The joys of Flying Blue awards ....

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by GenevaFlyer, Feb 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

So here I am, looking for a one-way business class award ticket using my Flying Blue miles, leaving from the East Coast of the US, heading to Amsterdam ...

Of course, no classic awards in C from ATL .... what a surprise, not!

So I offer to be flexible, looking for IAD, JFK, EWR, BOS ....

First, the award engine troubles ... you find availability on IAD-AMS on KL ... but when you call the Flying Blue service center, although they see 2 seats available, it's actually waitlisted.

The second fun one: you find a BOS-FCO-AMS on AZ. The booking occurs, but you get a payment error. You call the FB service center, they check the booking, take your payment details and say they will get it ticketed. The next day, you check your booking and the BOS-FCO flight is shown as cancelled. So you call up again, and according to the agent, the flight is actually cancelled (although AZ is still happy to sell seats on it). So we start searching for another option. I will say, I had a very friendly agent on the phone, who was willing to look for availability from various cities.

Finally, I find a JFK-BRU-AMS on DL. The agent on the phone cannot book it. I try online, it works! So I get lie-flat seats over the pond, and then a Fokker 70 to AMS :)

But the kicker: the taxes/fees on the various options.

- AF through CDG: +/- $505
    - KL: +/- $475
    - AZ: +/- $175 (and a brand new A330 with true lie-flat seats)

- DL: $43 ! Yes, 1/10th of the taxes/fees for AF/KL and true lie-flat seats!

Talk about crazy! The difference in taxes will easily pay for the ATL-JFK ticket.

Thomask and Counsellor like this.
  2. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Sad, but unsurprising...
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

There is another side. I just upgraded two people Business to La Premiere with financial cost of zero. The sector was CDG-JNB on the A380. Had bought F fare it would have cost me more than $15,000 but instead was 360,000 FB miles. One might argue whether it is worthwhile to pay for La Premiere, which it very much is for me. Once accepting that point the upgrades were a very major bargain.