The Freddie Awards: who wins and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Another year of the Freddie Awards and frequent flyers from around the globe have earned their opportunity to tell everyone who is doing the best job in rewarding members of these travel loyalty programs. After or before voting let's hear your thoughts on the programs which you'll be voting for or have voted for and their value to you. Categories this year are—Best Promotion, Best Redemption Ability, Best Customer Service, Best Elite Program and Program of the Year for both airline and hotel programs. These categories are in the following regional votes: Americas, Europe / Africa and Middle East / Asia / Oceania.

Last year just under 3 million voters and you'll no likely see a "Get Out The Vote" message from one of your own programs that you collect rewards and benefits from.

Once I vote I'll tell you mine and look forward to reading your thoughts.

26 years as the voice of the frequent flyer. Cool. Very Cool.

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    No one has replied yet? I'll offer some thoughts on hotel winners:

Best Promotion: IHG's Big Win. Marriott's MegaBonus is a strong contender. I changed my mind. I want to see MegaBonus win this award. I benefitted from this Big Win, but, in general, I like MegaBonus better.
    Best Redemption Ability: Starwood? I like that award stays count for status, and the user-interface is excellent. Maybe Hyatt? They seem to have better award availability than anyone, though their online booking engine for awards is terrible and their footprint is smaller. Hyatt's picture may improve in 2014 with the introduction of cash-and-points.
    Best Customer Service: Hyatt. Their integrity, e.g. how they have honored mistake offers of Diamond status, impresses me. Day-to-day their service is incredible.
    Best Elite Program: Hyatt. Their elite benefit delivery is spot-on. Starwood's is less generous and less well delivered.
    Program of the Year: Hyatt.

The different-voting-by-regions thing feels a little odd to me. I get that regionally-focused brands (e.g. NH Hotels, based in Spain with a strong presence in Germany and the Netherlands) will get more chance at recognition if voting is separated by regions, but I see the big American chains as competing globally, too. Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, and Marriott all have hotels in Amsterdam (albeit only 1 or 2 each, v. NH's 13 properties). And, in many cases, I think the Americas-based global chains may well win some categories. Marriott's MegaBonus likely beats anything NH offered in 2013.

As I think of the winners, I can't help but think of potential losers in each category (e.g. Wyndham). Too bad you don't have some "worst of" awards.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Zabzoubi and deltagoldLass like this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Global brands do compete within those regions where they have membership. Looking at the winners circle you'll notice mixtures of winners among regionals chains and global brands. Hotel category and airlines are similar - we just could never see Southwest competing against Emirates in one ballot. Hope that makes sense and thank you for your "voice".
    http://freddieawards.com/winners-circle/

Zabzoubi, deltagoldLass and YULtide like this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Randy, for having the Freddies again this year. I look forward to them.

Just two comments (not complaints).

1. Marriott's MegaBonus is probably a good choice for Marriott's "Best Promotion" because the part of the promotion mentioned in the description is the free rooms for two stays. Probably more voters either earned that, or could have earned it, or thought it sounded like something they would like, and that will draw the votes; however, I would suspect (judging from comments on MilePoint and FlyerTalk) most Marriott elites actually preferred the points, and found the restriction to category 1 - 4 properties to severely reduce the attractiveness of that award, particularly outside North America.

Personally, I think their best promotion is their perennial Travel Packages, where you can redeem Marriott Rewards points for airline miles at 1 for 1, and I would suspect many long-time Marriott guests would agree. However, because of the high points threshold needed to participate, it is unlikely to attract as many votes as the "free night after two stays" will.

2. Too bad Cathay Pacific couldn't have been included in the Europe-Africa region to compete for Best Airline. It's a very popular program for redemptions from Europe, even though they're not using CX miles. (I understand the logic, though; it's just that if anyone asks, I always recommend they redeem on CX if possible, and consider European-headquartered airlines only if they can't get on a CX flight. Arguably the test for inclusion should be -- as with hotels -- whether they do business in that region, not whether they are headquartered in that region.)

5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elite or not, Marriott's category 4 is uncomfortably restrictive -- category 5 (the next-best excluded hotels) has way too many mid-market Courtyards, Springhills, and even Fairfields(!) to make 4 a comfortable threshold. Compare that to Hyatt: their category 5 only has one Hyatt Place. Even category 4, which is the limit for the free nights awarded annually by their credit card, only has two Hyatt Places. All other Hyatt Places and Hyatt Houses are category 3 or lower. There's even a Park Hyatt in category 4.

6. vimal

vimal New Member

Status Points:
    Jet airways will win the award due to best services .

Zabzoubi likes this.
  7. mos555

mos555 New Member

Status Points:
    can be ,yea but also ve others giving best services like QATAR AIRWAYS,we can t forget it ,service in skies,land services,free hotel in doha.....transports...food and better words.....and this can t just be forgotten freinds ,right? thank you

Zabzoubi and richard zilver like this.
  8. mos555

mos555 New Member

Status Points:
    i prefer Hayatt regency hotel company

Zabzoubi likes this.
  9. timmydammy

timmydammy New Member

Status Points:

10. timmydammy

timmydammy New Member

Status Points:
    yeah qatar airline are really trying lately and their services to customers are superb

11. timmydammy

timmydammy New Member

Status Points:
    qatar airline food are very nice and neat.their hostess are accomodating and their drinks are good

12. richard zilver

richard zilver New Member

Status Points:
    Qatar airline always give the best service in sky, land, customer information service, transport, hotel transit or free hotel in doha with 24 hours service, food, morning pick up with their best smile and nice word. I think qatar airline is the best airline service

Zabzoubi and Sandrina like this.
  13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Making the Freddies fair must be a huge challenge.

Most people are really only intimately, and currently, familiar with just a few airline and hotel programs, and those are the ones for which they are likely to vote. Of course, people can always switch alliances when they are really unhappy or desirous of a perk they see in another program, but, unless they can get comped status in the new program, that requires some sacrifices, as least for a year or so.

For the years that we were traveling intensely and chasing miles and status, we were UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond and Starwood Platinum, so those were the programs for which I voted. We have now retired and are dipping into out FlyRA accounts in our old age, so we see things very differently than we did in the past.

The only miles we have to redeem are UA, Delta, AS and AA, so those are the only airlines from which we can speak with experience. Delta is for sure the worst, at least in terms of cost, but for UA, AS & AA, it depends on where we want to go. Lufthansa flights using UA to Europe have always been our favorites in the past, but we have recently discovered Emirates using AS miles, and that's a pretty cool trip if you don't mind a couple of days in Dubai. AA miles are great for domestic awards--probably other things too, but that's the only way we have used them. I won't know how I will vote on this until I see the ballot.

HHonors and SPG are both amazing programs and have treated us very well over the years. We were actually lucky enough to get Concorde tickets using Starwood AMEX points. We once traded in 100,000 AMEX points for 250,000 Qantas miles which was enough for two Concorde tickets. Woo Hoo! Of course, that was back in the day before BA soaked you with taxes for flying in and out of London and I decided to quit flying them. My vote will probably go to Starwood because I love the 4:00 p.m. check-out, the availability of cash-and-points, and their generous upgrades. In the USA, they also tend to have better lounges than HHonors.

bigx0, Counsellor and Randy Petersen like this.
  14. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm just a newbie but my favorite for now is Hyatt. Scored three nights in an Andaz suite for the cost of a mixer (thank you Kohls!) and just returned from four nights at Hyatt Eacala, which I thought was an amazing deal as just a category 4. We even got upgraded to a suite on President's Day week, and are holding a suite upgrade at Aviara and a great cash and points res on the Lake Tahoe property. I got into this game for international travel but have been pleasantly surprised at the values and ease of hotel programs. I have a Starwoood redemption booked too but so far I'm getting much more value out of Hyatt.

15. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:
    Best Hotel promo: I like IHG Big Win better.
    Best Redemption: SPG
    Best Airline Loyalty program: this one really depends. Some will choose AA, some will choose United. I chose United.

deltagoldLass likes this.
  16. Lissy M

Lissy M New Member

Status Points:

...Agree regarding Cathay Pacific. Great service, always.

Zabzoubi likes this.
  17. saied_star

saied_star New Member

Status Points:
    Great .. .how i can win and i got my gift and im in Russia

18. saied_star

saied_star New Member

Status Points:
    Worse Airline i have used was emirates Airline .. and its difficult to complain ...

19. saffyres

saffyres New Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Southwest and Hilton fan. Marriott is my second choice. When it comes to second-choice domestic airlines - no thanks, I'll drive!

20. lindac

lindac New Member

Status Points:
    Southwest is the only airline we fly!! Companion pass rocks!

21. volvogirl2

volvogirl2 New Member

Status Points:

22. volvogirl2

volvogirl2 New Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree w/ your Hyatt comments! Best customer service I've ever experienced -- I think a good analogy is the way one feels if/when your Doctor treats you like you are her only patient.......

23. lewisdl=DL

lewisdl=DL New Member

Status Points:
    I have voted for a few years, staying with Southwest and Hilton brands. Loyalty works both ways. I do a lot of traveling in our construction business, SW and H brands can accomodate us in most location.

24. Mauricio Pienica

Mauricio Pienica New Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't find Melia Rewards as a Hotel Loyalty program to vote for. I think is one of the bests and I voted for other as it is not pre selected. Please consider to include it for future surveys.

25. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's very interesting to hear why people voted for, and in a way, against these different corporations. Much better than seeing just a ranking, is seeing the explanation behind making the choice.

uggboy likes this.