The history & principles of Doctors Without Borders

Discussion in 'Doctors Without Borders/MSF | Assisting Survival' started by Randy Petersen, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international medical humanitarian organization created by doctors and journalists in France in 1971. Today, MSF provides independent, impartial assistance in more than 60 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition,exclusion from health care, or natural disasters. MSF provides independent, impartial assistance to those most in need. MSF also reserves the right to speak out to bring attention to neglected crises, challenge inadequacies or abuse of the aid system, and to advocate for improved medical treatments and protocols.

In 1999, MSF received the Nobel Peace Prize.

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One of the bravest groups of NGO volunteers out there.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I'm hoping we'll be able to come up with something unique to support this organization. I see examples here and I know this young community has an imaginative sense of support. MSF should complete our global charity efforts for milepoint as indicated by sobore's link above (thanks).

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    To register with MSF/DWB we need to fill out the requisite forms and establish a campaign. With some collaboration from yourself, sobore and Gargoyle I will happily do that part.

Because they do not have a formal group management process like that of Kiva, we do need some sort of goalpost mangement process just as we do for the other two charities. Have you any ideas how to do that? Is there an easy was to modify the poll function to allow for that?

I will move my MSF/DWB donations to the milepoint team as soon as we have it going. I have halted my regular contributions to them to help start us off a trifle more nicely.

Thanks very much for doing this, Randy. I apologize for my tardiness in responding to this. I have no plausible excuse.:( I will make up for that, I promise!

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    This group has been on my mind and I'm still thinking of a unique way to launch support of their efforts. I'm letting it come to me but know that in the next moth or so we'll have a drive to gather the interest of our members. If we as a community can come even close to matching the support we've given (and will continue to give) Kiva, then there is a lot to gain and give. Thanks for the note and I know we'll have a great launch for DWB.

Cheers.

7. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you! I used to do the automated monthly donation to DWB, but now just send in $$ 2-3x/year. Fully support this organziation!

8. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea! I've been a supporter of DWB for years and I'd love to be part of something like this. Any progress?

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

9. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am extremely happy to see this charity added to the list that Milepoint supports! At the launch party Jbcarioca convinced me that they are an incredible charity to contribute to!

10. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone please update the Board on what the MP team has been doing for DWB?

11. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy to see moves afoot here to help MSF. Know a couple of folk who regularly work for them in the field.

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone has sums of money they'd like to donate, but also are of retirement age - you can give a gift annuity that will pay you money each year you are alive and also benefits the charity. In addition you get some tax benefits (in the US). Depending on your age the interest rates are interesting - and even so the gift benefits the charity (or so I was told)