The Latest Thing In Airline Fees: United's Annual Baggage Subscription

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || The Latest Thing In Airline Fees: United's Annual Baggage Subscription ||

[​IMG]

sobore likes this.
  2. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I saw this and was hoping I was hallucinating, guess not..:(

uggboy likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    We knew it was coming. I'm betting this will carry over to other airlines.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The United Mileage Plus Club card is $399/year, and $100 rebate after your first purchase. It provides you with priority boarding, you can get 2 free checked bags, and access to United Clubs. If you are thinking about a baggage subscription, the United Mileage Plus Club card is a better deal. And you also get 2 miles per dollar spent.

5. Huels

Huels New Member

Status Points:
    The only "free " service left is the lavatory. Eventually, you'll need to swipe you credit card just to get in...

Newscience likes this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to fly enough to make this worthwhile... that's at least 14 one-way trips at $25 (regular price) for your first checked bag. Since you need 30 segments or 25k miles to qualify for United Silver status and get one free checked bag, I guess it's not that bad a deal. On the other hand, it seems like if you knew you were confining your travel to United you'd be much better off with their credit card. Interesting concept, but it seems like this would be a bit of a fine line to actually make it useful for the consumer. I guess if you knew you were switching all travel to United and expected to qualify for Silver during the year this would be a slightly cheaper way to get the checked bag than paying each time.

Still seems as though this probably appeals most to people who don't own calculators.