The game of points and miles...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Beachgirl07, Apr 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Beachgirl07

Beachgirl07 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does you integrity come into play with the complex game of points and miles?

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Points are offered to encourage business.
    Spending encouraged and promote jobs.
    Banks make a profit in every CC placed.

I ran a business on Credit a Cards for many years,, I did not have the cash, nor did I want to pay interest. I spent millions, and paid every bill.

Credit is there to be used, many abuse it, and the politicians lowered the banking standards, and made them make bad loans...many property investors lost money.

Today many call the bankers crooks,, down deep we know the politicians just want the votes...

Integrity, just a word to hide behind,

Truth is their ain't no free lunches, and the fault of a failure is often in the mirror looking at you,

80% of the people are failure! they never plan to succeed.

Success is being 72 and having paid all your bills..

Never sold a house that I thought it might have been priced too high, and later wonder if I sold it too cheap...

You have to live with yourself, That's life..money and points are just a way of keeping score.

flynhwn, BWIflyer and blackjack-21 like this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Satman40 said "Success is being 72 and having paid all your bills...",......and I'll add "on time and in full !"

At exactly the same age as you, proud of that fact all my life.

Actually, it's not a game as you've alluded to. If we're going to spend our our nickels and dimes, or even those for company paid tickets, getting our miles and points may be a serious endeavor, and why take a chance of losing all by trying to evade the rules in doing so, or by using them incorrectly. It may take some time and work searching for better deals, bonuses, or even flight and hotel availability, but in the long run most of us think it's well worth the efforts.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    BWIflyer and satman40 like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to see someone else as old as me, and paid in full , on time is a great feeling I also enjoyed, ate a it of peanut butter,and heated a lot of soup with immersion heaters..,

Every rental property now is just another Social Security check, that goes up about every year...

It is not a game, but a way of life on auto-pilot...

Nice to read your post...

BWIflyer and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same age

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fear that we are becoming a nation (MP) of older pharts who should step back for a (very) brief moment and let some of those younger snapperwhippers have a say in this matter, so as not to make them feel left out, or even rightly so.

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I said 20% make 80% of the money....We are stepping back...

I do fear for the younger generation, we have lowered the standards so much to make everyone average, so no one fail at school,

And we even pay people not to work...

It is a nice picture we paint, borrowing ourself out of debt...

Do not want to be around when the weeds take over the garden...

blackjack-21 likes this.
  8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    40 years behind working on that theory. But its a good plan.

On the real question though, I think people have lines about where they take their invisible meat from. Some people famously made millions of points buying with a visa on costco.com and returning it to the store. Others raised their nose to this. Lots of people booked the JK Mistake fare which was speculated as to being a large part of the airlines eventual collapse soon after. (I booked this fare and then when my wife was unable to get the time off used the fact that the Airline had gone under to get my money back from chase)

Many more people ran Vanilla to the ground at CVS because it seemed that a large national retailer had made a business decision to allow this. On the other side many many people objected to opening checking accounts at small credit unions with a CC when its NOT a cash advance.

Others don't do things that potentially could cause "Real World" problems. For example changing their electric company.

I think the question to ask you self is, who is eating the cut on this and why? Who is paying for the miles and why?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use to build houses and ran a retail/service business on credit cards, started in the 70s, and Maybe a little earlier...50s with Allied Electronics, now Radio Shack..they gave me credit many years ago, before CCs.

The Airlines sell the miles to the bank, and both hope you fail..
    The Airline can change the value if the miles, or they could never get used.

The Banks hopes you fail to pay and interest take a nice add on profit.

Most people buy and never value from the purchase, we call it junk..
    And the Merchant know this, charging makes it easier to over spend..

We are all born, the same, most never use what they have,

20% end up with 80% of the points, and the money...

I do not think the 80% even care for the points or the money..

None of us will take it with us, and yet many plant a garden every year in the hope for the fresh vegetables, it is not about money...it's pride when you can share..

blackjack-21 likes this.
  10. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    The same way it does in other business transactions.

I won't lie, cheat, or steal to get points (so no applying for a business credit card when I don't have a business, or or buying an item on Card A and then returning it to the store and getting the purchase cost charged back to Card B). I don't look for creative ways to bend the program rules, and I don't currently play the manufactured spend or card churning game (partly out of laziness, but also partly out of the understanding that the airlines/hotels/card issuing banks need to make SOME money at their end for the rebates to be sustainable).

I'm definitely not the points-earning champion of the world, but I sleep well at night.

8MiHi, wrxmom, flynhwn and 2 others like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like x100!

12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see people canceling the cards after the points post, this is a bad move.

The CC companies wrote the rules, sure I take every advantage I can, it is that way in life, it is not much if an edge, but every little but helps.

Every business marks up a product or service, and tries to make a profit, in time. Not all at once, but in the long run.

I do not consider profit a dirty word, nor do the banks.

gregm likes this.
  13. dogman304

dogman304 Active Member

Status Points:
    I started my own business 15 years ago. I was in a situation where it was necessary to "pay as you go." I used a debit card and bank "bill pay"
    for the first 12 years. Then, I learned about points. miles and credit cards. Since then I have tried to maximize the point earning opportunities presented by the credit card companies and airlines. Gaming the system is probably not a good example of "integrity."

satman40 likes this.
  14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I built homes, ran an electronic business on CC, started in the 80s,
    2014 all paid off,

CC can be a good thing....glad it worked out for the dog also,

OPM is a good thing, they had more than we did...

15. dogman304

dogman304 Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sure who to attribute this to: Integrity is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing.

8MiHi likes this.