The Haul to Hawaii - Forge ahead or rest a bit?!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by apgrizzwald, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping to get some advice as my group of 4 is split on how to handle our landing in HNL with a destination of Kauai. This being a first Hawaii trip, we're all lost.

The mission: My folks in their 50s and us in our 20s. We have a DCA morning hop then EWR-HNL direct, "BF lite" on UA15. As many know that is a 10+ hour haul landing at HNL 5:20pm local. The key is our destination is actually Princeville, Kauai by next day for our 11 night vacation (later we get 5nts at the Grand Hyatt).

The issue: I currently have two sets of reservations for that final leg and can't decide which to stick with:

1) Land in HNL, car service and a fancy lei greeting (fluffy bonus) setup to go straight to SPG Moana Surfrider, Waikiki. Two reward rooms for the night. Then Midday shuttle back to HNL - with hop to LIH, car rental ready to pickup and head to Princeville condo for 5pm check-in.

OR

2) Land in HNL, with hour and a half layover then onto LIH departing 7pm on HA. Car rental ready for evening pickup and reservation at a local joint near the airport, Garden Island Inn. Wake up next morning and head onto Princeville condo.

I suppose it's basically a question of how exhausted will one be and how are the logistics once you land in Hawaii? We've never had such a haul hefty trip as we're no globe trotters and thus definitely want some input from the experienced! Please help with your comments and thoughts. :confused:

wrxmom and miles and smiles like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would just go for it all in one day. No different than flying to Europe. In fact, the time change is in reverse, so it should be better.

3. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with Scottrick, do it all in one day so you don't have to schlepp everything back to the airport, check in, have to figure out which clothes go back in the suitcase that are clean, dirty, etc. While it is a long day, the extra time to get right on the island, especially Kauai, I think will be well worth it. Such an amazing island.

4. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do the HNL stay since CO15 is not always on time. I would skip the lei greeting though (did it once and those flowers look really sad and don't smell good the next morning).

viguera and miles and smiles like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my trips to Kauai from NC I have gone all the way every time. I've stayed at the Garden Island Inn twice. It is very close to the airport (but even closer to the beach :)). It's a short walk across the street to the beach where you can watch the sunrise, stroll along the beach and start enjoying the reality that you are in Hawaii.
    I would definitely go to Kauai without stopping in HNL.
    Enjoy!

FrankieC likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't been to Pearl Harbor, the I highly suggest laying over in HNL upon your arrival into HNL.

You'll have lots of energy the following morning early so you can take in the early tour of Pearl Harbor then get to your final desitnation on Kauai.

I found the tour of Pearl Harbor very moving and worthwhile.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in my fifties, and I'm not the spryest person in the world, but I'd do it all at once unless there's a specific reason for the stay in HNL.

viguera and miles and smiles like this.
  8. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just want to say thanks for the input on this - so after punting the decision [for too long].....It's Option 2 straight onward to Kauai!

A few tweaks: I made a 2 hr layover in HNL. Once someone mentioned that HA might not accept luggage checked through (something about PNRs but don't know that abbrev) and timeliness, I figure the extra time would be nice and we can find a lounge. I also made a back-up reservation at the Marriott Kauai. Another tidbit was that it, generally, makes for a better view considering we're waking up for the first time in Hawaii. Oh and poured a few dollars down the for the lei greeting. I'll only count on them lasting for a few hours but knowing they meet you at the gate - too cool for a first.

THANK YOU ALL

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are you going through Honolulu? Do you live near EWR, is that why you decided to go with the EWR-HNL flight?

I always break it up, connect on the west coast and fly direct to your island. If you live closer to JFK, I would do a PS flight to SFO or LAX and then connect on a n/s to LIH. That helps break up the trip into more manageable legs, and SFO has decent food options.

Are your interisland flights on the same itinerary as your mainland flights or did you book and ticket them separately? If separate you are risking having to reclaim your bags in HNL, haul them over to or from the interisland terminal, pay baggage fees again to recheck them, clear security again in HNL, etc, etc.

-David

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    He mentioned they're based out of DCA in the first post. That 10+ hour flight is killer, even if you're in F because of the craptastic domestic setup. I can imagine that anything else would require me to be heavily medicated... :)

Personally I'd do the HNL stay though... that trip is killer and you wanna start it off right. 5:20pm local is early as crap but by the time you deplane and walk the terminal it will be midnight to you. Do you really wanna spend another 2 hours at the airport to get on another plane plus another hour or two before you're at the hotel? You're wheels down at 8pm (2AM Eastern)... then to grab your stuff and head to the Garden Island Inn. I'm sorry but that's just a crappy way to start a vacation, even if it's followed by 11 nights of bliss. :)

My suggestion is just call it a day at HNL. Walk around downtown if you feel like it... if you're not staying in Honolulu at least you get to see the city and see if you wanna come back next time.

Then wake up nice and refreshed in Waikiki (and it will be crazy early because of the time difference), walk the beach at the crack of dawn and go down the street to Eggs 'n Things for breakfast or Duke's next door for lunch then grab the shuttle to HNL. Then you can really start your vacation.

But that's just me.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's 3,000 miles less than MEL-AKL-LAX-SFO and I managed that all in one go 2 years ago. No, it wasn't fun, but stopping in LAX wouldn't have helped.

12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have gone from EWR to HNL to either Kauai or the Big Island on three occasions, stopping one night twice and two nights once. Sunrise on Waikiki has become a family tradition. The two night stay was especially enjoyable with some golf and beach time. As Sweet Willie says above Pearl Harbor is worth the stop on its own, but it takes much of the day. The difference between the very urban Honolulu and the rural Kauai is notable and makes for a more varied experience. 11 nights in Kauai is a very good thing however you go.

13. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I did the stop in HNL as well last month (from ORD). It's a nice way to get your self accustomed to the time change and so that you don't waste your first day.

We also flew Island Air from HNL because we can fly directly to Kaanapali Airport on Maui for a pretty reasonable price.

No matter what, as many people have mentioned, you are in a beautiful place. Enjoy!