There are two tabs, the first for paid upgrades and the second for mileage/R(G)PUs. They will clear if R opens up and if not you will get them auto returned to you.

I use them on ps flights frequently with about an 80% success rate. These routes are heavy paid J though so upgrade inventory is generally held back until about 24 hours before.

Like any route though one persons upgrade success rates is not a representative sample of anything.

Counsellor, bmg42000, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    P.S. upgrades have all cleared for me for very early flights out of NYC (6-7 am), which I almost invariably book. Toughest are U/Gs for Friday evening flights coming into the city. The only 2 p.s. U/Gs that have not cleared for me in the last 2-3 years, including yesterday, were on Friday evening out of LAX (ex-LAX :D). Yesterday was a heart-breaker! I was at the top of the U/G list in LAX with 5 seats still open but there was never any movement on the list and the flight checked out full in both cabins. The nice thing with the p.s. is that coach is all E+ and yesterday I also managed to secure an exit row seat.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    kansaskeith likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    kansaskeith and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know so as not to be complacent in the future thinking that it was still all E+. I'd only looked for availability of an exit row seat and snatched 21F, which turned out to be great.

kansaskeith likes this.
  7. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avoid row 20. Not E+ despite being an exit row and there's no footwell in the bulkhead. Torture.

Just an FYI.

8. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to add something to the excellent information already posted in this thread. Make sure you enable expert mode in your profile so that when you search for flights, you can see if there is R availability before booking. [​IMG]On the UA website, you can do this through this path:

Home > My Account > Profile > Search Preferences

For my upcoming SFO-JFK PS trip, I was able to pick the flights with R availability (only a couple each way), and upgraded on those.

Counsellor and kansaskeith like this.
  9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    This "automatic" process does not always happen automatically, for whatever reason. Just monitor your account, and CS will manually put them back if you don't see them a few days to a week or so after the itinerary has been completed.

kansaskeith likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    True enough. I went to seatguru.com and saw exit row 21 as "green", meaning good seats and I picked one without looking at anything else, or I would have noticed that it was not all E+ anymore.
    United_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_C_new.jpg
    I could have grabbed exit row 20 if I had not done the seatguru thing, as I usually do.;)

kansaskeith likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of good info! Thanks for helping the newbie!