The Hullabaloo About 'Do's

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by ItsADryCold, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    Things To Know Before You Do a 'Do'

If this is your first do, have fun! I've been to several and have always found people with whom I could socialize. You'll be surrounded by people who share your mileage addiction and are sure to pick up a tip or three. A couple of things to keep in mind:

-Do attendees will share your frequent flyer interests, but little else. For the most part, you'll all have about as much in common as you'd find were you to put yourself and the fifteen other people sharing your last F compartment at a random dining room table somewhere on earth. This simple fact is what makes attending a do simultaneously suck and be awesome.

-There will be at least one person in attendance (there always is) who holds deeply repugnant views on something. They will of course insist on talking about it until they've upset a lot of people.

-There will be at least one person in attendance (there always is) who cannot hold their liquor. They will embarrass you and eventually have to leave.

-There will be at least one person in attendance (there always is) who is a freeloader. For the main dinner and other group events, be sure that all pay in advance, otherwise the host will be out several hundred dollars and you'll feel compelled to share the burden.

2. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey! I resemble that remark!:) Thank you.:D

MrsBobSgt and jbcarioca like this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have we met before? ;)

MrsBobSgt and jbcarioca like this.
  4. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    While attending a Do, I've met hard-core racists, vocal homophobes, 'funny' misogynists, religious bigots, and even a genocidal maniac. If you resemble any of the above remarks, then please keep writing so we all know precisely what you are.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen behavior that would be considered sexual harassment (and perhaps lead to employment repercussions) if it happened in the workplace in the US.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im a veteran of six Do's and have to say that Ive never encountered (too many) of the above issues... things are mostly played-down and quite manageable... at least in my experience.

Perhaps Ive been lucky....???

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've attended quite a number of DO's, some very small, some quite large, and generally the people are pleasant, interesting, and sociable. Some people get off to a very slow start- being plunked down with a bunch of folks that you only know from on-line can be socially awkward, some people who are boisterous on line are really shy or cautious in person. Sometimes there is no chemistry with a person, or people don't know what to talk about, but all of that can be worked through.

What's really interesting is how little of the talk is about flying, hotels, points and miles. We all do that on line; in person people want to talk about other things; about themselves, each other, work, adventures, food, or their favorite beverages.

Perhaps, like Gaucho, I've been lucky too?

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:

Can you reveal who the genocidal maniac was? I’d love to compare notes! :eek:

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree...I have only been to one DO and the people I met there were all very cordial...we all had different backgrounds but shared the most important one of earning as much miles/status as possible. It was GREAT being with so many different people with a common interest (cause my wife and friends are sick of my mileage talk)

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    D
    Ditto!

MrsBobSgt, Jubileesmom and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    And perhaps file a police report?

Jubileesmom and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not yet been to a DO but I do want to attend. I am having a great time here, and have the notion that most of those people will just self-select out. Maybe I am naive but I hope not.

Here at milepoint I have already been learning so much for interactions that there are posters in this thread, three at least, that I certain I'd immediately get along with. I rather suspect that is part of why DO's are popular anyway.

Never having been to one, I recognize this opinion is based on hope, not observation.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately at some DOs associated with that other place, the scheduling and subgroups can be such that you don't necessarily cross paths with all participants. Sometimes it helps to have a short list of people you'd really like to meet and then watch out for them or ask others.

Some DOs issue name tags and some don't, while the name tags can give either first name or user name or both. Assuming that people do wear their name tags, the problem then can be that the font size is too small and it's hard to read them, even if standing side by side.

Not surprisingly, the interaction is much better when almost everyone stays in the same hotel, even though we all have our favorite chains in which we hold status.

14. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Also good to keep in mind that everyone attends DOs for different reasons. Some of us love to travel and collecting miles is a by-product of that, but we get bored to tears talking about mileage programs. Some of us don't do mileage runs and therefore have no interest in talking about running strategies. Some of us are into luxury hotels while others are into staying on the cheap. Some show up at DOs because of the specific sub-activities planned like tours, seminars, etc. Some of us show up at DOs because they happen to be in a city we wanted to tour anyhow and we just want to have people to eat dinner or grab a drink with in the evening but may have other plans during the day. Some of us come alone and are seeking new folks to do things with that very weekend while some of us are traveling with or visiting friends/family/colleagues and are working the DO in with spending time with them.

DOs are definitely fun... I try to come into them with minimal expectations. Also, I'm one of those people who comes across as being very confident and outgoing on the internet... but I'm actually fairly reserved and shy in person (unless I've been drinking) which often leads to me being mistaken for being snobby. I will tend to find a couple of people that I know and stick close by them vs. striking out to work the room. I prefer events where I can sit at dinner and talk one-on-one with a smaller group of folks over events where I am floating around... unless you ply me with drinks and then I'm just silly.

15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most importantly, after a DO is over, is it is "DONE" or a "DID?" :confused:

16. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of people who have completely despised someone on FT and actually liked them in person at a Do. The opposite can happen as well

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boy, that doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement of why anyone would go!

18. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    In life, there are going to be people you "like" and people you "don't like", at least at first. And personalities come into play. If one is tolerant of the idea that nobody is going to be just like you, and you are NOT going to get along with EVERYONE per say? You can survive a DO.

I just returned from my first "DO", and I had a great time. Yes, there were people who were very different from me. I like to consider myself open though. I'm interested in anything anyone else has to say, especially in this particular area of travel;) I was fascinated with the various mileage runs people were doing, even though I am not sure I could participate in the same way they do. I met people I knew via the boards, and we even had new people to MP and FT. And I met people I never even heard of before. The larger the DO, the more personalities you will encounter.

Give everyone a chance and just learn what you can and share what you can. If the other person isn't interested, they can move on. I did a heck of a lot of learning at SFO and COS this weekend. Thanks to all participating. :D

19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... and you took a great photo I hear ;)

MrsBobSgt, Jubileesmom and Traveller like this.
  20. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who is old enough to be here (and probably most people that are at least 5) know that some people have cooties, some are icky, some smell, and some are ugly. Some of these characteristics will likely apply to a few of the people (in your opinion) at a DO. However, anyone who is old enough to be here and attend a DO should know not to make "It's A Dry Cold missed the toilet" jokes if he smells, of "JBCarioca has cooties" statements because he speaks some unintelligible language, or.... ok, I'll stop before I get myself deleted :D So, there can be icky, and creepy, and cootie filled people and downright poopookakadoodooheads, but there aren't many. Odds are that you will have fun. It is kind of like second grade recess, expect you had to fly to get there, and there are booze, points, and hotel rooms.

21. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    3 out of 20 or 50 or 200 isn't bad - and usually 2 of the 3 are the same person.

MrsBobSgt and Jubileesmom like this.
  22. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    and thankfully that same person doesn't show up most of the time (at least in my experience).:D

MrsBobSgt and Jubileesmom like this.
  23. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been to three Dos. Recommend them highly.

24. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree with this. I've met some wonderful people at DOs who I found I had quite a bit in common with, completely unrelated to frequent flying.

25. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP has never been on the BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour). The only drama that occurs is with our bus and driver. Everyone is nice. There will always be the shy and quiet types, but I have to give those people credit for attending an event.

If a DO has pre-paid events, the host won't be out any $$. I did attend one local dinner in LA once where someone ordered dinner only, but was nice enough to help himself to appetizers. He didn't want to pay his fair share since all he ordered was a main course. I guess you'll always have people like that around. The barrel is pretty big, and there's bound to be a bad apple floating around. At one DO I attended/coordinated, someone ordered a bottle of wine. I told him to get a separate check for all those that were sharing. It was the right thing to do.

Collecting money has always been an issue. You either split the bill (not fair to everyone), or collect exact amounts from each individuals. Again, pre-paid seems to work. It's one less headache to worry about.

There's not enough bandwith to tell all the stories. :D