The food on BA...

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by redtailshark, Oct 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...of late, has been quite good. J/W cabins and even Euro Traveller Y.

The four choices in J are better than some of the competition.

phraktur likes this.
  2. phraktur

phraktur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. BA has recently made an effort to "improve" their catering in all classes, both in presentation and taste. As a frequent traveler in the World Traveler cabin, I have been very impressed with the changes.

In addition, BA has actively been seeking feedback on the catering changes via online surveys. They have sent an email after each of my recent trips. I've been very happy with their proactive efforts at improvement.

3. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    from what i have seen, CW has seen improvement but F seems to be worse given some of the reviews i have read.

4. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed........equally some of the F food is good but inconsistent depending on route....;)

5. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a recurring FT thread about F catering in which the same people talk repeat their same grips about F food.

My feedback is this: Some airlines try to to do old fashioned sliver service, caviar, frills and trollies. Very formal. The BA approach is more modern and straightforward. The emphasis is on seasonal food - but it is generally well prepared and presented.

As I said in the other post about LX v BA - LX along with certain asian carriers are consistently better in F catering. But I've had some wonderful meals on BA. I've also had some pretty average stuff. This has been similar to my experiences with AA, LH, CX and AF. Generally the quality of the wine on BA and the attentiveness of the crew overcome any catering disappointments, unlike some of the other carriers I've mentioned.

Personally I prioritise the quality of the seat, service and cabin ambiance far higher than food. If I want a great meal I'd go to a restaurant. IMO airline food is - at its best - perfectly adequate.

EZEIZA likes this.
  6. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i agree 100%, it is after all and in all cases, airplane food. i also agree that most of the time, it is adequate. i also agree about the hard product, but from my perspective, flying on CX lots, and lots recently with new J, if i were to choose either BA or CX to a destination where I have a choice (and usually it comes up for me on my trips to india), new CX J versus any form of BA F, BA F would loose in the hard product unless it was free to me in F (op up)...i do not seen enough on the difference in hard product to justify even burning miles for the upgrade...although that said, BA CW is generally 2-3KCAD$ more than CX to India so it is rather moot in any case.

as to wine, even what either airline serves in F is below what i am furtunate to drink daily given my wife's bad habit of collecting good wine. her view is that Krug NV is a starter champange...;) good, but no bolly RD and certainly not vintage Krug...

recently, however, a TR on Korean air in F did suggest that someone in a wine dept on an airline is putting their thinking cap on...CX selections just as what I have seen on all airlines in F is so so and not stuff i would drink on the ground...free nice, but i get free booze all the time so the unlimited tap is sort of a novalty for some but not me...

7. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well said.....totally agree.

8. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some, these little annoyances seem all too important. It is, after all, only airline food, no? Agree wholeheartedly with these posts. First world problems to be sure...