The Growing Divide Between Luxury and Affordable Lodging Options

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Growing Divide Between Luxury and Affordable Lodging Options

2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a hotel snob, yes I admit it and would love love all these amenities...can I afford them...not so much :oops: but I am fortunate to very occasionally be hired by the super-rich and then we travel in luxury. But, it is difficult to come home after one of these trips.

3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There still are many middle of the road to slightly higher properties and airline choices that serve most travelers well nowadays, without having to go to either of the extremes suggested in the article. Sure, it's great to have a company willing to be footing the bills for luxury flights and accomodations, or FP's being hired for her expertise by those who can afford the very best of everything without regard to costs, but that's not the usual result for most of the traveling public, rather their experiences are at the height of the travel experience, while those who chose to sleep on relative's couches, or stay in the most inexpensive properties after flying on the lowest cost flights they can find because of different circumstances, are a part of the other extreme.

There is a very large middle ground, which seems to be overlooked by the article.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there's a large middle ground, I believe the article wanted to highlight the extreme differences between very high end travel and very low end travel, these two areas are growing right now, while the middle is stagnant or gets squeezed from both sides.

Kalboz and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My middle is definately a larger middle ground, and is not as yet stagnant, but as such it may still get squeezed from both sides, although with the narrower seating on some aircraft it's not just my middle ground that gets squeezed, such that my low end that travels doesn't have much travel room, as the article implies, but isn't what was intended, IMO.

As always however, YMMV.

Kalboz, uggboy and Counsellor like this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. I've been to some Holiday Inn Expresses in Europe, in London (Earl's Court) and Zurich, about to go to one in Singapore. They do not look very low-end/Motel 6-ish to me. And to be honest, hotel restaurants/room service do very little for me, I'd rather have a nicer appointed room and have to rustle my own food...

Kalboz, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Room service meals can be very hit or miss, we`ve found. Some turned out much better then expected, while others...., however we usually partake in the hotel`s breakfast if available, as it saves time before heading out for the day.
    But we`ve never considered packing a lariot to rustle up our own food, How did that turn out?

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, one of the best chippies in London is down the street a bit from the HIX Earl's Court, Baileys. It was really good fish and chips, and the portions are as big as they look in the pictures. I'll take that over bland hotel food any day.

The HIX Zurich was a bit trickier- Subway, McD's... and a Migros grocery store that worked for putting together a meal.

The HIX Singapore I haven't been to yet, but it's not too far from the Smith Street Hawker Centre and a spot for a pints and a pie. So I think I'll be OK. I am usually not hungry for an hour or two after I wake, so breakfast at the hotel isn't a big deal.

Kalboz, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I`ve read good reports about Masters Fish and Chips in the Southwark area of London, not too far from the Borough Market. Supposed to be in an unpretentious looking storefront and interior where all the cabbies and locals come for lunches and early dinners, so that in itself should be a good recommendation. Planning on giving them a try when we get to London in the fall, as it`s not too far from where we`ll be staying, which incidently has a M&S less then a block away if we need something between meals.

Kalboz, eponymous_coward and uggboy like this.