The Layover: Bourdain's new show (late 2011)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by SC Flier, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Layover: Travel Channel Announces Bourdain's New Show
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011, by Raphael Brion

According to a press release, the Travel Channel has officially greenlit Anthony Bourdain's new show, The Layover (the original title was 24-Hour Layovers).​

No Reservations production company Zero Point Zero is producing the ten-episode, one-hour weekly series. Last month Bourdain described the new show as "faster, more democratic and more caffeinated than No Rez. But just as obnoxious."​

Here's how the Travel Channel put it: "With only 24-48 hours in each city, he is pressed for time to show viewers the essential 'must see' places, people and foods. Bourdain will travel throughout the U.S., Asia and Europe revealing insider tips that only the most seasoned traveler would know." Said Lydia Tenaglia of Zero Point Zero: "It's Tony going straight at a city and showing what he thinks can and should be accomplished in a limited amount of time – brace yourself.​

Rumor is that an episode will be filmed in San Francisco on or around Aug 12.

Related: Bourdain fans may also be interested in this brief interview:
    http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20110705-forms-of-identification-anthony-bourdain?OCID=twtvl

kwai, Jslo, hulagrrl210 and 5 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this.

The No Reservations show has generated some interesting ideas for me. I learned a lot of things in their "outer boroughs" episode!

Their website is excellent too, and lists everything in much detail.

It would be easy to couple his 24 hour visits with an ac mini rtw award - with a bunch of 23 hour layovers!

SC Flier likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or a US North/South Asia award. ;)

NYBanker likes this.
  4. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always have a look through the No Reservations shows before I head off someplace, helps me know where to go and eat! Cool idea, thanks for posting.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    And sometimes where NOT to eat!

6. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    We actually did a major trip last year largely due to a Bourdain show. Trip report on Fodors, photos here.