The Hyatt Burger

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by dmel, Nov 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    After Jeff Zidell's chat last week, I figured I should try the new burger out. As a refresher, here's the description/picture from Jeff:

And here's what I got from room service at the Hyatt Regency SFO:

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4 (Large).JPG

Note that I asked for no cheese. Obviously, the presentation was not as purdy as the marketing photo, but that's to be expected. Notable differences are: (1) pickle spear instead of pickle chips; (2) fries on the plate instead of in that metal thing; and (3) Heinz ketchup, mustard and mayo instead of the caramelized onion jam and horseradish spreads. Of these, only (3) is a big deal, IMO. And it's only a big deal because I wanted to try both those things.

I ordered my burger medium rare, and it arrived medium well (at least) but I didn't expect them to honor the requested temp. I can't really comment on the meat itself... it was tasty, but I think In-N-Out meat is tasty too. I will say that it was seared to juicy perfection -- it had a very nice crust. And the bun was delicious.

All in all, a nice dinner, though a tad small (but it wasn't purported to be big... 7oz sounds about right for what I received). $14 + $2.50 delivery charge + 20% service charge = $20.89 (business expense).

Now I just wish I had ordered desert....

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business expense sounds good!;)

Thanks for the timely report on the burger!:)

Will the new burger be also available in Europe // Asia // Middle East?:confused:

dmel, Lighthouse, cennas and 2 others like this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed description. Now I'm hungry...:D

lwkatya and dmel like this.
  4. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report dmel. It looks like another $21 hotel hamburger to me. I guess that is a lot better than some of the $45 hotel hamburgers in some of the pricier European hotels.

HaveMilesWillTravel and dmel like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed !
    Any restaurant/hotel should honor your requested cooking doneness for a cut of meat or burger.

That said, some city food ordinances require that ground meat be cooked to a certain internal temp which (sadly IMO) is to a medium well to well temp, the restaurant/hotel should let you know if they have to cook it to that temp when you've asked for anything less well done.

I too would have missed #3, the caramelized onions is what I would have wanted to try.

I was CRAVING a burger today for lunch, Mrs Sweet Willie & I hit the scotch a little too hard last night while sitting outside around a fire. Thankfully my city allows local burger joints to cook their burgers to medium rare, there is just something about a greasy burger after a night of drinking.:D

dmel and cennas like this.
  6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention one thing. It wasn't just Jeff Zidell's description in the chat that promised the horseradish sauce and onion jam. It was the room service menu itself! So there's really no excuse for #3.

20111116-0928.IMG_0552 (Large).JPG

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    THAT'S IT !!:mad: Time to start the Hyatt Burger Compensation Thread!!!:) (sadly we all know there are folks who actually would ask for some sort of compensation)

cennas, gleff, bk3day and 2 others like this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I dunno, a complimentary future burger at the hotel doesn't seem all that unreasonable under the circumstance! ;)

Sweet Willie, Lighthouse and dmel like this.
  9. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I plan on holding out for 100 complimentary future burgers...:)

Sweet Willie and dmel like this.