The 'Like' Feature

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by DAS02135, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am really enjoying the like feature.

It is a great way of finding what are more likely to be the "valuable" posts in long threads. That way, if you are late to the party and just skimming through, you can get the high points really quickly.

Great job, milepoint team!

sagefemme52, FLYERIL, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  2. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I like them.

3. 2lovelife
    Original Member

2lovelife Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could like my own posts ;)

Chimpy and al613 like this.
  4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the feature when it's being used correctly, but because it is tied into status there are all kinds of games that can and do go on which invalidates the value of being liked, eg reciprocal post liking between people.

Bob Smolinsky and Wanaflyforless like this.
  5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with any forum is that there are going to be personality games based on who likes one another. At least liking gives some chance for those looking for quality to find it. While there will be posts in the main forums that are liked just because someone finds something amusing or likes one another, the ones that get a ton of likes are going to be those with good information.

6. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the onus is on us to make sure that we “like” useful posts. I've seen a few people post up some useful ones and not get the likes despite lots of replies. It takes time to adjust, I guess. Otherwise, the likes will end up mostly coming from the Off Topic counting threads.

Mikel, travelingmore, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  7. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, agreed; it's an adjustment period. Maybe, as someone mentioned above, # of replies or even detecting "Thank you"s to posts that didn't get Likes will become incorporated into the algorithm and contribute to status.

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That really goes with any community building process. This is the time to try and convince people to follow the direction we want to see the community go in. I see the purpose of like as two-fold. First is to highlight something useful, and the second is to concur (In College we usually referred to this as "friend speaks my mind") so that we do not get 50 posts in a thread in simple agreement.

sagefemme52, Mikel and Cholula like this.
  9. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe we need a +1 button so that there aren't a bunch of posts in agreement?

10. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand the "Like" as a consensus button, so it basically serves the same button as +1 in cases where someone suggested something you might agree with.
    The "Like" has the potential to kill of the +1 posts once and for all - and wouldn't we all like that? :)

Sam Axe and kiwi like this.
  11. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be nice if posts that had a great number of likes were somehow highlighted? They could have slightly different background colour or an icon next to them for example.

12. vla
    Original Member

vla Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's smart. "Likes" and "recommends" are commonplace on various social networking sites, so it's a good feature to seamlessly integrate into a "next-generation" message board. It's also an easy way to say "I agree" without making a new post.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about you guys, but I've really been enjoying the tone so far on MP. Very refreshing.

Forget "like/dislike", there were times on the 'other site' I wish they had "unnecessary sarcasm" and "gee, aren't we positive today" buttons. [​IMG]

Stay awesome; we're off to a great start!

sagefemme52 and Sarah like this.
  14. Surprised no one has asked about a dislike button yet. [​IMG]

15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not on this thread, but it's somewhere. I for one.

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you not think it would be abused?

17. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dislike is a topic that pops up every so often, and is shot down just as quickly everywhere it pops up, especially since Randy gave his opinion on it.

18. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the like feature.

19. popfly
    Original Member

popfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of quickly identifying highly-liked posts. Perhaps a user-defined filter could accomplish this?

20. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if we can do this yet with a user-defined filter, but I mentioned this in a separate post and Randy replied saying that the feature has been implemented (lists of 'most liked' posts) but hasn't yet been rolled out. I'm sure it'll be rolled out soon as the all the threads grow.

popfly likes this.
  21. popfly
    Original Member

popfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds great. I was thinking to myself that it would be too soon to roll out this feature but as the number the number of replies in a thread grows, this will be a great tool to use. Only a few days in and I'm loving the potential for MP!

Gargoyle and Cholula like this.
  22. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

As was mentioned, a Dislike button had been discussed and just as quickly shot down. Too much room for abuse plus it doesn't do much for positively building a community.

23. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this brings up a cool potential feature.

Just as we have a "jump to first new post," it could be useful to have a "jump to next Liked post" button. It allows for efficient skimming such as suggested by DAS.

Gargoyle and Mikel like this.
  24. Delta Gazillion Miler
    Original Member

Delta Gazillion Miler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't participate on a lot of IBB's but this one is the first with a Like button on every post. Perhaps an offshoot of Facebook?

But I Like the Like button, excuse the repetition :) , and I think it sets this site off nicely in comparison to others.

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a website which sometimes comes up in my googling which will re-organize the lists of posts based on what users have found to be the most useful. I believe the website has the thread title be a question and then the posts sorted by best answers, but I think it could be applied more broadly and I'd love to have that option here.