The Freddy's...

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Malbarda, Feb 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Malbarda

Malbarda Active Member

Status Points:
    So I just filled out the Freddy's and for the first time in "my judging" did I not put Delta top of every list. Don't get me wrong, from a practical and destination POV Delta and its SkyMiles partners are still best for my travel needs. Upgrades a-plenty (I am Diamond MM) and I love the Clubs as well. I have gotten decent success with using my miles for a variety of flights and destinations (including KLM).

But... I have to say that AA with their Advantage program, which I am only a member of for 3 years (Elite), they are very good in the redemption department. It seems to me that there are better fares to be had with them and I rated them as such in the Freddy's.

Of course this may all change when the newly merges AAdvantage will emerge anywhere over the next 12 to 18 months. But for now: Delta... be aware!

(Cross Posted at Delta and American).

Kalboz and gleff like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...
    I also received an email from SPG today soliciting Freddy's votes.
    Would a Freddy's award make a major point devaluation easier to pull off? Just thinking out loud...
    Perhaps this year it'd be best NOT to award Freddy's to those programs that are most tempted to screw their loyal customers.

skyvan and Kalboz like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think marriott's recent devaluation will hurt them this year...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're illustrating the usual reactive response of customers to their service providers. It hasn't worked too well for the most loyal customers. I'm suggesting to take a proactive approach instead. That means taking an action before they try to screw you, not just grumble after the fact.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to vote against some programs, more than for some programs. :)

Kalboz and MX like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Freddie's. ;)

The voting always has lagged the reality of the program quality; that's just the way it is. The change a few years ago - during the interlude when they weren't actually the Freddie awards - to focus on things like redeemability of points and promos do a better job of finding a good program, I think. But still a long way from perfect.

Were I to vote this year AA would likely top my ballot for elite program. UA would still beat them on redeemability IMO.

SC Flier and Kalboz like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agreed, though not decidedly so on the redemption side, but I tend to concur with both statements.

JonNYC likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I won't say that UA is incredibly far ahead of AA on redeemability but there is sufficient additional flexibility in the routing rules that I personally get much greater value there. Some of the limits AA has, like published routings on partner metal, are annoying to me. But I tend to like things like stopovers in foreign countries more.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This illustrates why I don't look at the Freddies' results as meaningful: how many of the voters are actually able to meaningfully compare UA and AA like you do? How many are going to spend significant time and effort with multiple programs? If I were to vote, I'd probably vote for what I know (unless I hate what I know, and then perhaps I don't vote) and that's UA's program because that's where I invest my time... (due to my location and destinations).

If I were to vote, I'd probably follow M7VO's approach of choosing who not to vote for to (slightly if at all) reduce the chances of a devaluation on the tails of a Freddies' win.