The FTEF, milepoint and AA supports Elizabeth Lenes scholarship fund

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by tommy777, Jun 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

The Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF) has teamed up with milepoint and American Airlines in supporting the Elizabeth Lenes scholarship fund.

Elizabeth Lenes was an exchange student from Norway spending a year in Plains, Montana when she tragically was killed in a snowmobile accident. She was only 17 years old.

My friend Morten is Elizabeth´s dad and he started a scholarship fund in Elizabeths memory. You can read about it here: http://www.elisabeth-sp.com/

The FTEF is donating 2000 USD to the fund, but in addition to that, we want to help the recipients of this years scholarships, Aaron and Mahala get to Norway to start their studies there.

You can read about the two students here: http://www.elisabeth-sp.com/18/recipients-of-the-scholarship/

I called our friends at AA and as always, they were happy to help! So this year, I´m donating 60K of my miles and AA is matching the donation with 60K miles!! (Thanks, AA!)

So on August 14th, Aaron and Mahala will take on their first long trip from Montana to Norway.

Please follow this thread to get updated on the two students travels and their time in Norway.

Thank you all for supporting the FTEF, we couldn´t have done it without you!

desamo, iolaire, wijomas and 2 others like this.
  2. morten69

morten69 Active Member

Status Points:
    This is the best gift ever. This will mean so much for the students of Plains, Montana. The first student of the scholarship program, Samantha Holyk is leaving Norway in just a few days, after spending the whole school year in Harstad Norway. The next two students is coming to Norway in August, and we could not have done two students this year, if I haven’t been for The Frequent Traveler Education Foundation, Milepoint and of course American Airlines. Thank you for supporting the Elisabeth Lenes scholarship program/fund. . I will make sure that this tread is frequently update with the progress of the students going to Norway.

Morten Lenes

Bringing the world together one student at the time

desamo, iolaire and tommy777 like this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks, a little update:

A few weeks back, I was in Missoula, Montana handing over the check of 2K USD given to the scholarship fund.

[​IMG]

Today, Mahala and Aaron starts their journey to Norway with a stop here in Chicago and then on to Norway tomorrow.

Again, big thanks to AAdvantage for putting up half the miles for the tickets!

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    And yesterday afternoon, Mahala and Aaron continued their journey from O'Hare with Air Berlin through Berlin on to Oslo, Norway.
    [​IMG]

Just about now, they are arriving at their new home for the next 10 months, Harstad, Norway. (my hometown) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harstad

Not sure I can handle 10 months in Harstad, so I'm calling in some favors so they can take a few trips in Europe this winter ;)

They will both be posting updates in this thread. WIsh them luck ;)

morten69 likes this.
  5. morten69

morten69 Active Member

Status Points:
    The year in Norway for Aaron and Mahala is soon over. 12 of June they are going back to Plains MT and after a short summer holiday, they will continu school in usa. Aaron is studing law in Missoula and Mahala is going to California to study. It has been a real pleasure to have them both in Norway and in our family. We do wish them the best of luck and i know i will see them again some day.

6. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. It sure would be interesting to hear from the two students as to what they value the most from this experience!

morten69 likes this.
  7. morten69

morten69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Aaron will register and post on this tread

8. Aaron Ballantyne

Aaron Ballantyne New Member

Status Points:
    First of all, I would like to say a massive thank you to Tommy, Morten, AA, and everyone who helped Mahala and I to get to Norway. We couldn't have done it without your help and we are grateful beyond words for the help we received from milepoint. To answer the question as to what I value most from this experience, I think it would just be the fact that I got to immerse myself into a new and exciting culture for 10 months. It has been a life changing experience for me and I've enjoyed getting to learn the language, adapt to the cultural norms that exist here and I've also enjoyed the great sense of independence that I've gained since I arrived. I've met a huge number of interesting and fun people that I will remember forever, and I value that experience as well.
    It's a difficult task to pick out just a couple of things that I value the most because as I look back on this year and what I've done, there's just so much to pick from that I don't think I could adequately explain all of the things I value. But at the end of the day I am just so grateful to have had the opportunity to spend 10 months in Norway and again, I want to thank milepoint and everyone involved in getting Mahala and I here. It's been the experience of a lifetime :)

Pizzaman and morten69 like this.
  9. Hala.Nell

Hala.Nell New Member

Status Points:
    Like Aaron said, a huge thank you to Tommy and Morten and everyone else who helped us get on this amazing chance! It wouldn't have been possible without them so thank you.
    Now what would I value most? One thing would of course would be being able to do something that I never thought I would. I got to travel around the world with my best friend and see life through an entirely different perspective than what I was used to. Lots of people from home never leave Montana and stay where they are comfortable. Getting to do this was something so far-fetched that I never thought I could! The opportunity to take a year and make it our own is something I will never forget.
    Also this was a chance to do something that was very close to me. Liz and I had an amazing 3 months and I will never forget them! Getting to come on this trip and live with an amazing family and to be immersed in a different lifestyle is incredible. We've made so many memories and learned about ourselves so much through this it's hard to believe that it all started with just a simple 'hi' to Liz when she arrived. Once again thank you everyone who had helped us get here and supported us all the way through till the end. We cannot thank you enough <3!

morten69 and Pizzaman like this.
  10. morten69

morten69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  11. morten69

morten69 Active Member

Status Points: