THE LAX Shuffle, Airlines Vacate T6, Alaska moves in Tuesday!

Discussion in 'LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR | Los Angeles Area Airports' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    (same report posted on my blog w/ pics)

The day is ALMOST here when Alaska airlines finally leaves the shadows of their post WWII style terminal 3 at LAX and move over to a newly remodeled and shinny new home in T6! The crowded and dirty T3 will be vacated by Alaska Airlines and all operations will be moving to T6 on Tuesday March 20th! This moves brings a number of added benefits, and brings Alaska MUCH closer to their code share partners. Delta is based in T5 with some gates in T6, American in T4, and Qantas between TBIT and T4. There is a underground walkway open between T5 and T6 and will allow for very easy connections between Alaska and Delta at LAX without the need of security re-screening or waiting for a shuttle bus. Two huge perks!

Furthermore, the move by Alaska is warmly welcomed by travelers who have felt crammed in over at T3 between Virgin America, Air Tran and Jet Blue. Although the Los Angelas' World Port web pagecurrent has no projects listed for T3, I wouldn't be surprise to See Virgin America applying to revamp T3 to meet their more hip and savvy image. In addition, VX currently does not have a club house of their own at LAX T3 and as VX continues to grow at LAX I would imagine that the old Alaska boardroom will be renovated into a Virgin style clubhouse.

So what's changing at T6? If any of your have been on a Delta, Spirit, or United flight out of T6 in the last year you've probably been shocked by the amount of work going into T6 with scaffolding, plastic sheets, and temporary walls covering more than 1/2 the Terminal, so obviously a lot is changing! A $271 million renovation of T6 paid for by Alaska Airlines and LAWA. The renovation and move to T6 will offer the following improvements for Alaska Airline Travelers:

• Single terminal operation, including most international operations, to reduce long transfers to and from the international terminal.
    • Streamlined check-in area to make it easier and quicker for you to check in and get to your flight.
    • More security check-point lines that will accommodate more passengers and decrease screening wait times to 20 minutes or less.
    • Expanded Immigration and Customs facilities, including 6 international gates for Alaska Airlines.
    • Easier connections with codeshare partners like American Airlines and Delta Air Lines with a new passenger tunnel connecting Terminal 5 and Terminal 6.
    • More seating in the boarding areas, including electrical outlets for passenger use at half of the seats. You'll also be able to stay connected with in-terminal WiFi.
    • State-of-the-art LEED certified Board Room
    • Centralized customer service counters.
    • New, efficient baggage handling system, including curbside check-in.
    • Alaska will have access to 10 gates instead of the current 6 in T3.
    ALL of the above improvements are warmly welcome by Alaska airline employees and customers! I think I am looking forward to the new Board Room and the Single terminal operations the most! No more long walks from Tom Brady International Terminal to T3 after arriving from mexico to transfer on-wards to other Alaska flights!

Other Updates with the move: Spirit Airlines vacated T6 and move to T3 on 3/16/2012, Sun Country has already relocated to T2, and Jet blue moved some time ago to T3. At this time it appears at those Frontier will continue to operate from T6 along with Great Lake airlines and a few United Flights. Alaska will have preferential rights to six gates for 10 years through a direct agreement with the airport and Alaska will also have preferential scheduling rights from Delta to two additional gates and access to a third Delta gate, bringing the total number of gates to 8-9 gates depending on the time of day.

uggboy, rwoman and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they are moving to T6... ;)

DL uses T5/T6; AA uses T4. :)

uggboy likes this.
  3. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    whooopps! Thanks for the correction! Didn't get that when re reading it! I know they are moving to T6, wrote that wrong :) However directly above saying all operations would be moving to t3 on 3/20, I also said they would move from T3- t6! :)

I think there were just to many Terminals being listed all at once! :)

rwoman likes this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew from/to T6 last weekend. It was quite nice, though seemed small compared to the number of people. It was a holiday weekend so that may have something to do with it. It was quite nice, but I do feel that there was some crowding issues. Perhaps I'll write a trip report when I get a chance.