The Liberty Hotel or other Boston SPG Properties

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by perryplatypus, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering if anyone had stayed at the The Liberty Hotel in Boston and what the experience was like and what is the Platinum amenity there. I was thinking of maybe burning some points there for a short weekend of sightseeing in the fall or should I pay cash for one of the cheaper SPG properties in the area. Any input, insight and comments would be appreciated.

uggboy likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard feedback from others when I was planning my Boston trip. The overall thought on the Liberty is a very nice property and a good place to stay, however there is a lack of true luxury for the price. So you won't go wrong staying here, but the price/value factor may be disappointing.

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  3. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    If I stayed there it would be on points at 12000 a night. there is no way I'm paying $699. The W, Sheraton and the Westin are also 12000 points a night too for the same time period. Out of the all the properties the Westin Boston Waterfront is the cheapest about $225 if I decided to pay cash and save points.

uggboy likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going for shopping, the Liberty Hotel may not be the best location. The Westin near Prudential and the convention center is good, with a luxury mall in the building, another major mall across the street, and an easy walk to Newberry Street.

perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want more of a boutique hotel and not necessarily Starwood, the Lenox is good with a good location for shopping. It's independent AFAIK.

There's also a historic Fairmont and whatever is now located in the historic building that used to be the RC.

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a good stay as a plat there last summer. Unique property with nice views but not a super convenient location compared to Westin Copley or W (also good and stayed there).

Got a bottle of wine as plat amenity and rate had breakfast included so it was all good. Italian place in basement is tasty. It's not hyper luxury but still high quality and has nice Molton Brown amenities. Didn't pay $699 and it was last weekend of July so YMMV.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used points for a three day stay there last November. Nice and unusual property and although I didnt get much of an upgrade ( I dont think there are a lot suites so the best you can do is an interior room facing the courtyard) breakfast was included.

So you wont be in the absolute centre of the city it is directly across the street from the red line Charles/MGH station Boston is a quite a walkable city and wandering through the Beacon Hill area with all the old homes..or past the boutique/shops on Charles Street toward the Common was quite enjoyable or alternately stroll along the river.
    Lots of good Italian restaurants in the area.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do people still travel to shop? Maybe I'm jaded but I can get almost anything where I live and/or online...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are things that I would only buy in person that I cannot get in a convenient manner near home. I could see travelling for a tailor or similar, or for items you want to inspect prior to purchase.

10. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Liberty a lot, it's not my favorite Boston hotel, but it's very nice. Personally, I have better luck at the Westin Copley Pl when it comes to upgrades/benefits.

perryplatypus likes this.
  11. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks for everyone for you input. Since it is only a weekend trip I went ahead and booked the Liberty on points but I will jump at the Westin Copley PL if there is a significant price drop between now and Sept. Come on Starpicks daddy wants to save his points :D

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  12. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you will enjoy the Liberty. I find that it has much more character than the Westin, and I like the interiors much better than the W. The location is not the greatest, but I think it has a lot going for it otherwise. Also, the Plat breakfast was great and while restricted to continental breakfast, was very generous and of high quality (last time I visited).

perryplatypus likes this.
  13. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the hotels in Boston. All of them are pretty close to major attractions. Liberty hotel is close to the Charles River, the W is right where the theater district/Chinatown, the Westin Copley right near the Prudential/Copley (mall), and the Sheraton also near the Prudential. You won't have any problems with public transportation with any of these hotels as they are all close to the T.

The Liberty Hotel is pretty cool from the inside and I would go there to grab a drink or something but IMO, you're better off staying near the Prudential/Copley area.

14. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG Gold here ( envy you Plats.. ) I just booked 3 nights at the Sheraton Boston Fri/Sat/Sun for the first weekend in June. Traveling with my 15 y/o son to see the sights and go to a Red Sox Game. Then off to NYC to see Grandma. I found all the Boston Hotels very pricey that weekend ( must be Graduation somewhere ) anyway Got $279 for the first night and Birth year for nights 2 and 3 ( Birth year promo ) The Shearton Boston does not get allot of love from Tripadvisor. Seems many bad and old rooms. Do they take care of Golds there? Know of the upgrades. I am a little tenative. Any thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travles

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Boston is a convention hotel. IMO it seems old and tired, in need of renovation. It's a good location.

Flying Machine likes this.