The Historic Line 1 Subway in Budapest: A Photographic Chronology

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Aug 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    As the oldest line of the Budapest Metro subway system, Line 1 has been in continuous operation since it was first inaugurated on Saturday, May 2, 1896 — with only the underground railway system in London being in operation longer. Although I am not exactly an aficionado of subway systems in general — I do have somewhat of an interest in them — I decided that I wanted to explore this historic subway line and experience it for myself. For a number of consecutive years, I used the subway system in New York to commute from where I lived in Brooklyn to Manhattan in order to get to a special high school which I attended; then to college; and to a place of employment after that — commuting at least an hour each way to each of those places. The need for cost-effective and efficient transportation led to me experiencing rides on subway and rapid transit systems around the world — including but not limited to those which serve... The post The Historic Line 1 Subway in Budapest: A Photographic Chronology appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...