The Joys of AA schedule changes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jun 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA sent me an e-mail yesterday that the schedule had been changed for my Albuquerque trip, resulting in my arrival at 7pm instead of noon. As I'm only there for 2 nights this really took a chunk out of my visit.

Original flight: 7:05am to LAX connecting to 9:15am to ABQ, arrival 12:15pm (45 min connection LAX)
    New flights: 10am to LAX connecting to 4:05pm to ABQ, arrival 7:05pm (4.5 hour layover at LAX)

I checked Expert Flyer and the AA website and my flights were still available for purchase, although the LAX-ABQ flight now had the same flight number as SMF-LAX.

Called AA and was booked back on my original flights. I wish their software wouldn't make these kinds of changes when the only thing that changes is the flight number. I'm departing and arriving at the very same times I originally booked now.

travelinmike33 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had no idea the system did that. How odd!

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never heard of this happening...thanks for the heads up though.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very frustrating, especially on the lighter routes where service is more limited.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what is going with AAs ABQ scheduling but a similar change screwed up a family trip we made to New Mexico just last weekend. In April I redeemed two four awards .. two FLL/DFW/ABQ R/T the other two FLL/DFW/ABQ.
    At booking I was asle to syncronize all four seats on the same flights DFW/ABQ/DFW legs and since I
    was travelling with relatives I specifically planned the return ABQ/DFW with the a long enough connection time of nearly 2 1/2 hours (so as to provide a decent cushion and time enough to have lunch at DFW)

Less than two weeks here comme the sked changes both the TPA/DFW and FLL/DFW where changed about 30 and 45 mins respectively .. not a problem.
    However the return ABQ/DFW was changed from 820 am to 1055 am thus reducing the connnection time at DFW to 40 mins and 55 mins. This despite the fact that there were three earlier ABQ/DFW flights.

Called AA .. no can do .. no available award inventory on the earlier flights so were stuck with their changes and the now relatively short DFW connection to be further compounded (at the attendant stress) by a 15 min late lift-off in ABQ.

In the end we made our connections but its really very frustrating when one plans an itinerary (especially involving non FF family members) and AA changes your best laid plans with what appears to an illogical change and you are left with very limited options