The Ireland Help Desk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by GoldCircle, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. If you're looking for details on how to manage your economy or a banking system, the Ireland Help Desk is probably not the place to start. For all other matters related to the Emerald isle - north & south - post your questions here and we'll see what we can do to help!

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly off topic, but I'll be in Dublin Feb 20, 21, 22 with friends if you're about. Taking the train out to Galway on the 23rd.

3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Dublin, I love the carvery and sandwich counter at O'Neill's on Suffolk. And get out of Temple Bar! At least if you want more reasonable pints and perhaps some actual Irish people besides the staff and musicians. Skip the Guinness Brewery - it's nothing but a free pint for €15 Euro with a view - which may be nothing if it's at all foggy. Instead, go have a pint at the Brazen Head. Ireland's oldest pub and most people walk right past on the way to the Guinness ripoff.

In Galway, if you take a bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher (my absolute favorite site in the country, I go there every time I'm in Ireland) there is one company that also includes a bit of hiking the hills of the Burren on a family farm. Nice change of pace from all the others that do nothing more than drive past it all.

tom911 likes this.
  4. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I miss mushy peas and Bulmers on draught.

ArizonaGuy likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I know exactly where this is right across from the Bank of Ireland but I've never been inside. Will try to visit when I'm over later this month with friends, maybe for dinner as I like a carvery station. We're coming over by ferry from Wales.

I've walked/hiked there twice from Doolin which is my favorite spot to have down time there. The first time was along the coast and though muddy fields, and I learned my lesson not to do that again when everything is soaking wet as I sunk into the mud as I was hiking. Second time I just made the trek out along the road.

6. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are certainly some better places but for central Dublin I was quite impressed. Had lamb and bacon roasts the day I ate dinner, had a giant triple decker sandwich another day that was clearly enough for two people.

And the ferry is the best way to go! Been a while but foot passenger train and ferry combination through Virgin Trains used to be so cheap in comparison to booking the ferry alone! And you could use either Irish Ferries or Stena Line.

Yes, I did something similar. Though I usually take the bus from Doolin and hike back. In Doolin I still believe there are only 3 pubs - O'Connor's, McGann's and McDermott's. I cannot stand the ugly modernness of Fitzpatrick's - though I have to admit the food is not bad. I was forced to eat there as I recently took a bus tour (I was short on time and wanted the Burren hike tour specifically) and that's where the lunch stop was.

But this is a Dublin thread, I suppose I'm hijacking slightly.

7. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do too. But I like the more affordable large bottle of Bulmer's, tastes almost identical. But no ice, yeck.

8. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I liked O'Neills too!

I had a pretty amazing meal at Pichet in Dublin

I liked the mushy peas best at Cafe en Seine ... probably because they weren't actually mushy :)

9. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A must see is Ashford Castle on the western side. Cong County. Gorgeous property that is now a 5 star hotel. They have some reasonable packages so well worth a stay if you can swing it. One of the more impressive properties!
    Adare Manor is well worth a visit also. This is a beautiful golf property.
    Ireland is a truly relaxing peaceful isle.

desamo likes this.
  10. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 more tidbits concerning our Irish tour, restaurants and food offerings at bars shut down early. We were traveling in May, and from our experience finding a late dinner of any kind after 8 was a challenge, especially in the countryside. We had stopped at a pub for suggestions, when we were told we were pretty much out of luck at*:30 -9pm. one night. They finally took pity on us and heated up what had to have been a Tostinos frozen pizza! Ugh, but better than nothing as we had just snacked through lunch!

11. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We found this to be true too. We drove throughout western Ireland and I was amazed at the hours of the various restaurants. At 9pm in Killarney the streets were empty. I expected a party atmosphere.

12. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second the recommendation of O'Neill's - spend a wonderful afternoon there a couple weeks ago.

But my favorite place in Dublin (except for the Porterhouse which always will have a special place in my heart) was L. Mulligan Grocer on Stoneybatter -- great range of Irish Craft beers and some great food.

If you are in Dublin looking for Irish beer brewed by an Irish owned brewery, I've done a little legwork for you here (just to toot my own horn... [​IMG])

tom911, jaunders1 and GoldCircle like this.
  13. Linda Terrill
    Original Member

Linda Terrill Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you plan to stay at Ashford Castle, book through a Virtuoso agency to receive complimentary amenities and an upgrade (based on availability). There are about a dozen or so other Virtuoso-member hotels in Ireland where you get substantial benefits from Virtuoso agencies.

desamo, Chamonix and Gargoyle like this.
  14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did pop into Porterhouse on Parliament Street (stumbled upon it really) as we were walking down from Christchurch after dinner tonight and they told us "acoustic guitar" music would start at 10. We popped into two sparsely occupied pubs in Temple Bar in the hour prior and left both of them as the music did not suit our tastes. The Temple Bar itself seemed to have the best music in the 9pm hour tonight (solo guitarist singing Proud Mary when we walked in) but nowhere to sit, let alone any counter space for a beer and we didn't want to stand in the middle of the floor.

Ended up at Porterhouse 20 mins before music started and weren't disappointed. They had two guitarists (one a singer) and a spectacular guy on drums and started off with Radiohead, Oasis and the Beatles. We only stayed an hour as we have an early day tomorrow but did enjoy the time there. The Porterhouse Red was great. :)

15. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did make it here for dinner at around 7:30 tonight. Perfect timing as about 50 people seemed to come in right behind us. I had roast leg of lamb with carrots and potatoes which was very good (13 euros), and my friends had turkey and fish. I did get some photos with use of a flash that look OK on the camera. Will try to get them up here in the next day or two.

16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Porterhouse Brewing Company (Porterhouse Red for me):

[​IMG][​IMG]

From O'Neills Pub (leg of lamb for me, other photos linked below):

[​IMG][​IMG]

ArizonaGuy and GoldCircle like this.
  17. Nuts! I meant to get back to you - looks like I've missed you... sorry. My bad. :(

18. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And from our visit to the Cliffs of Moher yesterday:

[​IMG]

desamo, Chamonix and ArizonaGuy like this.
  19. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even on a foggy day, if it's not too thick the see them the Cliffs of Moher are absolutely awesome!

20. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're still in Galway, do go for McDonagh's fish & chips. Among the best if not the #1 best chipper I've found in the world. They have a restaurant too but I never get past the chip shop. Right near the bottom of Quay Street, the pesdestrianised drag. At #22.

21. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been there on prior trips and hit it on this one again. I had the baked cod and chips and the fish had to be the best I've ever had. My friends just had cod and chips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our second night there we went to an Italian place a few doors down. They served my friends chicken dishes cold, no doubt while they sat waiting for my pasta dish which was served hot. They reheated their food and it was fine, and when we paid the bill had comped the wine which was unexpected.

We're in Killarney right now and heading by train back to Dublin this afternoon.

22. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I almost tried the baked cod pie in January. It'd been so long since I had been there that I opted for the tried and true. Sort of. Usually I go with cod but I also think their salmon is awesome too so I picked that.

See here. Can't really see the fish under the chips though.
    [​IMG]

Glad the Italian place took care of you after the service mishap. In a half dozen or so trips over the past decade I've never been to Kilarney. I've gone to Tralee and the Dingle Peninsula, I've gone to Cork a couple times along with Cobh and Kinsale but that's the extent of my southern journeys there. Next trip will most likely hire a car, though I've always found the rural bus routes well suited to my needs in the past.

Chamonix likes this.
  23. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm overnighting just outside Dublin Airport and homeward bound in the a.m. One final photo from Killarney and the Ring of Kerry Tour. All the other photos from this 10 day trip are currently in the featured galleries linked below, and within a few weeks time can be found in the Europe section when they're no longer featured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

desamo, mht_flyer, ArizonaGuy and 2 others like this.
  24. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm grateful for this thread. Turns out I will be heading to Ireland (Galway) sometime in the next three months, and I have no idea about anything there! LOL! This is a complete surprise to me, so really have no idea at all what to do, what to see, where to stay, how to get around, etc. I'll be flying in and out of DUB, so...tom911, if you were happy with that hotel, do tell! Also, looks like you took the train to Galway, which I also plan to do.

I did sneak a peak at your pics, looks wonderful. I would love to see the Cliffs, do some hiking....eat some of that yummy fish and chips! Ah, see some music as well......would love to start a convo with you when you return to get some more details. Looks like a great trip!

Arizonaguy, sounds like you have a lot of experience there as well......Will be reading this thread and taking notes!

25. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, an Irish tricolor. :) I deeply wish I hadn't lost my photo of stouts. In County Cork I took a shot of three stouts lined up - Guinness, Murphy's and Beamish. Murphy's has always been my favorite, I wish I could find it more places in Ireland and around the world.