The lag between booking and confirmation

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sunseeker, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I booked a flight before midnight last night, but receive the confirmation today, how long do I have to cancel? Does the 24 hours run from the request time or from the confirmation time?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    mht_flyer likes this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I say from the time listed on the confirmed reservation: 'This reservation was booked at. . . '

4. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made the reservation last night. I received an immediate email saying the reservation was not yet confirmed. I have never received a confirmation email, but just now checking the web site, it says the reservation was booked and confirmed at the original booking time. So I have my answer, but shouldn't there be a confirming email? It is hard to understand why there should be a lag. I suppose this is a SHARES issue?

5. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    There should absolutely be a confirming email. You need an e-ticket, otherwise the reservation will ultimately cancel.

Unlike the legacy UA systems that could instantly ticket, the legacy CO systems do not ticket instantly, and it could be anywhere from a couple minutes to a few hours to ticket, or it may not ticket if there is some sort of problem. What's more, it's the responsibility of the purchaser to make sure it tickets. From what I can gather, there is no business process to catch unticketed purchases and reconcile them.

It's also possible that the itin was ticketed and the receipt system didn't send a receipt (that's happen to me a few times), so check the res to see if it was ticketed and you can try to generate a new receipt.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there should. But I also have a reservation that was successfully ticketed where the email didn't come through. I had one a couple weeks ago, too.

7. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. Which is why I said, "It's also possible that the itin was ticketed and the receipt system didn't send a receipt (that's happen to me a few times), so check the res to see if it was ticketed and you can try to generate a new receipt."

;)

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked two separate reservations on Thursday and it still has not eticketed yet... I'm calling UA now to resolve this issue.

9. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a downgrade since we will not be able to confirm GPU upgrade right away when the upgrade space is available.

goalie likes this.
  10. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have made another reservation since my earlier post. Both reservations appear confirmed on the web site, but I have not received an email for either of them.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I actually did get a confirmation email for my most recent reservation after it ticketed but not the two prior. I think there is still something wonky in that part of the system.

12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe that's a true statement. If you see GPU upgrade availability, call CO and have them apply it. It shouldn't make a difference whether the reservation is ticketed or not. Either way the reservation has to be re-ticketed after the GPU is applied so the agent can force ticketing to happen.

I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

-RM

13. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A question. If you buy a ticket direct from United(web or phone) that is processed via the SHARES system, is it possible to request an upgrade immediately after purchase, or does one have to wait until the ticket is actually issued in order to request the upgrade?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the ticket must be issued for the upgrade to happen. I might be wrong, but I believe that to be the rule.