The King Suite at Hilton Reykjavik Nordica & Exclusive Lounge at Blue Lagoon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by nime01, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iceland is always fun to visit, and when both flight tickets and hotel rooms are on sale for 50% off, it is also relatively inexpensive! Most of Iceland has been reviewed and documented already - this small trip report is only about the King Suite at Hilton Reykjavik Nordica and the Exclusive Lounge at the Blue Lagoon.

We purchased our flight tickets in December when they were 50% off, and in January, Hilton had their "Any Weekend Anywhere" sale. Hilton Reykjavik Nordica were selling their rooms and suites at 50% off the best available rate, which made the King Suite a very good deal at ISK 27,000 (approx. €165) per night. The Any Weekend Anywhere rate included breakfast, and access to the Executive Lounge, and the gym & spa on the 2nd floor.

There are two King Suites at Hilton Reykjavik Nordica. Both are 60 sqm and they are located on each corner of the building on the 8th floor, farthest away from the elevators. The suites are Scandinavian style to the bone, as is the rest of the hotel.

The nicely decorated suite featured fresh flowers, the floors were partly carpeted, partly brushed, natural oak, a tasteful fully tiled bathroom with a large shower and the usual Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. To create your own ambience, all lighting could be controlled and dimmed independently.

The living room had a white leather sofa and armchairs, a dining table, a TV, DVD player and Tivoli stereo system, and a desk equipped with an Illy Y1 Iperespresso espresso machine (which I liked a lot, since I have the X7 at home). The bedroom had a large, really comfortable bed (as in all Hilton hotels) and also the same setup with a TV, DVD player and Tivoli stereo system.

IMG_4719x.jpg

IMG_4721x.jpg

IMG_4722x.jpg

IMG_4726x.jpg

IMG_4729x.jpg

IMG_4734x.jpg

When we tried to check in at 1230, our suite was not quite ready, so we were asked if we wanted to wait and enjoy the amenities in the Executive Lounge. They would then let us know when the suite was ready.

Apparently, the reception was busy as we never heard from them again until at 1500 when we decided to head back down to the reception to ask. We were then immediately given our access cards, and we went up to the suite to drop off our suitcases before going out to enjoy the beautiful, sunny day in Reykjavik.

IMG_4718x.jpg

IMG_4694x.jpg

IMG_4711x.jpg

We enjoyed the Executive Lounge as well, and we asked the lounge attendant about the spa & gym downstairs. He wondered why we had not been given this information at the reception, and apologised for that. When we returned to our suite later that evening, we found a large tray with fruit and cheese platters, plus a bottle of red wine, all complimentary! A wonderful and totally unexpected surprise!

IMG_4756x.jpg

The rest of the hotel is not reviewed, as it is already extensively reviewed on Tripadvisor.

Part 2 coming soon: The Exclusive Lounge at the Blue Lagoon

2. mlarso85
    Original Member

mlarso85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying there in three weeks. I can't wait, I've always wanted to go to Iceland. Great review!

uggboy and nime01 like this.
  3. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool report so far (no pun intended). Thanks for posting.

The suite looks a little IKEA to me, but I guess that is 'Scandinavian style'.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice report!!

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you ever complete part two?

6. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not - I'll get around to it! :D

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's cool. I am the same way. My hopes to come here have also slipped away for the immediate future however thanks to the wife's boss pulling the PTO out from under us after we booked air.

nime01 and uggboy like this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised there are properties out there that belong to chains like Hilton yet haven't rolled out LCDs into all rooms...

Sweet Willie, nime01 and uggboy like this.
  9. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll get around to it, I bet.. we're going back there shortly, and we'll check it out!

10. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to wrap this up!

Going to the Blue Lagoon is fun even when the weather is really bad - actually, it feels even better when the weather is bad :D

IMG_4769x.jpg

If you pay a little extra, you get access to the Exclusive Lounge, with private changing rooms, showers and lounge with snacks, soft drinks, coffee/tea, water and a drink of your choice. You also have private, direct access to the outdoor area. Very relaxing!

IMG_4774x.jpg

IMG_4775x.jpg

Very touristy, but well worth it!

IMG_4770x.jpg

Jimgotkp and Tenmoc like this.
  11. ssedha

ssedha Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Looks pretty amazing. Iceland is definitely a place on my 'to-go' list... It's close enough for even a weekend trip :)

gomike and nime01 like this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    why were tix 1/2 off?

nime01 likes this.
  13. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Icelandair and SAS usually have some kind of promotion going on rather frequently :)

Jimgotkp, Sweet Willie and Tenmoc like this.